RogueChip

Cleaning labels off of glass bottles

68 posts in this topic

There is no sin for using green pop off bottles, I have a case of Heineken bottles but the label seems forever stuck, I remember there was no label and the image was cast in.

Had plenty of Sam Adams over the holidays, The labels were ready to peel while drinking.

I use a plan like Rick Beer kind of like an assembly line with the exception of the sink. I installed a 3/4 bung fitting on our master bath roman tub. I can sit while working as well. You have to work around your living space to find the best method but Git Er Dun. so to speak.

My 2 cents, M

2 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Using green bottles IS a sin, unless you're careful to keep them out of the light. The green color blocks UV rays about as well as clear bottles. Why do you think Heineken, Becks, Mickey's, etc. all have a skunky flavor/aroma? Because anything but brown bottles is a sin. ;)

You beat me to the punch. The only difference is that I was going to say that using green bottles isn't a sin, just a mistake.

Unless you like that skunk smell, that is.

MRB Josh R likes this

I have a few of the green bottles, however after bottling I store all my bottled beer in a closet until I drink them and when I'm ready I almost always leave in fridge until I open to drink the beer.

MnMBeer likes this

How does one sanitize glass bottles when you can't put a top on it to shake it up and let it sit for 10 to shake again?  I was thinking to soak in a bath.  

1 hour ago, BBinNJ said:

How does one sanitize glass bottles when you can't put a top on it to shake it up and let it sit for 10 to shake again?  I was thinking to soak in a bath.  

What I do, and what I believe is standard, is to wash the bottle out, fill halfway with whatever sanitation you use, then just put your clean hand on top, shake it up, let sit for 10 minutes, repeat with a clean hand, dump. I haven't had any off flavors or infections from doing this. 

Take it with a grain of salt, however, as I am in no way an expert! 

RickBeer likes this

Trying to figure how to reply.  Let's give this a go.  

Thanks ill give it the old clean hand....method.  Almost said something I think you folks would be teasing me about for a long time.

Bob

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:59 PM, MRB Josh R said:

Using green bottles IS a sin, unless you're careful to keep them out of the light. The green color blocks UV rays about as well as clear bottles. Why do you think Heineken, Becks, Mickey's, etc. all have a skunky flavor/aroma? Because anything but brown bottles is a sin. ;)

I suppose the "etc." includes Rolling Rock (OMG, that stuff is horrible!  If that were the only beer available to drink, I would be stone cold sober all the time) and Schoenling's Little Kings Cream Ale.  I'm sorry to admit that I drank my fair share of Little Kings many, many years ago.  Hey, we were all young and stupid at one point. 

RocketSaws and MRB Josh R like this

9 hours ago, rugercaptain said:

I suppose the "etc." includes Rolling Rock (OMG, that stuff is horrible

Rolling Rock has become my buddies and my fishing beer of choice. I think the sweet taste of disappointment is a metaphor for our fishing... 

AnthonyC and MrWhy like this

17 hours ago, BBinNJ said:

I just set a cap on it, hold it with my thumb and then shake it and leave it set for 10min or so. I leave that cap with the bottle and then use it when I've filled it with beer later after draining the sanitizer from it. It's not too hard and seems to work fine.

MichaelL and Big Sarge like this

10 minutes ago, TonyKZ1 said:

I just set a cap on it, hold it with my thumb and then shake it and leave it set for 10min or so. I leave that cap with the bottle and then use it when I've filled it with beer later after draining the sanitizer from it. It's not too hard and seems to work fine.

I do the same as Tony when I use glass.  also I invert the bottle and let a little bit drain out to wet all the cap. I do this with PET bottles also.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:59 PM, MRB Josh R said:

Funny part is, over the years people have come to believe those beers are supposed to taste like that!

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:16 AM, John1801 said:

I have a few of the green bottles, however after bottling I store all my bottled beer in a closet until I drink them and when I'm ready I almost always leave in fridge until I open to drink the beer.

Do a quick Google on skunky beer. I did some reading and was shocked as to how quickly light can start to have an effect. One site suggested that it takes only 10 minutes to notice a difference in flavor in certain settings, such as out on your deck in full sun. I haven't tried it yet, be interesting to know.

MRB Josh R likes this

1 hour ago, Neverbrewedadarnthing said:

Funny part is, over the years people have come to believe those beers are supposed to taste like that!

Yes, this is unfortunately so true. It has become a desired flavor for many people so these breweries purposefully lightstrike their beers. I get a lot of people wanting to know how they can make the Aztec Cerveza taste more like Corona. I tell them to put it in clear bottles and leave it in the sun for an hour. lol.

22 hours ago, BBinNJ said:

I pour some sanitizer into a bowl and place a number of caps (several more than the number of bottles I'll be filling, in case of errors) into it.  When bottling I use a clean gallon milk jug to prepare the sanitizer, making sure the cap gets sanitized as well.  Fill each bottle halfway, place the sanitized milk jug cap over it, and give it a good shaking/swishing/inverting to make sure the sanitizer reaches everywhere.  Then drain and move onto the next, rinsing the jug cap with a bit of fresh sanitizer.  Then it's add sugar, fill from the LBK, cap with sanitized cap.  Repeat this final step 11 more times and voila!  

This works for me.  YMMV. 

MrWhy likes this

You find your process. I start by trying to make sure my bottles are as clean as can be after I drink from them. Super hot water rinse. (Hot enough that it hurts to hold the bottle....glass of course.) Then a fill with soap and a lot of shaking. If they have labels then a long soak to soften the labels and remove them. A scrub of the outside. Another hot water rinse/shake to get the soap out.

On bottling day...another HOT water rinse and shake. Caps soak in sanitizer. Then I 3/4 fill a bottle. Hold a cap on in and shake the snoopy out of it. Pour to another bottle. A new cap...shake the snoopy.....and so on and so.

Then before I begin adding sugar I do one go through of draining each bottle before adding sugar/priming drops.

While we are on the subject...I know it is not bottles...but in the spirit of sanitation...I rinse my bottling wand parts in warm/hottish water. I soak them in some whiskey and pour some whiskey through the tube. I wipe down the spigot with some whiskey. Then I re-rinse everything and rinse it with sanitizer and wipe it down again. 

Is this overkill? It feels like it is......It feels like it is even more than overkill....it feels like I am counteracting everything.

But I really like the smell of whiskey.....

Adam10 and MichaelL like this

I guess I've been lucky b/c I don't use any soap at all.  When I'm done drinking the store bought beer I rinse the bottle with warm water until the odor of beer is gone, fill the bottle and the sink with hot water, soak until the water gets cool, scrape the labels off with the back of a butter knife, wipe the glue off with the rough side of a dish cleaning sponge, re-rinse, and then dry them either in the dish strainer or upside down on a clean dish towel.  On the day that I'm going to use them I rinse once and then follow the Mr. Beer instructions to sanitizing them.  

7 hours ago, MrWhy said:

While we are on the subject...I know it is not bottles...but in the spirit of sanitation...I rinse my bottling wand parts in warm/hottish water. I soak them in some whiskey and pour some whiskey through the tube. I wipe down the spigot with some whiskey. Then I re-rinse everything and rinse it with sanitizer and wipe it down again. 

Is this overkill? It feels like it is......It feels like it is even more than overkill....it feels like I am counteracting everything.

But I really like the smell of whiskey.....

I like using Bourbon instead, and my process is a bit different. I typically put the bourbon into a glass, and while holding the wand in one hand, pour the bourbon into my mouth and dunk the wand in the sanitizer. Then, I operate the foot valve in the sanitizer while swallowing the bourbon.

It's always good to hear other people's process!

Jdub, RocketSaws and MichaelL like this

14 hours ago, RickBeer said:

The whiskey is adding nothing mm over just using sanitizer...

In my head the whiskey is just ensuring that everything is clean and then the sanitizing is sanitizing it all. I guess whiskey is my soap.

I know it makes no objective sense...but subjectively I am working with the "it cannot be sanitized if it is not clean" principle I invented.

Most labels will come off just by soaking them in warm water for a few minutes.  The ones that are plastic and peel off will leave a glue residue that can be easily removed by spraying a little Goo Gone on them.

I was going to start a new thread, but will see if this question gets any traction in here first.

I am saving 16.9 oz. pop (soda) bottles for my Hard Cider. The labels on those are plastic, do a complete wrap around the bottle, and are glued at the seam only. The rest of the label just falls off. The seam glue they use is tough stuff. Soaking the bottles doesn't doo much good and I am reluctant to use a solvent because of the plastic bottle. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get it off?   

3 minutes ago, Neverbrewedadarnthing said:

I was going to start a new thread, but will see if this question gets any traction in here first.

I am saving 16.9 oz. pop (soda) bottles for my Hard Cider. The labels on those are plastic, do a complete wrap around the bottle, and are glued at the seam only. The rest of the label just falls off. The seam glue they use is tough stuff. Soaking the bottles doesn't doo much good and I am reluctant to use a solvent because of the plastic bottle. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get it off?   

Sounds just like a bottle I'm used to. Remove the easy part, scrape and scrub the edges. I bought this but I don't dare use it on my LBK because the bristles are quite tough

https://libman.com/products/54/