Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billp

Why does anyone ever use booster?

20 posts in this topic

Given that both booster and BrewMax add about the same amount of ABV (1.3% v. 1.0%) and cost the same why not use the LME?

Is that extra .3% important enough to offset the longer conditioning time and cidery taste?

Huh, its still listed on the website and some of their recipes still include it. I guess they'll sell it until it runs out then?

Maybe I am mistaken. I thought they did. But you are right DME is a far superior ingredient to use.

i guess if it came as part of a kit. i'm always tellin' other noobs to "brew it straight the first time". so guess i'm hoisted by my own petard. :laugh:

No that is sound advice Jim. Though I wish they wouldn't put that in kits for first time brewers.

I am seeing the booster is not part of any of the kits anymore. They must be selling off what they have left.

I'm surprised Coopers didn't come up with a Mr Beer replacement for the booster since they do sell their own 'Brew Enhancer', which is pretty much just dextrose and maltodextrin.

gymrat - MrB still has the booster included with some of the recipes.

Booster is a good way to add abv without throwing off the flavor too much. LME will add some malt taste even if you use the light LME. It also helps with the body, which can be a bit watery in an extract brew.

"pghFred" post=363005 said:

I'm surprised Coopers didn't come up with a Mr Beer replacement for the booster since they do sell their own 'Brew Enhancer', which is pretty much just dextrose and maltodextrin.

gymrat - MrB still has the booster included with some of the recipes.

Recipes yes..but I didn't see it in any of the refill kits.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are you saying that the booster does not need to be used? if it is not used will there still be alcohol just using the HME and yeast? I have noticed that all my beer has a cidery taste perhaps this is the reason.. should i ditch the booster pack and use another sugar like honey?

If the choice is Booster or another sugar, I would choose Booster any day of the week. I'm not as much of a hater on Booster as many on here. Now, I'm not planning to run out and buy more, but when I have it on hand, I have used it successfully many times. I don't feel that it causes cidery flavors in and of itself. It works well when used in moderation, and when used with the correct styles. I used it, for instance, with the CAL when doing a true lager and it was perfect. It also works as a nice adjunct for a hi-grav when you have 85% or so of your bill as malt, IMHO. Finally, I've used it for Belgians if I didn't have a candi syrup or something. It's not the best choice for that, but it is serviceable.

It works well when used in moderation, and when used with the correct styles. I used it, for instance, with the CAL when doing a true lager and it was perfect. It also works as a nice adjunct for a hi-grav when you have 85% or so of your bill as malt, IMHO. Finally, I've used it for Belgians if I didn't have a candi syrup or something. It's not the best choice for that, but it is serviceable.

Brilliant.

"swenocha" post=363155 said:

If the choice is Booster or another sugar, I would choose Booster any day of the week. I'm not as much of a hater on Booster as many on here. Now, I'm not planning to run out and buy more, but when I have it on hand, I have used it successfully many times. I don't feel that it causes cidery flavors in and of itself. It works well when used in moderation, and when used with the correct styles. I used it, for instance, with the CAL when doing a true lager and it was perfect. It also works as a nice adjunct for a hi-grav when you have 85% or so of your bill as malt, IMHO. Finally, I've used it for Belgians if I didn't have a candi syrup or something. It's not the best choice for that, but it is serviceable.

+1
Have used booster a bunch of times and not once have I ever tasted anything close to cidery.

Booster used to = newb with starter kit + adding a cup of sugar + hot fermentation temps + 1 week ferment + 1 week contition

I use booster here and there in brewing but EVERYTIME when I bottle.

I like using booster to batch prime my beers, I do it for every beer I make EXCEPT Gluten Free beers since booster contains gluten

"Boardermiko" post=363149 said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are you saying that the booster does not need to be used? if it is not used will there still be alcohol just using the HME and yeast? I have noticed that all my beer has a cidery taste perhaps this is the reason.. should i ditch the booster pack and use another sugar like honey?

For the current product line that has been in place for around 8 months, there are no refills that come with booster. There ARE some recipes that come with booster. So the majority of batches people make won't even have booster as an ingredient.

If you leave out the booster, you'll lose the 1.3% ABV that it brings to the recipe. As noted, if you replace the booster with LME or DME, the recipe will get more malty (which may, or may not, be to your liking).

I've made two recipes with booster, and another where I cut the amount of booster and used LME to replace what I cut, so I had both LME and booster in the recipe. My personal preference is to maltier beers, and I haven't enjoyed the booster batches - so beyond maybe using the remaining 6 ounces in a recipe I'm done with it.

In short - if you want to brew a recipe exactly as specified so you can then decide how to change it, and it calls for booster, use it. Otherwise, there are few reasons to add booster to a recipe that doesn't call for it.

For those that use booster for things like bottling, I can't imagine what result it would give me that is different from table sugar, and the cost per pound of booster vs. table sugar is considerable.

I tended to save my Boosters and use them in things that needed to be thinned out a bit such as some high gravity IPAs that have called for other adjuncts such as sugar. It seemed a good way to use them up.

"Da Yooper" post=363265 said:

I tended to save my Boosters and use them in things that needed to be thinned out a bit such as some high gravity IPAs that have called for other adjuncts such as sugar. It seemed a good way to use them up.

+1 we have a winner!

"billp" post=362989 said:

Given that both booster and BrewMax add about the same amount of ABV (1.3% v. 1.0%) and cost the same why not use the LME?

Is that extra .3% important enough to offset the longer conditioning time and cidery taste?

As others have already said, the two products serve slightly different purposes. Booster adds ABV and body without affecting the taste very much. LME will change the flavour and make the beer maltier. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not always desirable.

Most of the time, using UME instead of Booster is probably best. But some recipes call for adjuncts such as Booster for good reasons.