RickBeer

Propping Up Your LBK - No Trubal

62 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Marius said:

I will testify that both propping the keg while fermenting and cold crash worked beautifully. I used a piece of scrap lumber about 1inch thick, 6 inches long. That has worked great and no issue with sliding off. Only the last bottle got a little trub because I was being greedy. That won't be a problem after chilling that bottle when the time comes. Is it strange that the trub beer carbonated the fastest even though it was only half full? I fermented for three weeks. Still active yeast? Maybe time to get a hydrometer.

No, it's not strange, as it has a ton of yeast in it from the trub, only some of which is dead yeast.  Hopefully you put in 1/2 the sugar too...

Marius and gophers6 like this

Asking for a friend. What would be the consequence of putting two carb drops and only 1/2 of the 740ml full? Explosion or over fizzing beer? Any solutions to such a scenario?

Over fizzy beer.  PET bottles almost never give way, whereas a glass bottle could burst (a "bottle bomb").  Unlikely, but possible.

You could burp the bottle at 1 week by unscrewing the cap, listening to the gas come out, and then recap.

You could also pour it, let it sit in the fridge for 15 minutes, then drink it. 

Marius likes this

Bottled my Bewitched Amber today, and cold crashed for 2.5 days at 36F and got a cleaner yield as opposed to my Oktoberfest that I only cold crashed for 24 hrs.

Trub stayed put so much that even when I tilted the keg forwards quite a bit for that last PET bottle it never budged.

Bottled in glass yesterday for first time. With the capping it took longer than filling the PET bottles. Tilting the LBK for the last bottle I could see the change in color in the bottling wand right as I got to the end, so marked that one for trub.

I cold crashed for 3 days, but was stopping and capping every 6 bottles. I'm thinking that extra time allowed the trub to soften and slide forward. Should or do you fill all your bottles first to avoid this, and then cap them?

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Bottled in glass yesterday for first time. With the capping it took longer than filling the PET bottles. Tilting the LBK for the last bottle I could see the change in color in the bottling wand right as I got to the end, so marked that one for trub.

I cold crashed for 3 days, but was stopping and capping every 6 bottles. I'm thinking that extra time allowed the trub to soften and slide forward. Should or do you fill all your bottles first to avoid this, and then cap them?

I bottle and cover them with foil, then cap. My last bottle is always a clear 12 oz. Coke bottle.

I do 6 - 8 bottles, cap them, then do 6 or 8 more. 

However, I batch prime from a slimline, so there is no trub to move around.  

If you use a bottling wand, and you cold crashed, I can't imagine that the trub would soften much in the 15 minutes you're bottling.  Make sure you leave it propped up while you're bottling, and only tilt it for the last 1 or 2 bottles.

Cato likes this

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I do 6 - 8 bottles, cap them, then do 6 or 8 more. 

However, I batch prime from a slimline, so there is no trub to move around.  

If you use a bottling wand, and you cold crashed, I can't imagine that the trub would soften much in the 15 minutes you're bottling.  Make sure you leave it propped up while you're bottling, and only tilt it for the last 1 or 2 bottles.

Yes, did have it propped up and only tilted for last couple. Pic shows the hop sack in the trub and it has slid forward just a bit. No biggie, I'll  either add another day of cold crashing or maybe I should consider the hop sack gained some weight and I should have removed it. Lol, very likely I need to just bottle and cap faster! 

20180317_143119.jpg

6 hours ago, D Kristof said:

I bottle and cover them with foil, then cap. My last bottle is always a clear 12 oz. Coke bottle.

why do you use aluminum foil?

I have a system i have one of those pepsi trays that holds bottles i got from a gas station just ask, many times theyll give you a couple just to get them out of their way, I set all my bottles up in the tray and then put all my carb drops in and only then do i take the keg out this way it is bottle after bottle and there is no time for it to warm up and yes u am using a wand now. The ray also come super useful in conditioning storage

Jdub, Cato and D Kristof like this

8 hours ago, Timelordjason said:

why do you use aluminum foil?

I have a system i have one of those pepsi trays that holds bottles i got from a gas station just ask, many times theyll give you a couple just to get them out of their way, I set all my bottles up in the tray and then put all my carb drops in and only then do i take the keg out this way it is bottle after bottle and there is no time for it to warm up and yes u am using a wand now. The ray also come super useful in conditioning storage

Not only do I live in a 175 year old house, we have cats. I use foil caps over each bottle to keep anything airborne out. The foil caps are only large enough to cover the top of the bottles and snug down the sides to hold them in place.  I sanitize and cover. I remove the cap to put the conditioning/carb tablets in and recover. After setting the stage I get the LBK and bottling wand set up and begin bottling. I remove the foil cap, fill then recover with the foil cap. Doing it this way also shortens the length of time my bottling wand is exposed. The filled, foil covered, and still uncapped bottles are placed into cardboard 6 pack cartons. As I cap, I pull out a bottle, remove the foil cover, cap then set it back into the six pack carton. Most 1/2 liter bottles will also still fit into the 6 pack pockets. 

Shrike, RickBeer and Cato like this

On 2018-03-18 at 8:07 AM, Cato said:

Bottling bucket and batch prime. A very nice way to go. 🍻 

Cato likes this