RickBeer

Propping Up Your LBK - No Trubal

55 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Cuban IPA said:

OK, I will prop it up when I get home today just to make sure not to get any trub in my beer and get the most out of my LBK when I bottle it. Thanks!

Don't forget that cold crashing for 24-48 hours before bottling will also help. ;)

slym2none likes this

Yeah, I just finished reading Ricks thread on cold crashing and I am going to try it with the Diablo IPA. 

Finally prop up my LBK using two small books to be on the safe side but noticed that the trub is a real small layer on the bottom. I dont think it will reach the spigot. But no harm in propping. 

Two or three pieces of tapered shim stock if you have laying around can be clued or stapled to a piece of plywood to set your LBK on  to create the slant.  They even make plastic shim stock which would be cleaner to use and could be clued to a plastic tray also.  Home Depot or similar sells these in small bundles.

Is there a secret pouring method from spigot to bottle or is just tilting the bottle and letting it rip the norm. I just keep hearing about aeration issues. Does this not apply here?

6 minutes ago, Coop said:

Is there a secret pouring method from spigot to bottle or is just tilting the bottle and letting it rip the norm. I just keep hearing about aeration issues. Does this not apply here?

Using a bottling wand is the best method. But if you must pour from the spigot, do it at an angle to prevent oxidation.

J A and RickBeer like this

I've bottled 6 kegs now and haven't had any trouble. I've crashed very cold 1-2 days in the fridge and overnight in an ice chest partially covered with ice. I haven't propped the front end up, but the trub has ended up really firm so that when I move it into position (an open shelf above my kitchen work surface) and attach the tubing and wand to start filling, it hasn't stirred. when the level gets down and the spigot starts sucking air, I prop up the back end and get the last one or two bottles. Only the very last few drops has trub, so I mark that bottle for extra cold-conditioning before opening. I haven't opened any of those yet, but I'll soon know if my good-to-the-last-drop eagerness to maximize yield is causing any problem. :)

MRB Josh R and Bighead beer like this

My first two lbk's I bottled I didn't have propped up, and only the last half bottle on both batches had a little trub in them ,but I did prop up my wheat brew that's fermenting now,I'll see soon if there's a difference, but I'm thinking not

6 hours ago, GoBucks64 said:

I'm gonna use a couple shims. Should do the trick. 

I use the plastic 4 pack holders... stack em up to the height needed... 

A3h5NE_plastic-6-pack-holder.jpg

I got two heavy duty (extra wide) door stop from a local hardware store, taped them together using the ever popular and handy duct tape.  Wide enough to not let the LBK slip one side or the other,  As I neared the end of the bottling, all I needed to do was set the LBK back a little more. No trub, or very very little ended up in the last bottle.

I found a like 1 by 1 piece of wood about 12 inches long left from a window repair the fits nicely across the foil turkey roaster pan the lbk sits in so no messes. No sliding. Now to wait for the beer to carb n condition lol.  Oh I'm not good at this waiting business. .....

13 minutes ago, morriganpoe said:

I found a like 1 by 1 piece of wood about 12 inches long left from a window repair the fits nicely across the foil turkey roaster pan the lbk sits in so no messes. No sliding. Now to wait for the beer to carb n condition lol.  Oh I'm not good at this waiting business. .....

Rick will be proud!  ??

morriganpoe and RickBeer like this

I will testify that both propping the keg while fermenting and cold crash worked beautifully. I used a piece of scrap lumber about 1inch thick, 6 inches long. That has worked great and no issue with sliding off. Only the last bottle got a little trub because I was being greedy. That won't be a problem after chilling that bottle when the time comes. Is it strange that the trub beer carbonated the fastest even though it was only half full? I fermented for three weeks. Still active yeast? Maybe time to get a hydrometer.

dale hihn likes this