Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
acortely

Anyone primed with Nerds candy???

Recommended Posts

Got an all grain 2-row and white wheat malt fermenting for a few more days. Instead of priming my bottles with table/corn sugar I'm wondering how Nerds candy will work. My wife likes fruitier beers. I do too but in limited quantity. Has anyone tried this? I have a hunch it will work as it's pure sugar. I'm trying to make it have a fruity flavor, but don't know how much flavor besides priming the candy will give it.

On another note, I was going to add some fruit extract perhaps. However, at my local beer supply store it is only in cans/sizes that are 20+ ounces. Good God, I don't need that much! Any recommendations on a substitute? How much for 2.5 gallons?

Gracious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

acortely wrote:

Got an all grain 2-row and white wheat malt fermenting for a few more days. Instead of priming my bottles with table/corn sugar I'm wondering how Nerds candy will work. My wife likes fruitier beers. I do too but in limited quantity. Has anyone tried this? I have a hunch it will work as it's pure sugar. I'm trying to make it have a fruity flavor, but don't know how much flavor besides priming the candy will give it.

On another note, I was going to add some fruit extract perhaps. However, at my local beer supply store it is only in cans/sizes that are 20+ ounces. Good God, I don't need that much! Any recommendations on a substitute? How much for 2.5 gallons?

Gracious

You want fruity beer than use fruit, better hops, or a great yeast. Please don't make me slap you for using nerds.

Go to an organic store for good extracts in smaller amounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if you could accurately calculate the amount of sugar in X ounces of Nerds candy to know if you're using the proper amount for priming.

I also don't know how much flavor the candy would impart. I think it's odd that your LHBS only has huge cans of fruit extract. I've routinely gotten four ounce bottles of extract, very useful for adding at priming.

If you want fruit flavor, I'd suggest adding either pureed fruit during secondary fermentation, or (depending on the fruit flavor you desire) fruit zest added in a type of dry hop during secondary.

It might be too late for this current batch, but that doesn't mean you can't try it again and plan ahead for the fruit flavor you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better reach out and slap me! It'll be worth trying at least in a few bottles. It ain't too risky, just wanting to experiment and try something unconventional and different.

What hops would you recommend to bring out a fruitier flavor? Yeast?

Thanks for the post!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

acortely wrote:

Better reach out and slap me! It'll be worth trying at least in a few bottles. It ain't too risky, just wanting to experiment and try something unconventional and different.

What hops would you recommend to bring out a fruitier flavor? Yeast?

Thanks for the post!

I just used a new germen hop called Saphire that is suposed to have a hint of tangerine in the flavor profile. Look some others up and let u know tommorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info! I'll likely look for a 4oz bottle of extract or its equivalent. Yeah, 20+oz are too much for me. I won't use that in time before it goes bad. If worst comes to worst I could order one online. I've added lemon zest during the dry hopping process and really liked that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting experiment. I would try 1 or 2 bottles just for the sheer curiosity.

There are a bunch of dyes and carnuba wax in them. No idea what the effect of those would be on the beer. The ingredient that is concerning is the malic acid. Malic acid is a component of apples that give them their tartness. So basically you would be adding an ingredient to your beer that would make it taste like green apples. NOT a good idea in general.

However, according to this article on Malolactic fermentation the yeast would possibly convert that acid to something a bit milder that might make for a "rounder" mouthfeel.

In the end, I say go for it on 1 or 2 bottles and see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

D Rabbit wrote:

acortely wrote:

Better reach out and slap me! It'll be worth trying at least in a few bottles. It ain't too risky, just wanting to experiment and try something unconventional and different.

What hops would you recommend to bring out a fruitier flavor? Yeast?

Thanks for the post!

I just used a new germen hop called Saphire that is suposed to have a hint of tangerine in the flavor profile. Look some others up and let u know tommorrow.

+1 on the Saphire (Actually think it's spelled without the e at the end). I used them in a summer wheat ale and it came out great. Hard to find though because they're so new. I got mine from Rebel Brewer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Santium hops give you some nice orange flavors. Amarillo will give you grapefuit. Citra hops are great too. Belgian yeasts will give you citrus, pears, apples, lemon, pepper, cloves, and more.

I'd use any of the above gladly. Only way I'm tossing a nerd into my brew is at gunpoint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha. Wow. That certainly is original. I don't think it would be worth risking 2 of my beers that took 6+ weeks to create by adding something as unpredictable as Nerds or any sort of candy in general. But if you're willing to try, please let us know how it works.

If you're looking for fruit flavors in beer, the most obvious thing that comes to my mind is buying cans of pureed fruit from MR. Beer or other places and adding it into the wort/secondary fermenter. (I'm told you get a lot more flavor if you add it into the secondary)

One good site I have ordered several products from is Home Brew It. They have lots of cool stuff including a large selection of fruit, spice and other flavor extracts. If the beer is already fermenting, this will be your best bet. They even offer a simple guide as to about how much you may need per 5-gallon batch depending on which flavor you pick. Most are sold in 4 oz. containers which would be enough for 2 Mr. Beer sized batches depending on how strong you want it to be.

As for future batches, I've heard Citra hops are great for Belgian ales or wheat beers as they add an intense citrus flavor. Any Belgian yeasts are likely to add a range of flavors from the esters they release. Primary are clove and banana, but there are many others that vary based on strain and conditions during fermentation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FedoraDave wrote:

I don't know if you could accurately calculate the amount of sugar in X ounces of Nerds candy to know if you're using the proper amount for priming.

I would think they should be crushed up into powder to measure...and estimate that your measurement is a little light on the sugars because of the other "filler" ingredients.

Either way, I'd like to know how the experiment bottles turn out. Just out of curiosity.


Or go by weight...use a scale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tywinter wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

I don't know if you could accurately calculate the amount of sugar in X ounces of Nerds candy to know if you're using the proper amount for priming.

I would think they should be crushed up into powder to measure...and estimate that your measurement is a little light on the sugars (emphasis mine) because of the other "filler" ingredients.

Either way, I'd like to know how the experiment bottles turn out. Just out of curiosity.


Or go by weight...use a scale.

The word "estimate" being the operative one. Estimating is not the same as "accurately calculating", and when it comes to priming sugar, an estimate can mean an undercarbed beer or a bottle grenade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not try this due to the fact most of you said the beer gods would be sent to hell if I experimented some...

the Saphir hops turned out great. it's a fruity finish that is subtle, but nice. I dry hopped with some in the primary for 14 days too. My wife smelled peaches, but I didn't. This worked great with the American Ale Yeast.

Overall good batch of brew!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

acortely wrote:

I did not try this due to the fact most of you said the beer gods would be sent to hell if I experimented some...

the Saphir hops turned out great. it's a fruity finish that is subtle, but nice. I dry hopped with some in the primary for 14 days too. My wife smelled peaches, but I didn't. This worked great with the American Ale Yeast.

Overall good batch of brew!

Excellent! Good thing you didn't experiment with a couple of bottles and miss out on more of a really nice brew!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Missed this thread originally.
Wow, what an interesting read...
Gotta appreciate a new guy pushing the envelope. Also gotta give him props for reaching out for advice.
I'm glad the brew turned out nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't let anyone pursuade you from experimenting! After all, the Earth was flat until some crazy guy came up with the idea that it is round. Nobody believed him. The point of brewing your own beer is too brew your own beer. I am interested to know what happens when you use nerds for priming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LovesaStout wrote:

I wouldn't let anyone pursuade you from experimenting! After all, the Earth was flat until some crazy guy came up with the idea that it is round. Nobody believed him. The point of brewing your own beer is too brew your own beer. I am interested to know what happens when you use nerds for priming.

Well, I can see your point, but there's also something to be said for trusting the experience of others.

Brewing is not an exact science, of course; it's a craft, which blends science and art. So there's plenty of room for creativity, which has been employed in the past. Witness all the varieties of beer extant, and the well hasn't run dry, either; new styles and variants are cropping up all the time.

But science is still part of the equation, and science will not be denied. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts. The Earth wasn't really flat just because people believed it was, and then when someone decided it might be round, that was when it became round. What I'm saying is, certain principles exist that influence the physical world, brewing included.

Being curious as to what priming with Nerds candy will produce is one thing; taking it a step further and gathering information that would dissuade a person from trying it is another, and, IMO, better way to go.

1) You can't get an exact measure of the sugar content, so you might under- or over-prime.

2) You don't know what the other ingredients used in the manufacture of the candy will do to the beer.

These two unknowns would be enough to keep me from trying it and potentially ruining a batch of beer.

But hey. Give it a try yourself if you're of a mind. I'd love to know what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to experiment with priming give DME a try, you won't be dissapointed. Tastybrew.com has a brewing calculator to find out how much to use.

There's a recipe in "Clone Brews" for a Maple Wheat Ale that incorporates maple syrup to carb.

I know neither of these suggestions are fruit, but are tried and true methods to experiment with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I, like zobl missed this the first time. I just listened to a Basic Brewing Radio where they were trying cider primed with different sugars, and one of the bottles was primed with two mini marshmallows. I dont think it turned out so good but I was amazed and never would have thought to try that.

I am disappointed that you actually didnt try this and that so many people were against it. I think just for that reason Im going to go get some nerds and prime some beer with it. No I wont know "exactly" how much to put in each bottle but I can guesstimate pretty close.

I remember this crazy young brewer who wanted to make a beer with asaparagus. He did it and it didnt turn out great but he had fun doing it.
Oh wait that was me. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×