Mr.Beer Community
sdrake

Mad Ludwig's Marzen

I bottled my Mad Ludwig's Marzen this afternoon. This is a recipe that uses the Saflager W-34/70 dry yeast where the recipe says to ferment between 51-59F.

Question: For a couple of weeks carbonation, should I keep the bottles at 51-59F so the yeast can continue to work at it's recommended temperature range? Or is it ok to carbonate at around 70F? My concern is that the sugar added for carbonation will cause some issues if the yeast works at too warm a temperature.

Good timing! I should be bottling mine next weekend.

Follow up question, because I pitched my yeast at room tempature (70ishF), do I need to bring my LBK up to 70 before I bottle?  A diacetyl rest.

Or is it unnecessary because I will be carb'ing at 70?

kk thx

Another question:

Can I lager/condition my beer at 55F?  Bottling day is also brew day for me.  So after my batch is all carb'd up, I would prefer to not have to put them into kitchen fridge to condition.  Can I put my carb'd up bottles back into my Fermeezer that will locked at 55F for my next batches of beery goodness?

After conditioning 2 weeks, I had to try one of my Mad Ludwig Marzens. IT'S AWESOME!!! I highly recommend it. I can't wait to see how much better it is after more conditioning time. It's definitely a great recipe.

Last second HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to brew Mad Ludwig's today, and forgot to print out the recipe sheet.  I went to the recipes site on Mr. Beer's store, and my spreadsheet, but the recipe has been taken down.  My problem is the hops.  I have the bag of Hallertau, but I don't know if I boil them for 10 minutes before the HME, if I toss them into the sac and into the LBK when I pour the wort, or do I wait a week before adding the hops.

17 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

Last second HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to brew Mad Ludwig's today, and forgot to print out the recipe sheet.  I went to the recipes site on Mr. Beer's store, and my spreadsheet, but the recipe has been taken down.  My problem is the hops.  I have the bag of Hallertau, but I don't know if I boil them for 10 minutes before the HME, if I toss them into the sac and into the LBK when I pour the wort, or do I wait a week before adding the hops.

@ flame-out

http://support.mrbeer.com/support/solutions/articles/5000523100-mad-ludwig-s-marzen-recipe-instructions

3 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

Thanks.  Forgot about the "back door" for retired recipes

PS, @Bonsai & Brew, congrads on 3,000 positive feedback

Thanks Yoda -- I think about half of those "likes" were from @AnthonyC and @MrWhy 'back in the day.'  Haha

Good luck with Mad Ludwig Marzen.  That was my first lager and one of my favorite pre-grain Mr. Beer recipes.🍻