Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
System Admin

And the winners are.....

I'm mostly a manager in name only these days. I do development 90% of the time, with only very limited meeting and powerpoint responsibilities fortunately. Unfortunately that is due to understaffing by not filling positions when people leave, which forces us into a lot of overtime, etc. (and severely cuts into my brewing time, which explains why I am shifting back to extract brewing for the time being, but I digress), and also forces me out of the 50% development/50% management that the role was originally based in. I don't mind the development at all (in fact, I usually enjoy it), but I also enjoy the "working with the customers to develop business need and scope" part of things as well, and I am almost out of doing that out of necessity now... sigh...

I only wish I'd thought to do a deck. I can Powerpoint and Chart & Graph the hell outta almost anything.

These days at work, they are trying to get us to stop doing 40 page decks though so I guess I defaulted to that mindset.

Swen's presentation was very good, no question.

A quick look at the new tallies show that Mashani is pulling ahead. I might be looking for hanging chads soon... ;)

hanging_chad.jpg

(kidding... kidding... maybe. Ok, definitely kidding... ) :lol:

Regardless of the outcome, this is the result for all of us: :party:

EDIT: 250 votes? that's gonna be some wicked late voting, CEO! That would certainly blow this thing wide open for any of the six!

"swenocha" post=288615 said:

A quick look at the new tallies show that Mashani is pulling ahead. I might be looking for hanging chads soon... ;)

hanging_chad.jpg

EDIT: 250 votes? that's gonna be some wicked late voting, CEO! That would certainly blow this thing wide open for any of the six!

So, if the Mr.Beer Community Servers can handle a vote every 25ms. and the polls don't close until tomorrow then how many..... Oops, never mind, this is not the group to start that with ;)
Cheers!
MikeB

"MrBeerCEO" post=288618 said:

"swenocha" post=288615 said:

hanging_chad.jpg

So, if the Mr.Beer Community Servers can handle a vote every 25ms. and the polls don't close until tomorrow then how many..... Oops, never mind, this is not the group to start that with ;)
Cheers!
MikeB

You are such a trouble maker MikeB! I Like that !!!! :P :laugh: :chug:

Cheers!
MikeB

3,974,400 votes, assuming polls close at midnight.

First! Winna, winna... chicken dinna!!!

:banana:

:laugh: ;)

"swenocha" post=288621 said:

Cheers!
MikeB

3,974,400 votes, assuming polls close at midnight.

First! Winna, winna... chicken dinna!!!

:banana:

:laugh: ;)

I used my Mr. Beer decoder ring, and came up with 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42. Extrapolating that with the going market rate of pork bellies, and carrying the median retirement age, I come up with 3,974,401.

Awww.... Only one vote? Do I need to get my wife to create an account so I can get more than one vote? ;) I need to get me a SuperPAC to campaign on my behalf. (Super six-PAC?)

Regardless of the outcome, it was worth it just for the chance to explain factorials to my 10-year-old. :think:

This actually did tie into some of my kids school math, so it was good in that regards here too.

Swenocha, I spent so much time as a manager/developer in a place where we supposedly used Scrum, but the chickens wouldn't shut up and let the pigs talk in a standup, or get their sprint done without interfering. And or they expected me to act as both a chicken and a pig. And/or they violated the entire premise of the standup and turned it into a long drawn out meeting every day which means we got nothing done. It make me insane. Which is why I work from home now independent, and haven't gone back there even though I've been asked a few times.

I probably just confused the heck out of anyone who doesn't know scrum LOL.

We use XP (which is pretty darn similar to scrum), and were actually pretty successful with sticking to the principles for a while, but my team has greatly migrated out of project development and into production support (which really sucks in terms of being a development manager... now there ain't much to manage and XP really doesn't play into a prod support setting).

"swenocha" post=288669 said:

We use XP (which is pretty darn similar to scrum), and were actually pretty successful with sticking to the principles for a while, but my team has greatly migrated out of project development and into production support (which really sucks in terms of being a development manager... now there ain't much to manage and XP really doesn't play into a prod support setting).

Did you actually do pair coding when you did XP? Just curious. They wouldn't even consider XP due to this where I came from. (how can that be productive say people who don't know any better).

Yes, our management was very adamant about pair programming. Works pretty well... virtually eliminates code review. Now, as my team of 15 was broken into three smaller units and my team has gone to small developments and prod support, we're not quite as strict about it, but the web teams in particular work that way almost exclusively. In fact, we've eliminated personal cubicles and/or desks in favor of laptops and tables. That's been a bit controversial, but we had been moving that way for a while. The personal desk spaces were rarely used prior because most people were paired at the tables...

What you didn't already figure out we were geeks LOL.

@swenocha, There are shops here where folks don't really even have their own "desk" really, just a shelf somewhere to stick thing on. Everybody's got a laptop, wireless, and they just move between various communal spaces that act as "virtual desks" along with whoever they are working with at the moment. It works very well for them from what I can tell.

EDIT: Removed any proposals on what anyone should do related to this contest. It's really not my place to say. They can really do whatever they deem correct. Regardless, I'm appreciative of the votes, for the fun contest, and for whatever prize may come my way. And congrats to Mashani and the other finalists.