Mr.Beer Community
Lylebobyle

Texas, y'all!!

I'll be in Austin next week for business. Never been there before. Any good brew pubs to check out?

PM me so we don't clog up this thread. I have a copy of the 2013 Spring Austin Beer guide in my hand.

"OikoEco" post=360885 said:

I'll be in Austin next week for business. Never been there before. Any good brew pubs to check out?

Flying Saucer is pretty cool, but not really a local place. I think they're in Houston and DFW also. They have an amazing selection of beers though. Pretty much anything you can imagine. Brew exchange on West 6th was a cool idea (stock ticker scrolling with prices that are constantly updated based on sales. Low sales = low prices and vice versa), but its basically a club. Not my cup of tea, but they do have a good selection of beers on tap. I also like Black Sheep Lodge on south Lamar or Sherlocks on Research.

Just for Texas:
For Sale..
2 tap keg'n ater w/JC (Holds 2 5 gallon corny's and one 3 gallon corny)$350.00
6 Corny's (5 gallon) @$35 ea = $210.00
1 corny (3 gallon) $90.00
144 X 16oz brown flippies w/extra gaskets. @$1.75 ea= $252.00

Total: $902.00

I'm from the Dallas area...new to brewing with Mr. Beer. What kind of competitions are there? I saw Mr. Beer of the Month. How do you get picked for that? Hey ya'll to all my fellow Texans!

Yep! NE Texas, just outside Texarkana. Just bought my first beer kit. Can't wait to get started. After the first blush has worn off, I'll be homebrewin' Stout. I have Charlie Papazian's book "The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing". Doing a lot of reading in that book, and have read Mr. Beer's book also. I love me some Guinness Stout. So I'm going to be brewing up the Stouts along that line later.

Welcome!!! I'm actually FROM Texarkana..the TEXAS side!!  :)

Looks like we have a growing family in the central Texas area. We've always been too spread out to organize a get together in the past. But pretty soon there may be enough of us from San Antonio to Houston to Dallas to actually make a get together worth the trip. Since some may have to travel 2 or 3 hours each way, sampling a bunch of homebrews might not be safe on the same day, so it may require an overnight stay. But smaller, closer visits might work in just one day. Back on the east coast I could travel to 2 or 3 states faster than I can travel in just one state now. But I see our numbers growing here lately, closing the gap a little. I mknow from experience, whenever I get together to sample homebrews for a few hours, I'm in no shape to drive anywhere too soon.