Mr.Beer Community
kraig927

diablo ipa hop addition and conditioning question

I am looking to brew a diablo ipa with a pale lme  and was looking for suggestions as to what hops to boil with it. Which ones have produced good flavours for you in past brews? Also any other additions I could use would be helpful as well. On a separate subject, I saw somewhere in a post that conditioning is stopped  when  bottled beer is refrigerated. Is this permanently stopped or just halted? If I was to go on holidays for a couple weeks would previously conditioned beer at all benefit from being removed from the fridge while I was gone ? Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and answer my questions.

If you have never made a specific HME before, we recommend you make it as is so you learn what it was meant to be before changing it.

If you want flavor or bittering from hops and do a boil, boil with LME or DME, never boil the HME as you will change the flavor profile. Good you noted that.

kraig927, on 03 Jan 2015 - 6:27 PM, said:

I am looking to brew a diablo ipa with a pale lme  and was looking for suggestions as to what hops to boil with it. Which ones have produced good flavours for you in past brews? Also any other additions I could use would be helpful as well. On a separate subject, I saw somewhere in a post that conditioning is stopped  when  bottled beer is refrigerated. Is this permanently stopped or just halted? If I was to go on holidays for a couple weeks would previously conditioned beer at all benefit from being removed from the fridge while I was gone ? Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and answer my questions.

blackduck... one of the old crew here... had an outstanding modification to diablo ipa. I made it. it was great and was the first krausen volcano I ever experienced! it might be a bit beyond your level of skill but if your interested read the entire thread.  his recipe is in there along with everyone's comments , notes etc.

http://community.mrbeer.com/topic/25277-diablo-ipa-dry-hop/

The first time I brewed the Diablo was straight up with an LME pack and dry hopped with 3/4oz simcoe and 3/4oz citra. Like Nickfixit that last 7 days is dry hop time.  I go commando on my dry hopping since I always cold crash it.  Awesome beer.  :o

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 10:19 AM, Tabasco said:

I made a Diablo once with just some extra lme, and the hop profile of the hme was flavorful enough.  But, if you want to hop it up, you couldn't go wrong with simcoe,

A matter of taste though - personally I don't like the pineyness of Simcoe that much - maybe I put too much in last time I tried it

If you like pine it is a great way to go but I like citrus better than pine.

I just made Diablo IPA & dry hopped 1/2 Citra & 1/2 Mosaic.  I like DeSchutte’s Fresh-Squeezed IPA & that’s what they list on their label.  I was quite pleased with the outcome & think it’s the best IPA I’ve made to date.  Easy, too.