Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billp

Update on my brewing

10 posts in this topic

Some of you guys may remember me posting here a while back in a bit of a panic because of some issues with a brew of Jamaica Mon. Well, I'm back to update y'all.

After 8 weeks in the bottle, the Jamaica Mon isn't horrible. There's no hint of the taste I thought was fusel when I first tried it but it never really did smooth out. I guess because of the booster. Anyway, its drinkable, but I wouldn't brew it again.

Next up was Baby Got Bock. Because I couldn't hold the brewing temperature in the 50s, I brewed using Wyeast 1728 "Scottish Ale" instead of the "Bavarian Lager" yeast that comes with the recipe. Holy Smokes!! This stuff is GOOD!! And its only been in the bottles for 5 weeks! Very smooth, nice head, good body and mouthfeel. I will definitely keep a supply of this in the pipeline.

I've got a case of Deluxe Bavarian Weissbier (with an additional 250g of Golden extract above the recipe) conditioning now. I sneaked a bottle out after two weeks and it wasn't too bad, not quite ready yet, but not too bad.

Tonight, I bottle my fifth batch, its the 1776 Ale, with a 250g pouch of "Smooth" LME added. I was a bit leery of the added hops, but from the hydrometer sample I drank last night, its gonna be another home run!!

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys and thanks for talking me down a couple of weeks ago when I got discouraged!!

I just ordered another bunch of refills!

Ya I brewed the Jamaica mon and I thought that it was just ok nothing great I won't brew it again.

Awesome, man! Glad to see your brewing is going well. I am waiting for some of the Heavy McWee to condition out now. I tasted the Hydro sample and dang was it good. Patience... must... have... patience.

:stout:

I have one in the LBK that I have concerns, nothing worse because there is nothing you can do but wait and wait and wait.

Glad it turned out

billp - Yep, it took my Jamaica Mon 8 weeks in the bottle before it was good. I think it will be even better in another 4.

Good thing I have about 4 cases of other brews in the pipeline so I can wait it out.
:chug:

"billp" post=358319 said:

Some of you guys may remember me posting here a while back in a bit of a panic because of some issues with a brew of Jamaica Mon. Well, I'm back to update y'all.

After 8 weeks in the bottle, the Jamaica Mon isn't horrible. There's no hint of the taste I thought was fusel when I first tried it but it never really did smooth out. I guess because of the booster. Anyway, its drinkable, but I wouldn't brew it again.

Next up was Baby Got Bock. Because I couldn't hold the brewing temperature in the 50s, I brewed using Wyeast 1728 "Scottish Ale" instead of the "Bavarian Lager" yeast that comes with the recipe. Holy Smokes!! This stuff is GOOD!! And its only been in the bottles for 5 weeks! Very smooth, nice head, good body and mouthfeel. I will definitely keep a supply of this in the pipeline.

I've got a case of Deluxe Bavarian Weissbier (with an additional 250g of Golden extract above the recipe) conditioning now. I sneaked a bottle out after two weeks and it wasn't too bad, not quite ready yet, but not too bad.

Tonight, I bottle my fifth batch, its the 1776 Ale, with a 250g pouch of "Smooth" LME added. I was a bit leery of the added hops, but from the hydrometer sample I drank last night, its gonna be another home run!!

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys and thanks for talking me down a couple of weeks ago when I got discouraged!!

I just ordered another bunch of refills!

Next up was Baby Got Bock. Because I couldn't hold the brewing temperature in the 50s, I brewed using Wyeast 1728 "Scottish Ale" instead of the "Bavarian Lager" yeast that comes with the recipe. Holy Smokes!! This stuff is GOOD!!

Good to hear. There are several lager recipes I've been wanting to try but am not confident in my ability to keep a consistent temperature low enough. I've thought about just doing it with a different yeast but wasn't sure how it'd turn out. Any other suggestions on yeasts that could be used as a substitute until I'm able to find a good method for brewing at cooler temps?

"RangerDanger" post=358851 said:

Next up was Baby Got Bock. Because I couldn't hold the brewing temperature in the 50s, I brewed using Wyeast 1728 "Scottish Ale" instead of the "Bavarian Lager" yeast that comes with the recipe. Holy Smokes!! This stuff is GOOD!!

Good to hear. There are several lager recipes I've been wanting to try but am not confident in my ability to keep a consistent temperature low enough. I've thought about just doing it with a different yeast but wasn't sure how it'd turn out. Any other suggestions on yeasts that could be used as a substitute until I'm able to find a good method for brewing at cooler temps?

If you go to Wyeasts website, they have little capsule descriptions of each yeast telling the temp range as well as its flocculation (how much it settles out of the beer into the trub), its attenuation (how much of the available sugars it converts to alcohol, and its alcohol tolerance. Really good site. http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain.cfm