Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Beer-lord

I love Munich

Last night I was doing a quick inventory and realized I have more Munich than I thought so I started to put together the next batch (not sure when yet).
I have noticed that the beers that I have created myself that I like best all have some Munich in them. 4 out of 5 of my favorites do.
So why mess with a good thing? Just do it and continue using Munich in most of my personal creations, right?
I don't see Munich listed in many IPA's as many are simply 2 row and some crystal but I love the color and malty flavor it adds to my IPA's. I think it balances the large amount of hops very well.

Long live Munich!

I use Munich in all of my IPAs and APAs. Adding it to my Porter really gave it a wonderful flavor. My Munich SMaSH was an excellent session beer. Almost on par with a Sam Adams Octoberfest. It is now the backbone of my Amber Ales. It really is one incredibly good tasting malt.

My Amber Ale recipe...this stuff is absolutely delicious. And relatively low in ABV.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Sugar's Purrfect Amber
Brewer: Roger
Asst Brewer: Ralph the Wonderdog
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) The first week or two in the bottle tasted just like Sam Adams Octoberfest. Even when tasted side by side. As it matured it took on a smoother, yet very slightly toasty, flavor. Has become better tasting than SA Octoberfest.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 15.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 1 54.8 %
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 32.9 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.5 %
2.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.4 %
1.00 oz Sterling [7.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 6 31.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 2.0 oz

Only difference is next time I will use BRY-97 for yeast. I like it a lot better than S 05.

I find there is just something about Munich that seems to give a beer a good malty flavor even when the beer is lower in ABV.

That's good to hear. My first time using Munich is in a Doppelbock Lager that's conditioning now. The sample at bottling time was delicious. I was really hoping the Munich would be good, and you make it sound like it is, so I'm really looking forward to it now.

"JohnSand" post=382390 said:

Thanks! I just bought some Munich extract. (It's 50-50 with pale)

Sounds like a can of the Briess Munich LME. That's pretty darn good stuff. If you want, you can brew just that LME with your choice of noble hop, ferment it cool (starting mid-upper 50's) with Nottingham and have 2.5 gallons of very tasty brew.

Since it's kind of hot in my garage (where my E-BIAB rig resides) this time of year, I may just have to do an inside stove-top batch with some Perle and toss it in an LBK. Yum.

Thank you! I'm fighting warm weather too, looking at cheap measures for the basement. And I've done two grain batches, but I plan my next few extract due to heat. Unless I want to make Sweat Ale!

"BigFloyd" post=382464 said:

"JohnSand" post=382390 said:

Thanks! I just bought some Munich extract. (It's 50-50 with pale)

Sounds like a can of the Briess Munich LME. That's pretty darn good stuff. If you want, you can brew just that LME with your choice of noble hop, ferment it cool (starting mid-upper 50's) with Nottingham and have 2.5 gallons of very tasty brew.

Since it's kind of hot in my garage (where my E-BIAB rig resides) this time of year, I may just have to do an inside stove-top batch with some Perle and toss it in an LBK. Yum.

I picked up a pond pump for under $20 so I can run ice water through my chiller.