Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dond427

Question on Substituting Ale Yeast for Lager Yeast

9 posts in this topic

I have a recipe for a Cerveza Crema that requires WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast. I am not sure I can maintain the proper temperature for this. I was wondering if anyone has any experience subsituting an ale yeast in place of it.

Thanks!

I have used the WLP810 for a California Common recipe, which calls for fermenting at ale temperatures. I placed the LBK into an ice chest and used a frozen water bottle to keep the temperature at 64 degrees. I rotated frozen water bottles every 12 hours. Would such a setup work for you?

Does the recipe specify fermentation temperature?

Rick

Yes, I acutally did this just the past fall. I bought a 5 gallon Vienna Lager recipe and had it split into 2 2.5 gallon recipes. I did one with a Lager yeast and made the other with an Ale yeast (used one that gave similar qualities as the lager yeast). I did this to mainly find out if a lager tastes better than an Ale.

I don't have the most discerning pallet, but I found both brews to taste very simular, although the lager seemed to be a little more crisp and clean. This could be attributed to the longer conditioning time for lager yeast or it could be that the lager yeast was just better at cleaning up the wort. Basically what I concluded was that the lager just wasn't worth the extra work (at least with this certain recipe). So if I brew this recipe again I'm going to just brew it as an Ale.

If you do go the Ale yeast route, look for one that is going to give you the same characteristics as the WLP810 and you should be happy.

I wanted to make the Baby Got Bock recipe, but couldn't hold the temperature so I substituted Scotch Ale yeast from Wyest. Turned out great! My favorite batch so far.

+1 on substituting an ale yeast with similar qualities. And keep in mind that the WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast is meant specifically for California Commons, and can perform well at temperatures slightly higher than ideal lager temps. You could conceivably brew something like a "Mexican Steam Beer" if you're able to keep the temperatures in the low 60s.

I would venture to say, whichever route you go, WLP810 or an ale yeast with similar properties, you're not going to ruin the recipe. You'll make a pretty nice beer no matter what.

"FedoraDave" post=368892 said:

+1 on substituting an ale yeast with similar qualities. And keep in mind that the WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast is meant specifically for California Commons, and can perform well at temperatures slightly higher than ideal lager temps. You could conceivably brew something like a "Mexican Steam Beer" if you're able to keep the temperatures in the low 60s.

I would venture to say, whichever route you go, WLP810 or an ale yeast with similar properties, you're not going to ruin the recipe. You'll make a pretty nice beer no matter what.

This^^^^.

In the low-mid 60's, you'll be making a steam beer. Nothing wrong with that. Just keep it cool and do not let it get above 66*F (as measured on the fermenter).

Thanks, everyone! The LHBS did not have any of the yeast I wanted. So, after a discussion with one of the employees (a guys who has always been a great help to me), I went with his recommendation. And, I would tell you what it is, except I forgot and have the package at home. I'll update later.

Okay, the lager yeast I am using is Saflager S-23. Brewing with it tonight. :banana: