Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
System Admin

And the winners are.....

Awesome - I made the top SIX.

Thanks MrB CEO!!

I would be remiss if I did not mention that I owe thanks to all of the big hitters on this site - all of the Ninkasi, the Uber Brewers and the One and only NONG.

I started brewing with MrB in May and if it were not for this forum, I would not posses the knowledge I have today regarding small batch extract brewing (and even exploring going to partial mash and maybe even AG eventually).

Mike,

Just wanted to say that the contest was great! Unfortunately I was on vacation and told to stay away from the computer so I didn't see it until it was over. You are sooo generous and good to us all! I don't think anyone was expecting you to award all those prizes!!! Once again the Mr Beer brand has impressed me beyond belief and has solidified the reason why I'm a customer for life!!!

Thanks,
Steve

I'm also happy to have participated. I enjoyed working on my spreadsheet, as have all the other contestants.

If you've got the two minutes, go vote fellow forum users.

Agreed with the others... Thanks to MrBCEO and the other Mr. B staff for hosting this contest. It was a great deal of fun, win or lose. If I happen to be so lucky to win, I will put the supplies to good use. If I don't, then I'm sure the winner will do the same.

And it appears you were generous with all of the contestants (giving recipes and extracts, etc. to all participants), so kudos to you all...

I agree!

A big thanks to MR Beer for adding yet another personal touch to what might easily be just another corporate media portal... Well Done!

A fun and informative contest, one that improved my math skills just watching other Borg crunch the numbers!

Awesome!

And kudos to Mike and his team for considering the range of creativity shown by the participants... ( yes, brown nosing it was but I never expected to be in the running for anything... So thanks for the consideration and I will happily chose a recipe that I have not tried before to continue the learning experience! )

And most of all, congrats to ALL who participated and best of luck to the finalists!

I, for one, can't wait to see what the concensus is on the total!

:cheers: :)

I did not know about this contest and want to file a protest since I did not hear about this. If this protest is denied then I will have to go scratch my namesake and drink my namesake!!!

[attachment=9043]harry.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9042]Bawlsbeer.jpg[/attachment]

I'll add my thanks as well! Great contest that really got the creativity flowing. Thanks for the consolation prize!! Congrats to all the finalists!!!

Tis the voting season so head on over to the voting thread. As they say in Chicago, "Vote Early, Vote Often!"

Gee...wow! I'm one of the Final Six™? I'm flattered! It's exceedingly cool to see how generous Mr.Beer is and to have such a geeky, quirky contest. I hadn't seen Swenocha's entry until today, and wow...that needs to win! I'm just here for the beer... :cheer:

As an entrant I didn't personally agree with many of the self imposed limitations of most of the other contestants: must use only basic Mr beer techniques, requiring at least one hme, things like that. However, the entrants had a lot of creativity, sound math, were well defended, passionate and respectful, final six are well deserving. Looks like a close race and rightly so.
:chug: :charlie:

Down with powerpoint! LOL.

This was fun regardless. Note that the total Mr. Beer CEO used from my thread is the big one if I counted the new fruit that Mr. Beer added and the new hops that were also added that JoeC dug up. My "standard" total basically should match Swenocha, because he is using the same math I am, it's just that Swenocha decided to put his stuff into "buckets" and somehow that's got his total slightly different, but nobody has seemed to track it down yet (I haven't had time to dig into it). I'm certain my numbers are "correct" for that math, but he has a fancy evil powerpoint that's cool. Except that powerpoint is a tool of the devil. LOL:

:evil:

Yah, if we remove the late fruit/hops addition, my number is in the low 2 million range. My number is so drastically low compared to others because I believed that if I could conceive of one non-viable recipe using my own parameters and the ingredients provided, then I would have to find a way to parse out which recipes were and weren't viable in my calculations. I think my idea of a non-viable recipe was American Light + 2 Booster + Boysenberries + 2 Fuggles + Cider yeast. In fact, I removed a couple of yeasts for this reason.

Anyway...

I think either mashini or swen's number is the mathematical limit. I tried to figure out where the differences were, but I didn't find it. Maybe I'll try again. Mashini's has my vote because, well, it was first. Swen's entry was by far the most polished (stinking powerpoint...).

I voted for Swen's presentation as I said I would in the contest thread. However, all of the finalists deserve a lot of credit for the time and effort they put in their estimates. That said, I think we should make Mr. B produce all the varients to show the numbers are correct!

[attachment=9048]dr-strangelove-be-optimistic_2012-10-04.jpg[/attachment]

"TimeTraveler" post=288519 said:

I voted for Swen's presentation as I said I would in the contest thread. However, all of the finalists deserve a lot of credit for the time and effort they put in their estimates. That said, I think we should make Mr. B produce all the varients to show the numbers are correct!

They should start sending everyone in the Borg a random set of ingredients once per month. We can brew and review.

I feel like both of our calculations are sound, but I'm thinking we'd find that one or the other used a different assumption or something along the way related to how we calculated in one (or more) of the ingredients. I haven't had any time to break it all down (probably moot anyway), but I'd bet that that's what we'd find, since we used similar methods from different angles.

As for Powerpoint... my managerial side sneaks out past my developer side now and again... ;)

Wow, I just went back and read the thread in detail, and realized I got a consolation prize. Pint glasses. That's cool. I always say, if you can't be smart, at least try to be popular. Thanks, Mike. And thanks to everyone for reading my posts.
:banana: :banana: :banana:

"Joechianti" post=288531 said:

Wow, I just went back and read the thread in detail, and realized I got a consolation prize. Pint glasses. That's cool. I always say, if you can't be smart, at least try to be popular. Thanks, Mike. And thanks to everyone for reading my posts.

... and a recipe of your choice... ;)

"swenocha" post=288532 said:

Wow. Even better. I need to start paying attention to details. As soon as I saw the pint glasses, I got so excited I didn't finish the sentence. This is so cool. And I've been combing the thrift stores lately looking for some good beer drinking glasses. Seriously.

That's awesome, Joe. I'm glad you are getting something that you can not only use but that you also wanted.

Well deserved, my home brewing friend.

Wonder what Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth prize will be..........

"Joechianti" post=288534 said:

"swenocha" post=288532 said:

Wow. Even better. I need to start paying attention to details. As soon as I saw the pint glasses, I got so excited I didn't finish the sentence. This is so cool. And I've been combing the thrift stores lately looking for some good beer drinking glasses. Seriously.

"swenocha" post=288530 said:

As for Powerpoint... my managerial side sneaks out past my developer side now and again... ;)

I buried my managerial side in a hole some time back. Don't want to go back there. Powerpoint give me nightmares LOL. Happy being a code and network monkey these days.