yankeedag

Simple Guideline

181 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Dev said:

It's probably here somewhere, but I guess I missed it. Noob question. I just set my first batch (Churchill's Nut Brown) to ferment last weekend. When I'm ready to bottle, how full do I go with the included bottles in my kit? Also, I read one post that said put the sugar in before the beer when you're bottling, to avoid foaming. Does that still apply when using the carbonation drops?

Fill them about 1.5-2 inches from the top. ALWAYS add your priming sugar first.

Dev likes this

On 3/22/2017 at 0:13 PM, MRB Josh R said:

Fill them about 1.5-2 inches from the top. ALWAYS add your priming sugar first.

Uh oh!. I was bottling a brew about three weeks ago and ran out of bottles. I sanitized a couple and filled them with beer. I realized just before I capped them I forgot the priming sugar. I added it anyway. Are these bottles going to go tango uniform?

3 hours ago, planewrench said:

Uh oh!. I was bottling a brew about three weeks ago and ran out of bottles. I sanitized a couple and filled them with beer. I realized just before I capped them I forgot the priming sugar. I added it anyway. Are these bottles going to go tango uniform?

No, they will be fine. I have forgotten in the past, too. It's just always best practice to add them first.

There is a lot of great information here and I am trying to soak it all in.....But nervous newbie question coming.. I wanted to know more about conditioning temperatures. I hope to brew throughout the year but am concerned about Summer temps. I plan to store my bottled beer away in a dark closet with ambient temperatures inside my house averaging 73-75. Will that be too warm? 

Your concerns should be on FERMENTING temperatures, not conditioning.

73-75 is perfect for conditioning.

For fermenting, mid 60s is great for the WORT temp, not the air temp.  Since an active fermentation can gain 6 - 10 degrees, you need an environment where the air temp is ideally in the lower 60s.  Or a cooler where you monitor wort temp and add frozen water bottles to lower the temperature during active fermentation.

Marius and kedogn like this

Thanks- this forum has been a great help. I am preparing my low tech fermentation cooler (igloo with frozen bottles). Just wanted to be sure the conditioning will be fine. Not trying to do any kind of lager or cold conditioning at this point. Hoping that my IPA fermented OK without the cooling chest. That will be ready for bottling next week after cold crash. looking to start an Irish Stout next so maybe will be ready for St. Paddys Day!!

Shrike likes this