yankeedag

Simple Guideline

181 posts in this topic

Great Guide Yankee

There is also a different between UME and LME. Both are Liquid Malt Extracts. I believe UME is a Mr Beer Term to clarify the difference between it and the hopped version

StarRaptor, good call. But I think the UME's are pretty much the same as the LME, only in smaller portions, ment to compliment the MB HME's. My biggest fear over this whole thing is interjecting Too Much Information too soon. That's not to say I don't want to address things, but as a new brewer perv's thru the list, there is a bunch of new information tweeking their head. Their heads hurt already. So I'm just wanting to give them a small smack to the head.

Still looking good! Though one little thing: when you're talking about boiling the hops, the third section should mention that it's talking about aroma. The graph did, but the text doesn't.

So, if I understand tip #10, you can boil hops for either bitterness, flavor or aroma, but not more than one of those?

Great post - I gained quite a bit of info from it.... Thanks.

yankeedag wrote:

That is why there are multiple additions of the Hops during the boil.

Someone post the hops boiling graph. That graph explains so much in such a small graph.

yankeedag wrote:

ok, I posted the chart in it. Scroll up to the post

Cool thanks. I think the graph along with the words helps to make more sense to someone just reading about boiling hops.

skydvr wrote:

So, if I understand tip #10, you can boil hops for either bitterness, flavor or aroma, but not more than one of those?

Great post - I gained quite a bit of info from it.... Thanks.

As you can see from the graph yankeedag posted, there's a curve for each, so when you boil for different times, you can get a combination of bitterness, flavor and aroma.

You get some bitterness boiling even for a short time, and you get more as the time goes on.

I'll sometimes take a bit of a shortcut and do two boils, one for 30 minutes (where flavor and bitterness intersect) and one for 15 minutes (where flavor and aroma intersect).

For more information on hops listen to the Mr Beer Radio shows on hops:

Part 1
Part 2

I can't believe I ever missed this thread! (It's been a rough couple weeks of being sick)
Nice topic dag!

Dag, since you're so open to editorial criticism...you might want to change lesions to lessons! :laugh:
yankeedag wrote: (at the very end of his non-fictional epic novel)

...All this is lesions learned by many. Take this information for what it is worth. Learn from others, or re-invent the wheel on your own. It’s YOUR Beer.

Also, for further reading (it’s also in a updated book form:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071205194030/www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Unless you've been hurting yourself from brewing and causing lesions! :blink: :laugh: ;)

I have a question on boiling. The Mr. Beer directions say to bring water to a boil, then turn off and add all ingredients. My next batch will have hops, should I boil the HME and UME with the hops? I know your guideline gave times for hop boils, but the basic directions don't give any instruction on it. I am going to make the Full Moon Marzen next.

Fio534 wrote:

I have a question on boiling. The Mr. Beer directions say to bring water to a boil, then turn off and add all ingredients. My next batch will have hops, should I boil the HME and UME with the hops? I know your guideline gave times for hop boils, but the basic directions don't give any instruction on it. I am going to make the Full Moon Marzen next.

You can boil UME to facilitate a hop boil schedule. But do not boil HME. HME already has hops boiled to spec and if you boil the HME further, you will change the hop profile.

yankeedag wrote:

...DME: Dry Malt Extract [can be used/boiked for hop addition, but must go thrugh a "Hot Break" Boil first]...

yankeedag wrote:

...boiked...

Boik? Isn't that the noise made when Moe pokes Curly's eyes? :laugh:

nah, that's the noise the spoon makes with the pot boils over and you drop your spoon to life the boiling pot.

If you're planning to do a hop boil with UME/DME, what is the process?

Bring water to boil, add DME and hops, boil for appropriate time?

Or add DME to (non-boiling) water, THEN bring to boil, add hops and boil for appropriate time?

Does it matter?

Thanks...