Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jsherman

My First Recipe...and some questions

12 posts in this topic

Hello all, I would like to tell you about my first stab in the dark.

This is my third overall brew, the first two being the Bewitched and Northwest refills thanks to my father in-law who also gave me enough of his extra brewing equipment to get started. Those brews were moderately successful, so I decided to take a risk since I was planning on buying another kit (thank you scratch and dent sale!) soon to build my pipeline.

After procrastinating on ordering online I rushed off to a local seller w/ sadly limited selection I purchased an international series pack with the Oktoberfest, Canadian, and Bavarian HME's and booster packs.

So here is what I made:

1-Bavarian HME
1-Canadian HME
1-Booster
2-Yeast packets

The yeast was added to 68 degree wort and currently resides in my basement that tends closer to 65-66 degrees.

1. I have figured this as 6% (2.3+2.3+1.4). Is that correct?
2. Are IBU's additive when combining ingredients?
3. I enjoy dark/heavy/coffee beers, any suggestions for the future?
4. Any opinions on what this might taste like?

change out the yeast. Yeast is to beer what location is to wine. Never understood why kit sellers insists that one yeast brews all beers. If you use the same yeast all the time all the beers are going to taste the same

Yes the IBUs are additive.

For your recipe, QBrew says you'll have about 27 IBUs with a SG of 1.076, which according the ubiquitous hops graph that someone posted here (I've attached it) indicates a "slightly malty" final taste.

QBrew also says you'll wind up with a FG of 1.019 and an ABV of 7.4%. I'd say this beer will take quite a while to condition, but I'm still a newb myself.

"jsherman" post=369059 said:

So here is what I made:

1-Bavarian HME
1-Canadian HME
1-Booster
2-Yeast packets

1. I have figured this as 6% (2.3+2.3+1.4). Is that correct?

You figured wrong.

Although 2.3% ABV was the Mr. Beer info on those cans...I don't think anyone ever got above a 2.1. So...adjust your figure to 2.0-to-2.1

The booster was actually closer to 1.2 or 1.3....NOT 1.4.

If you have a hydrometer...I'd bet you're closer to 5.3 or 5.4...not 6.0

So this beer was born on 4-30, and bottled today (5-18) in 1L bottles with 1.75tsp of cane sugar. I am aiming at 2.5-3 CO2 volume for this one.

It came out tasting very good at bottling! I don't drink much Canadian beer so I can't speak for what qualities came through from that half. But I can say that it did taste quite crisp with a nice bitterness. I don't often drink German beers, but the tasting screamed German to me!

Can't wait to have some in about 5 weeks! :chug:

Just tried one, a bit sweet still. So another week of store beer only.

But I got my 3rd LBK in now (thank you scratch and dent sale :banana: ), so in a few more months I should have a good stockpile.

It took about 7 weeks in the bottle to get good. I wont remake this one, but I would drink it over an ice style commercial beer any day.

Congrats. Part of learning is doing things that you wont repeat. Oh well, it is still better than a lotta commercial brews right? One thing I have definitely learned from the forum is to start simple - get process down, find out how the basic recipe tastes - then learn what results I would want to add to it - then tweak according to research (if I want more hop bitterness or a certain flavor to shine thru). The good news or bad news is that there is always more to learn and with every batch, you not only get knowledge, you get beer :)

:chug:
cheers
jeff

Finally got around to running this through QBREW, umm....

I came up with:
ABV 7.8%
IBU 32
SRM 8

This was for a 2.13g batch. No wonder it took 2 months to taste good!

"jsherman" post=385840 said:

I came up with:
ABV 7.8%
IBU 32
SRM 8

Not possible. With a 1.21lb Bavarian and and 1.21 pound HCCD, plus a booster, you got around 5.6%, just like Chris872 said two months ago. I suspect you used the wrong weight?

"RickBeer" post=385850 said:

"jsherman" post=385840 said:

I came up with:
ABV 7.8%
IBU 32
SRM 8

Not possible. With a 1.21lb Bavarian and and 1.21 pound HCCD, plus a booster, you got around 5.6%, just like Chris872 said two months ago. I suspect you used the wrong weight?

Ah yes I used the newer 1.87# size in qbrew