Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chadf1001

sugar at the bottom

25 posts in this topic

so i followed the instructions that came with the mr beer kit, and after two weeks I added 2 and 1/2 teaspoons of sugar per plastic bottle that is included in the kit (8 bottles total) and it said to gently shake it so the sugar mixes, then i put the caps on and wait 14 days. after a few days i noticed that the sugar is at the bottom of each bottle. so i tried to shake each bottle up a little bit to mix the sugar. now i am on day 13 of the last stage before I put the beer in the fridge for 48 hours and the sugar is still at the bottom of each bottle....is this supposed to happen? what should i do? and what did I do wrong?

DO NOT shake the bottle.

Welcome to the forum!

Some good reads:
Simple Guide Line
Adjunct Level
How to Brew (Jim Palmer's free online book)
Beer Styles
Beer Carbination Calculator
The Beer Borg Live Chat Forum

Old Mr. Beer Recipies
(Spreadsheet NOT my creation!)

Is it sugar your seeing, or is it bottle trub? I bet it's bottle trub. You will get trub in the bottle for the yeasties eating the sugar and pooping, just like they do in the keg.

Welcome to the forum!

That's not sugar. That's trub (see Glossary on the left of the page), which the yeast created when it ate the sugar you put in and carbonated your beer.

Glad you checked in. Instead of putting the beer in the frig, wait a total of 4 weeks, at room temp, before you chill just what you're ready to drink (2 days prior to drinking it). The longer at room temp, the better the brew.

If you must, try one in the frig and check it after 2 days, then one at 3 weeks, 4 weeks, ... You'll find that at least 4 weeks is better.

After I add the sugar and fermented beer in the bottles, and after capping, I turn the bottles bottom side up and gently shake at intervals of 20 seconds, 15 seconds and 10 seconds to desolve all of the sugar. This has been my best method of desolving the sugar.

Out of 364 batches, times 8 bottles each equals 2,912 bottles, I haven't had any problems yet.

"onekyds" post=386288 said:

After I add the sugar and fermented beer in the bottles, and after capping, I turn the bottles bottom side up and gently shake at intervals of 20 seconds, 15 seconds and 10 seconds to desolve all of the sugar. This has been my best method of desolving the sugar.

Out of 364 batches, times 8 bottles each equals 2,912 bottles, I haven't had any problems yet.

Maybe you had no bottle bombs, but your beer would taste better if you didn't oxidize it by shaking.

Not sure why they say to shake, as it can oxidize the beer. Swirl maybe, but the yeast are good at finding the sugar.
What you see at the bottom may very well be yeast poop.... they eat sugar, burp co2, and then poop...

You should not shake the bottles. There is no reason to dissolve the sugar, the yeast will find it. Upending the bottles just gets it going. GENTLY!

Mr. Beer's instructions say to Place caps on bottles, hand tighten, and then gently upend the bottle to help dissolve the sugar. Do not shake.

I had the same problem but I now fill the bottles first then add the sugar. instead of up ending the bottles I now turn them on their side and turn them gently 360 degrees. This has helped tremendously.

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us, we are here to help you make better beer.

Definitely do not shake the bottles. The sugar is plenty water soluble and the yeast will find it. A GENTLE upending is all that is required. I promise the yeast will find it. After switching to glass I have never upended a bottle and never had one not carb.

"LBK" post=386304 said:

I had the same problem but I now fill the bottles first then add the sugar. instead of up ending the bottles I now turn them on their side and turn them gently 360 degrees. This has helped tremendously.

You are super lucky. Always add the sugar first. If you add it after you fill the bottles they will foam uncontrollably.

Well, you're certainly not the first one to mistake post-carbonation white yeast trub in the bottom of the bottle for sugar. It's a naturally occurring part of bottle carbonation.

Please don't shake your bottles. Just leave them alone for a few weeks, put a few in the fridge for at least 3 days, very carefully pour one into a glass and leave 1/2" behind (along with that white stuff) in the bottle.

If you batch prime, you will obtain more consistent carbonation. You'll also have the ability, by using a batch priming calculator, to get a more precise level of carbonation. The only time I individually bottle prime is when I want just a few bottles of something that I'm racking over into a corny keg.

"chadf1001" post=386271 said:

is this supposed to happen?

Yes, it was. The yeast eats the sugar, and what goes in, something must come out. That's just how it works.

what should i do?

Pray all that shaking didn't oxygenate the beer so much that you'll now have cardboard tasting beer.

and what did I do wrong?

Didn't relax, worried, and didn't seek advice *before* going all crazy and shaking the bottles. :ohmy: Do your research before touching it next time. But its alright, we all were eager our first time, you'll probably be ok. Just let them sit out at room temperature for another 2 weeks, then try one. Report back the results then.

Is there really enough oxygen in that little bit of air in the headspace that shaking the bottle will cause a problem?

welcome to the forum. as noted that ain't sugar, so no need to shake. it will accomplish nothing except breaking up the bottle trub.

[attachment=14220]welcomebeer_2013-07-13.gif[/attachment]

Try batch priming. It's easier and ensures even distribution if your priming sugar.

"billp" post=386367 said:

Is there really enough oxygen in that little bit of air in the headspace that shaking the bottle will cause a problem?

It can, over time, cause a small degree of oxidation, allowing the beer to taste stale. The effect would probably be slight due to the small amount of O2 involved, but why needlessly risk it by shaking?

"billp" post=386367 said:

Yes. Do not shake them.

as the instructions said I waited a week after bottling in the 8 plastic bottles, then I put all of the bottles in the fridge as indicated in the instructions. is it too late to take them back out of the fridge?

i had already put all the bottles in the fridge as the instructions stated. should i take them out of the fridge or is it too late?

"chadf1001" post=386547 said:

as the instructions said I waited a week after bottling in the 8 plastic bottles, then I put all of the bottles in the fridge as indicated in the instructions. is it too late to take them back out of the fridge?

When you take them out and return them to room temp, the conditioning process will resume. Give it another few weeks and then put a few in the fridge for at least 3 days before tasting.

Just go with the 3-4 method from now on.

3 weeks fermenting (unless you have a hydro then when it's done)
4 weeks in bottles at room temp before chilling.

Learn it
Love it
Live it

Arr. I did all mistakes quoted here! Shaked bottle to dissolve sugar and I met tremendous bubbles!
I got it and I'll never shake my PETs when I bottle! :borg: