Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
samueld

Cider and Perry is back!

I gotta ask. Have any of ya'll had a Pear Cider? I have never had one, really sounds interesting. I'm not a big apple cider fan so I hesitate to try. If anyone has any experience with a Pear Cider, what's your thoughts? I might try it just out of curiousity.

Havent had Perry (pear cider) but here are the BJCP guidlines

27D. Common Perry Common perry is made from culinary/table fruit.

Aroma/Flavor: There is a pear character, but not obviously fruity. It tends toward that of a young white wine. No bitterness.

Appearance: Slightly cloudy to clear. Generally quite pale.

Mouthfeel: Relatively full, low to moderate tannin apparent as astringency.

Overall Impression: Mild. Medium to medium-sweet. Still to lightly sparkling. Only very slight acetification is acceptable. Mousiness, ropy/oily characters are serious faults.

Comments: Entrants MUST specify carbonation level (still, petillant, or sparkling). Entrants MUST specify sweetness (medium or sweet).

Varieties: Bartlett, Kiefer, Comice, etc.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.050 – 1.060
FG: 1.000 – 1.020 ABV: 5 – 7%

Commercial Examples: [uS] White Winter Hard Pear Cider (WI), AEppelTreow Perry (WI), Blossomwood Laughing Pig Perry (CO), Uncle John’s Fruit House Winery Perry (MI)

27E. Traditional Perry Traditional perry is made from pears grown specifically for that purpose rather than for eating or cooking. Many “perry pears” are nearly inedible.

Aroma/Flavor: There is a pear character, but not obviously fruity. It tends toward that of a young white wine. Some slight bitterness.

Appearance: Slightly cloudy to clear. Generally quite pale.

Mouthfeel: Relatively full, moderate to high tannin apparent as astringency.

Overall Impression: Tannic. Medium to medium-sweet. Still to lightly sparkling. Only very slight acetification is acceptable. Mousiness, ropy/oily characters are serious faults.

Comments: Entrants MUST specify carbonation level (still, petillant, or sparkling). Entrants MUST specify sweetness (medium or sweet). Variety of pear(s) used must be stated.

Varieties: Butt, Gin, Huffcap, Blakeney Red, etc.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.050 – 1.070
FG: 1.000 – 1.020 ABV: 5 – 9%

Commercial Examples: [France] Bordelet Poire Authentique and Poire Granit, Christian Drouin Poire, [uK] Gwatkin Blakeney Red Perry, Oliver’s Blakeney Red Perry and Herefordshire Dry Perry

I've had Ace and Sir Perry, and both were too sweet for my tastes. I'm more of a tart cider person, and I don't know if that is the norm for the style, but after tasting both of these at a recent fest, I haven't tried any more. YMMV...

Interesting to me that they are using S-04 yeast for this stuff. They had a proprietary cider yeast in the past that required high fermentation temps, which made it difficult for me to make it since I have trouble getting my fermenter into the high 70s or low 80s.

The lower fermenting temps of S-04 would make it easier for me to make, but I have to wonder if it will attenuate enough the get the dryness I associate with a proper cider?