Forums

1. Mr.Beer Community Forums

1. 155,738

Post any questions you may have about using the community and anything technical support related.

• Yea, me again.  Still researching this one.  Found info on these links:   https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/how-to-add-fruit-to-beer/ http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=253994 https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/when-is-the-best-time-and-way-to-add-fruit-to-your-beer.64464/   have a lot of good advise.  So far, I have:   - If the fruit is fresh, sanitize it with heat (165degrees) or soak in pure grain for an hour.  Some say vodka isn't enough (alcohol should be 62.5%) - If the fruit is frozen, it is already sanitized.  I'm seeing that freezing kills off the bad things in life - If the fruit is strong flavored, use one pound per gallon.  Weaker fruits might take two pounds per gallon   My plans, as of now (please toss in opinions) is to get three one pound bags of frozen cranberries for the two batches I'm going to make.  A week before I make the beer (which, probably will is this weekend), I'll take sanitize the blender and a container.  I'll slightly chop the fruit, put it in the container, and put it back in the freezer.  Per the first link, "It is said that freezing and thawing fruit a few times helps release more flavors by breaking down cell walls, which means a fruitier brew!".  Next week, I'll make the base wheat beer as normal, and keg them.  After one week of fermenting, I will take the fruit out of the freezer, sanitize the blender, and puree the fruit. Half the puree will go into each keg.  One keg will be made with Splenda, one not, thus one beer will be tart and one sweet.   Welcoming thoughts, comments, etc
    •   I have made some nice beers with a variety of MJ yeasts, but avoid Mangrove Jack's "M03 UK Dark Ale" yeast aka "M15 Empire Ale" yeast.  I have had 3 batches now with horrible attenuation and/or off-flavors.  The fact that MJ has rebranded this yeast several times now should have been my first clue. 
    •     Yes, and no.   Ideally, you refrigerate for three days only what you're going to drink in 3 days.  I have labels, I write the date it goes in the fridge.  At the beginning of a batch, if I'm slow to dig into it (at one point I had 13 choices), 2 weeks after the first bottles went in I removed them, added more conditioned bottles, and crossed the date off, putting them at the rear of the batch to condition more.   If you have made a lager (95% of Mr. Beer recipes are ALES), then after 4 - 8 weeks warm conditioning you can store all of them in the fridge.
    • I guess that depends. If you're crushing the whole batch in a week, it probably doesn't matter.
    •   so apparently I am dong wrong (or at least missing out) by refrigerating the entire batch at the end of conditioning.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Popular Contributors

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts