Mr.Beer Community
gophers6

Adding Cocoa Powder

Been thinking about adding cocoa powder to a stout. A couple other sites suggested 1/4 cup per gallon after the boil. Wouldn't there be a risk of infection adding it after the boil? What would happen if I added it before the boil? What's the borg think?

I've added cocoa powder (unsweetened) to a stout at a rate of 8oz in a 5 gallon batch. Since that stuff is quite bitter, add twice as much lactose (unfermentable milk sugar) as you do cocoa powder.

Combine the lactose and cocoa dry in a bowl and then add enough warm water to create a slurry. The lactose will help the cocoa powder mix in well. Add the slurry to the boil at 10 minutes before flameout.

FYI- the amounts I gave above are by weight, not volume. In an LBK size batch, I'd go with 0.2 lbs cocoa and 0.4 lbs lactose.

Expect to give this sort of beer extra, extra time to age.

I tried my AG milk choc stout at:
3 weeks (still very green and not at all tasty),
6 weeks (much improved, drinkable, but not quite there yet),
Today at 3 months. It's only now what I'd call quite nice and enjoyable.

4-5 months in the bottle at 70-75*F and it ought to be delicious. :chug:

I should be transferring my chocolate stout to my secondary tonight (didn't have a chance to last night).  I didn't add any cocoa or nibs to the beer yet.  From what I've read and what I've done is that I can't use cocoa powder because I didn't add any lactose.  I don't want a bitter chocolate taste for this beer.  So my best bet would be to add chocolate nibs to the secondary and let that sit for 2 weeks? OR/AND add chocolate extract at bottling...?

Suggestions?

*Edit*

So, I'm going with Cacao Nibs in the secondary.  I also am looking at adding soe lactose in the secondary as well.  Everything I've tried to find about it says it's alright to do.  I'm assuming I would just boil it for awhile, then add to secondary?

Really?  No suggestions? Lol. I actually decided to rack to the secondary next week Wednesday instead.  I'm for sure adding the cacao nibs to the secondary.  I have a 4 oz bag.  Would I add all 4 oz?

Any suggestions from experience would be greatly appreciated

49 minutes ago, Bach's Brews said:

Really?  No suggestions? Lol. I actually decided to rack to the secondary next week Wednesday instead.  I'm for sure adding the cacao nibs to the secondary.  I have a 4 oz bag.  Would I add all 4 oz?

I have no experience with cacao nibs.  I did use unsweetened powdered chocolate in a Chocolate Milk Stout.  It was okay, I guess.  I made it in February and have left it in the bottle since then.  I want it more for a late winter stout.  I did try one in April, and like it said, it was okay.  I'd probably go with a chocolate grain if I ever do this again.  Sorry... best I could do for ya.  :)

3 hours ago, Bach's Brews said:

The Angry Bovine Milk Stout recipe uses 2 oz. nibs boiled for 5-min. and added to primary.  I'm not sure that helps, but I will say that this recipe is one of my favorites.?

Well, I appreciate the help! Lol.  I did steep chocolate & caramel malt before the boil, but wanted to make sure I have some added chocolate flavor.  I thought about adding chocolate extract at bottling, but heard that could taste artificial.  Sooooo, that's why I went with the cacao nibs.  I think I'm just going to add them to the secondary and let the beer sit on them for another 2 weeks.  Then I'll see if I need to add any extract when I give it a taste at bottling. 

As far as adding the lactose to the secondary, I may add 1/2 pound, boil it with 8 oz of water to give it some added sweetness.

Hope this turns out! Haha!

Bringing this thread back to life because I didn't want to start a new thread (yes, some old drunks do use the search feature).

Just ordered a Peanut Butter ale 5-gallon extract kit from another source.  Toying with the idea of adding chocolate and make it a Reese cup ale.  I know that others here have used a porter or a stout recipe as the base, but this is a basic ale, not a porter.  What are your thoughts.  Should I use powder or nibs for the chocolate, and how much of either?  Also, how much lactose sugar?

The original post is 5 years old for gawd's sake 😊 but I found my notes. I used 2.5 oz of cacao nibs in a 2.5 gal batch. I put them in after the steeping grains and boiled them 5 minutes, then added dme and hme. Notes say it turned out great!  Hope this helps.