• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room

• timing issue
      Good explanation Nickfixit. Makes sense to me. Maybe when I get more "experienced" I will try that, but for now I am ok with a little haze :). But if I do decide to Cold Crash, I would just move my LBK gently to fridge for it (typically 3 days in fridge)?
    • timing issue
      "Cold Crashing"  is a step to clarify the beer before bottling by chilling the fermented wort, so that the suspended particles drop to the bottom and the clearer beer can be removed to bottles. Carbonation relies on there being enough yeast still remaining in suspension when the beer is bottled that it can ferment the priming sugar and carbonate the beer. The issue noted above by JA with "carbing" must be because too much yeast has cleared from the beer during "Cold Crashing" so not enough is transferred to the bottles for making carbonation.   This is not something you HAVE to do.  It is something you CAN do if you want REALLY clear beer, especially if you are entering competitions. Personally I have never done this, but I don't care about a little haze in my beer, although most times the beer will get pretty clear anyway. Yeast is healthy to ingest anyway.  
    • timing issue
      New to brewing-  Confused.....as normal. Cold-crash after fermenting?  In recipe I found from Josh, it didn't say to do this.  So if I make this, do I "Cold crash" for 3 days then bottle and remove from drive for condition? Bottle then "Cold crash", then condition? Or do as other recipes, bottle and condition, then refrige for at least 3 days and drink?
    • Help Creating a Pale Ale Recipe
      Thanks for the input. OK well I THOUGHT I had an American Ale but....nooo.  :-/   OK so I can use a base HME of CAL, Aztek, American Lager, or NW Pale. NW Pale has higher IBU but is darker. I am leaning towards the American Lager, but at IBU of 17,  I need another 20 IBU - compared to American Ale  for a total add of >43 IBU (Aztek or CAL will be a lighter base so would need even more IBU )   So with the same process, I guess I can just add more time to the Simcoe hop boil .   From the calculator that looks like - Simcoe 0.5 oz for 15 min = 29.3 IBU Citra     0.5 oz  for 5 min  = 9.6 IBU Total ~ 40 IBU, probably enough.  Keeping the HBC438 as Flameout and Dry hop.   The writeup for HBC438 says "The first hop ever released exclusively for homebrewers, HBC 438 is an experimental variety of neomexicanus that is openly pollinated and native to North America. Expect prominent tropical and stone fruits, herbal, spicy, a subtle cedar note in the aroma alongside a dose of good will—all proceeds go directly to finding a cure for ALS."

• New Collaboration Recipe - Mesquite Agave Ale!!!
      Here's our blog post with the story about the brewery and some images of his facility. http://blog.mrbeer.com/mr-beer-catalina-brewery-collaboration/   And here's a video interview we did with the Brewmaster, Hank Rowe:  
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Popular Contributors

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts