yankeedag

Simple Guideline

181 posts in this topic

I wouldn't add DME to boiling water - clump city. I add my DME to the water while it is heating up (all at once). Then I whip the crap out of it with a whisk. It breaks down rather quickly. Bring it to boil. Once you're past the hot break, start your hop introductions per schedule.

Thanks... And if I understand "hot break" - it happens sometime *after* the start of the boil, and is where a foam will rise from the wort.

When that foam stops being produced, and you're back to your typical rolling boil is "after the hot break", and when you add hops and start timing the boil?

The DME hot break happense at about 211*212*F. I've taken to holding the temp at 210*F for about 10 min. and allowing it to gently do a hot break. You'll see that during this process, the color goes from a creamy color to the darker clear color.
I will add the DME to the water while it's still cold. As it heats up, I gently stir and the clumps dissolve.
Once the hot break has happened, then you may start your hop boils.

Bump... new additions by request. ok you spelling beez... time to comb over the new stuff... I'm sure I've buggared the engrish rangerige again.

added a section for priming... need to perv it out and make sure I didn't buggar something up.

yankeedag wrote:

added a section for priming... need to perv it out and make sure I didn't buggar something up.

I haven't read it in a long time. It's a good read with a lot of good information.

I have some minor corrections to suggest. Nothing in terms of facts, style or approach. Just grammar/spelling things (I used to teach English . . . ).

In the pictures
VERIFY your measruements!!
s/b measurements

In the section on brewing temperatures:
If you get the temperature too low, they yeast will go to sleep.

s/b the yeast will go to sleep.

Under Bottles:
Why is there air..no, that's someone elses thing..never mind.
s/b else's (and I remember when he came out with that routine).

generaly
s/b generally

Other types of Bottles/Plastic:
Root Beer bottles... cleant them with COLD WATER.
s/b clean them

I thank you kind sir. I have made the corrections. As Always, if there is something that should be covered, and isn't, let me know. If someone wants to add something, as long as you are happy with me saying "from the BeerBorg" I will consider adding it, or summorize it, if it's too long.

bpgreen wrote:

Under Bottles:
Why is there air..no, that's someone elses thing..never mind.
s/b else's (and I remember when he came out with that routine).

not to hijack, but I have the album on vinyl

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. you will be assimilated. resistance is quite futile:we have beer.

no worries. that's why it's here.

Hi All!

Now beginning my sixth batch of beer. My wonderful wife bought me the American series variety pack for my birthday next week.

BB

YeashIdLikeABeer wrote:

Any chance you could rename this to "Things I should have read before brewing that first batch"? :pinch:

Too wordy.
How 'bout "NOW YA TELL ME!"

well, I figure that most people won't find this until AFTER they get the kit and brew the first. Plus, nobody listens untill after their first batch is drank strait from the keg...

I feel like some kind of freak. I actually waited 2-2-2 on my first batch.

Of course, I immediately went all "Mad Scientist" and started mixing thing and adding adjuncts, so maybe mine was just a different brand of newbie.

FWIW, I went 2-2-2 as well. But then again I'm a rocket scientist, ever so slowly going mad; so following instructions to the letter to prove I could actually brew beer was step one. Step two, do something more difficult. Step three, go nuts.

Step three starts Saturday. :woohoo:

Hey YD, Awesome thread. Should have read this when I got back in to brewing earlier this year. I brewed quite a bit about 8 or 10 years ago and then made a couple bad batches (flat and/or foul) and just quit. As in QUIT for almost 10 years. These forums probably didn’t exist then or maybe I would have stuck around… But I digress...

I do have a suggestion fer ya... Somewhere near the top (after your astute mission statement) I think you could add more about the actual brewing process. You mention sanitizing and laying out ingredients, and then jump right to cooling the wort. Perhaps a few brief tips about hops, spices, adjuncts, etc. As in, “There are two ways to add additional hops: boiling and dry hopping (and while we’re at it, here is why you would add hops…).” And then continuing, “Mr. Beer says to remove from heat when it starts to boil, but what they really mean is, do not boil the HME. Not only is it OK to boil hops and some other ingredients, sometimes it is absolutely necessary…” You cover some of this later, but seems like it could be tweaked a bit or possibly rearranged.

I know some of this is kind of detailed, but certainly no more so than calculating CO2 levels, batch vs. bottle priming, and cold crashing, so it may warrant inclusion.

Thanks again for posting…
Tin Man