Mr.Beer Community

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Jdub

Starting to think about HME and LME

Right...can’t see going over 1 cup for a lbk recipe. If dry means less sweet like I think it does, I’m down with that. Don’t care much for sweet beer.
  3. DrMJG

Eisbock

I am getting together any suggestions I can about making an Eisbock. Everything I read says to make a good Doppelbock to begin with and go from there. I have gathered that the actual technique for freezing the bock is as basic as it gets and that I will loose volume in the process. As further conditioning is needed, I will have to draw up my patience until it is time to enjoy. Has anyone made this using MB materials? Hoping to celebrate the start of the new year with this one. I have had one in my jaded past and can't wait to try the process.
  4. DrMJG

Wild wheat + citrus

I tend to use a bit of lemon at time of drinking. I can point to my German relatives for this method.
  5. Either way, there's no really good reason it should have leaked after being fine for 3 weeks not propped up. It was also fine the first two days of cold crashing while propped up and apparently gave out the third day. I'd planned not to cold crash the next one, but I probably will. No reason to live in fear.
  6. Yesterday
  7. Shrike

Flavor??

And there's a good bit of variety within the style itself; fruity, bitter, not bitter, etc.
  8. epete28

Flavor??

Have you had IPAs in the past that you liked? That style certainly isn't for everyone. I love it myself, but many don't.
  9. Brian N.

Krausen overflow advice needed

After an overflow I like to twist the lid 1/4 turn in each direction just to make sure the vents are clear. Leave the lid on.
  10. Palmetto Brew

Flavor??

Good to know, thanks!
  11. D Kristof

Flavor??

With some styles, I have a difficult time judging the final conditioned beer. Some I have actually given thought to who I could give it to. After conditioning, I have second thoughts about giving any away.
  12. Palmetto Brew

Flavor??

Hi all, I have just bottled a batch of Diablo IPA after 3 weeks fermentation and 3 days cold crashing. I gave it taste test right before bottling and to be honest I didn't care much for the taste. I don't think it is an off flavor or that I did anything wrong, I just don't think it is my favorite. I know conditioning will "enhance/change" the flavor some but how dramatic of a change can I expect? The reason I ask is because I won't let beer go to waste but I am hoping after conditioning I might actually like it at least a little bit.
  13. BDawg62

JDub, Be careful how much honey you add. If you get above a certain percentage it changes from a Beer to a Braggot. 😉 You are correct that Honey will dry out your beer. I have a couple of recipes that I add some honey to do just that. Dawg
  14. MRB Josh R

Dead And Berried Saison, new MRB recipe

I guess my work here is done. lol. 😆
  15. Jdub

@BDawg62 @Cato thanks to both of you. I don’t know what it is......I’m starting to think about what @Creeps McLane and some others have said about adding honey. I just tasted my 2nd round of horse’s ass ale last night. Has 1 cup honey and I steeped honey malt and added lme this time. Was drier (which I like) and less apple taste. I’m going to start doing more honey. I have a few hme cans that I need to brew bc of expiration dates of the yeast....etc. then I will go get a dme recipe. My local HBS sells dme kits already pre-packed like mr beer kits. I can just 1/2 it. Yes it it is hotter than $&#@ here this time of year, but it’s amazing the temp I can get in my coolers. Works good. Have a good weekend all.
  16. Thanks, @RickBeer, I appreciate the reply and advice. I'll leave it on until I'm bottled. I always thought that a higher gravity beer or one with fruit, or sugar might overflow, but this is a 1.055 OG batch that should end up in 5.2% range.
  17. Creeps McLane

I guess a quick google search could help also... Heres what the AHA says
  18. RickBeer

Krausen overflow advice needed

Do NOT remove the lid. Dry hopping should be done at the end of week 2, fermentation is done way before then.
  19. So my first LBK overflow from krausen. Must have happened yesterday sometime as I had looked in on the kegs the day before. I pulled the keg out of the mini fridge and cleaned up with paper towels and Star San and sprayed the LBK and wiped it down. I checked the top on the LBK and I loosened it slightly in case their was still some pressure or in case the release slots were clogged. I'm inclined to leave the lid on rather than trying to take the top off and clean the threads on the LBK and risk some dried krausen falling back into the wort. What do you think? This was weird in that I brewed this batch a week ago and was thinking of dry hopping tomorrow since krausen should be finished but not going to do that now. What a malty mess that overflow makes!
  20. Creeps McLane

@MRB Josh R what if a guy wanted to use fresh raspberries? what would the steps in that involve? would i have to bland them up and soak in vodka? im not interested in making a sour version so id want to keep the bugs out. ideally id like to add them to my conical at secondary
  21. Shrike

First partial mash attempt & newbie mistakes

Nottingham is a beast of a yeast. It does its job and does it well. As far as carbonation goes, I too use Domino Dots. One cube is perfect for 12oz bottles for me, two for a pint or PET bottle. So it's even easier to do than batch priming. For my tastes, darker beers like stouts and porters and high ABV beers don't need to have a large amount of carbonation.
  22. BDawg62

JDub, Do as Cato says, I brew 2.5 gallons all the time. I use Beersmith and just let it scale 5 gallon recipes to 2.5 gallons. But if you don't have Beersmith, you can just halve a 5 gallon recipe and it will be good. With DME it is very easy to weigh out your ingredients prior to brewing. I only brew 5 gallons when I am satisfied with how a beer turns out, after several 2.5 gallon batches. One thing to remember is that your next door neighbor can brew a recipe and you can brew the exact same recipe and both beers will be different. Maybe only slightly different, but they will be different. Equipment and a lot of other factors play a role in how your beer turns out, not just the recipe.
  23. Cato

I've never batch primed either, but had pretty good luck with those sugar dots, equal to 1/2 tsp, in 12 oz bottles. I like that Nottingham and US-05, as they are described as neutral yeasts with low esters. Glad your beer turned out well!
  24. Cato

I halve those 5 gal. recipes, or if I need to be more precise I'll scale it to 43% for a 2.13 gal batch and run it through Qbrew to make sure my numbers line up. I know you're using temp control, so it's weird that you are still getting off flavors. Must be that hot Texas weather causing some yeast stress!
  25. Creeps McLane

Rhizomes

Kinda freaked out today. I saw a few leaves had some strange white residue on them, I immediately starting googling powdery and downy mildew pics. Then i go to work and think on it for a bit. The white residue seemed to be kind of in a straight line affecting 5-6 leaves. Then I determined, it was bird poop... 🦅 💩. Im gonna stop worrying about it. RDWHAHB
  26. Gutterbunnie

Reporting back that it seems, despite my mistakes, BBP turned out pretty awesome:) I took hydrometer reading today which was at 1.008 after adjustments & decided to bottle before the heat wave this weekend. The sample was very tasty & I'm really happy the yeast was able to do it's job afterall! So it's seems that Notty is not a bad yeast to work with, and it settled nicely in the bottom of the LBK. I didn't even cold crash. And after bottling, the yeasty sample I tried was really quite good so I think that Notty might be a go-to Ale yeast for me. The only thing I'm not too sure of is if I used enough priming sugar. This time I boiled corn sugar in about a cup of water & then added that liquid individually to each bottle. But I didn't break down the amount to go into each 12 oz bottle correctly & had some priming solution left over. It yielded 22 twelve oz bottles from this batch & had about 8 tsp of the priming solution remaining - enough to put into 4 12 oz bottles. I don't have a priming bucket so I don't batch prime. Well, even if it's not super-carbonated, I'll drink it anyway because it tasted too good to waste. If anyone wants to chime in on carbonation for Porters - are they still good even if less carbonated? What I mean is are there some beers that are better less carbonated or more carbonated? Thank you to everyone who has encouraged & offered me advice along the way. I'm really enjoying this hobby (as you might have surmised). It's given me a good creative outlet outside of work, and luckily my hubby is very tolerant;) Just got my somewhat used *old motel* mini fridge - up & running in garage - already put a few beers in it to cellar and/or lager until ready to drink or share. Cheers guys!
  27. D Kristof

Carbonation

Old Faithful Pilsner. Like. A few of us admit to opening at leadt one of our batches over a bowl to catch the geysers. LOL.
  1. Load more activity