Mr.Beer Community
newf84

Any fellow Canadians using Mr.Beer

I'm in Ottawa.  I got a kit for Christmas.  Canadian Tire was selling them before Christmas.  

I brewed the Classic American Light that came with it.  It was ok.  Definitely needs a minimum of 4 weeks bottle conditioning.  

For my next brew I got a 5 gallon sized refill from the local brew shop (Defalco's).  It was on the clearance isle and was expired by a few months.  I bought a second LBK and had it shipped to a UPS store in NY state.  I followed the Mr Beer instructions and split it between the two LBKs.  I think the yeast was dead or I killed it by adding it when it was too hot because there was no sign of trub.  So I bought some yeast from the local shop and added it.  Bottled it a couple of weeks ago and there still wasn't much trub.  Hopefully it gets better after bottle conditioning.

I've also brewed a Northwest Pale Deluxe which is almost ready to drink and I've got two batches of the Patriot Deluxe fermenting.  

I'm headed to Watertown, NY this weekend and I'm going to check out a shop there that supposedly stocks Mr Beer stuff.  

Not much for interesting stories but all my brews so far have turned out great. Just bottled my first batch of dry hopped beer a week ago..and waiting patently to try a batch of Canadian Blonde I bottled on march 22.

Just got back from Watertown.  In case anybody is heading that way, the store that's listed as a Mr Beer supplier doesn't have much in terms of Mr Beer stuff.  Just a CIder Kit and 4 refills of Patriot Lager.  I did manage to snag a new Beer Kit at Sears for $25.  They had a few more but I didn't have any more room in the trunk or I would have snagged the rest of them up.

I'm living just outside of London, ON and I'm brand new to the homebrew game. 

I've always thought about brewing my own beer and about 2 weeks ago spotted the Mr. Beer kit and had to buy it.

My first batch is still fermenting in the closet, but it looks like it's coming along well. 

I ordered the seasonal 4-pack and another set of bottles from the MrBeer site. I'm going to start the dopplebock shortly after I bottle this light beer.

I haven't even bottled my first batch and I'm already obsessed. Homebrew might stick with me quite some time, if not for life.

Nice to hear that so many Ontarians are taking up the hobby!  I've got two LBKs going atm and was thinking of getting a third for batch priming but am running out of space to put my stuff lol..

Here's a few things I've brewed since I first started in early Feb:

- Classic American Light (3.1%abv, was ready after 3 weeks in the keg / 4 in the bottle at room temps)

- Who's your Hefe / Bavarian Weissbier Deluxe + Carapils (4.5% abv, 2 weeks in the keg / 5 in the bottle at room temps; all gone lol)

- Oktoberfest Deluxe w/ Carabelge (5.1%, 3 weeks in the keg, now on 8 weeks in the bottle. Tried a bottle at 6 weeks and it strangely wasn't carbonated enough).

- Basic Brewing 15 minute IPA (6.5%, all DME + Simcoe hop brew. 4 weeks in the keg, now 4 weeks in the bottle. Have a tester in the fridge, will likely let this one ride out for atleast another 4 weeks). 

- Classic American Light Deluxe w/ carafoam (4.1%abv, stepped in some carafoam for more head retention. did 2 weeks in the keg and about 2 week in the bottle. Going let this one go for another two weeks before I even taste one)

- 30 Minute Hefeweissbier (Hallertau) (5.6%abv, 2.75lbs of wheat DME + WB-06. So far 10 days in the keg and its full attenuated! Excited to test this one out and will likely bottle at 2 weeks and then carb for another 2 week before doing some early tasting. Hydro samples taste AMAZING.)

-30 Minute Hefeweissbier (Hersbrucker) (4%abv, 2.25lbs of wheat DME + WB-06. 5 days in the keg so far and it seems to be going well!)

@newf84:

Nice! You should post a brew log of your dry hopped brew! I'm definitely interested in seeing how that went for ya! 

@Macoombi: 

Sucks to hear about your 5 gal brew; I hope it turns out well

@Mat2000_1:

Welcome to your new obsession! I pretty much did the same thing with my SWMBO and she's the one who actually bought me my first kit! Which refill came with your kit? 

The brew that I dry hopped was a Coopers Canadian Blonde I brewed it to 21L I added 500g golden light DME, 700g Dextrose, 225g Maltodextrin.....dry hopped for 3 days with 14.2g of Amarillo petted hops..

No bag, I just through the pellets right in the fermenter...but I used a hop sack around my auto siphon when I was batch priming to keep as much sediment out as possible 

Ahhh nice; I've been using bags with all my hop additions and found that I don't get as strong a hop flavour profile as I'm expecting. This has worked out to my benefit with the weissbiers brews but not so much with my IPA / other ales. I'll have to give the auto-siphon with the hop sack around a try (never though of doing it that way!) .

Btw how are you batch priming? Do you have a second LBK?

I only have one LBK but I also have a 5 gal fermenter and a 5 gal bottling bucket. But so far I have been bottle priming my mr.beer kits and batch priming my 5Gal Coopers kits..and when I batch prime I boil the amount of dextrose I need in a cup or two of water for a few minutes the add it to my bottling bucket and then siphon my beer into it and give it a gentle stir. Then just bottle

Have you found it easier to do one or the other? I'm just thinking about whether or not it's worth the extra time / mess with the MrBeer sized batches to even both with batch priming, 

I don't batch prime the mr.beer because it's only 8 liters so it takes no time to bottle prime...but to bottle prime my 5 gal takes to long to do that and is much easier imho to batch prime and give you a move even carbonation 

The CAL came with my first beer kit. 

Since I've last posted I've also bought a second Beer kit, 2 more sets of bottles, many refills and some more tools for my hobby. 

My original CAL has been bottled for 2 and a half weeks now. I've drank 3 bottles so far and can really tell the improvements that happen inside the bottle with time. I've also just bottled a batch of Pear Hard Cider, and I will leave that one for 2-3 months before I even try one (I guess the cider takes longer before its really nice.)

At the moment I'm fermenting a Summer Saison and an American Porter with Robust LME. 

I will probably stick with refills for a while. Add a few LME's and maybe experiment with my two spare cans of CAL because the beer itself is not really anything special on its own. I think I might add fruit to those. 

Maybe in the fall I will experiment with dme's and hops etc

Drinking my Brewmaker IPA right now.  I think I've got 6 weeks in the bottle at this point.  Still a bit of cidery taste but I'm out of my other brews so it'll do for now.  It definitely turned into beer.  The yeast did its trick.  Not sure if it was the first yeast or the second.  

Since I've last posted I've added another 2 batches of bottles.  I up to 4 LBK's and 7 sets of bottles but I think I need more bottles.  I've got a Classic American Light, 2 Patriots Lagers and a Brewmaker Brown Ale (5 gallon batch) bottled awaiting maturity now.  I brewed the Diablo IPA and the Bewitched Amber with my 4 year old son yesterday.  I've got the NW Pale and 2 Winter Ales that need to be brewed and I might do that tomorrow.

I just finished up my first NW Pale Deluxe last night.  It defnitely got better with age.  Even my wife liked it.  I think from now on I wont even try a beer before at least 6 weeks in the bottle. 

In case you guys haven't notice, Mr Beer has got a really good sale on refills (30% off) and $5 off on bottles.  I just order 3 American Porter Deluxe refills, 4 more sets of bottles and a St Patricks Irish Stout Deluxe and an Octoberfest Deluxe refill.  The American Porter is half price ($10.72) so I ordered 3 of them.  

Brewing in Brampton. I'm actually a 5 minute drive from Canadian Homebrew Supplies, who happens to stock the MrBeer refills.

Been at it since 2010 and except for the health hiccup this year, I've been pretty constant in having a brew in the pipeline, whether its a MB batch or a Coopers batch.

I'd like to progress to all grain or even partial eventually, but the current living quarters don't really accommodate that, plus I really like the sped that an extract batch can be prepared and I'm still trying new recipes with each refill

My current favourite, and favourite of my friends, is a can of the Blonde and the CAL. It's really tasty and goes perfect while watching a game