Mr.Beer Community

Forums

1. Mr.Beer Community Forums

1. 160,699

Post any questions you may have about using the community and anything technical support related.

• Back into the brewing this week trying a Josh Weikert based Altbier recipe. As usual with a new recipe, I'll stay fairly close to the grist ratios with just some slight grist substitutions on my part. So interested to see how it fares against my Dusseldorf Alt. I think I'll always want to have an Alt in my inventory.   Next after the Alt will be my return to a Witbier. Heavy wheats are totally out of my wheelhouse but Erdlinger Wit, Mothership Wit, and Blue Moon fall in it. I find myself often adding either white or red wheat instead of Carapils or Carafoam to my recipes these days.   Poor wheat grinds from suppliers prompted me to get a grain mill last fall, and since then it's made a big impact on my BIAB process.
    • Lol, I’ll just tell the she-devil I HAVE to purchase more kegs... I like sleeping with my beer stuff.
    • The one gallon jugs are probably just for fermentation and not pressure resistant. That means carbonating in those jugs would create a huge mess when the pressure cracks the jugs open. If you ferment in one jug and transfer into a second jug with an airlock for long term storage, you risk oxidation (wet cardboard flavors), skunking from exposure to light and infections. If it was my beer and I hated bottling, I'd suck it up and bottle until funding permitted me to keg.
    • That is what I would do ideally. I can’t afford more kegs right now, so I wondered if there was any point in brewing a batch ahead and storing it mostly flat until a keg freed up... sounds like it’s not advisable?
    • The idea is to fill the pipeline. I only have two mini kegs, so if they are occupied, could I condition beer in jugs and carbonate them later in the kegs when the kegs are available...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Popular Contributors

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts