RickBeer

Propping Up Your LBK - No Trubal

55 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Marius said:

I will testify that both propping the keg while fermenting and cold crash worked beautifully. I used a piece of scrap lumber about 1inch thick, 6 inches long. That has worked great and no issue with sliding off. Only the last bottle got a little trub because I was being greedy. That won't be a problem after chilling that bottle when the time comes. Is it strange that the trub beer carbonated the fastest even though it was only half full? I fermented for three weeks. Still active yeast? Maybe time to get a hydrometer.

No, it's not strange, as it has a ton of yeast in it from the trub, only some of which is dead yeast.  Hopefully you put in 1/2 the sugar too...

Marius and gophers6 like this

Asking for a friend. What would be the consequence of putting two carb drops and only 1/2 of the 740ml full? Explosion or over fizzing beer? Any solutions to such a scenario?

Over fizzy beer.  PET bottles almost never give way, whereas a glass bottle could burst (a "bottle bomb").  Unlikely, but possible.

You could burp the bottle at 1 week by unscrewing the cap, listening to the gas come out, and then recap.

You could also pour it, let it sit in the fridge for 15 minutes, then drink it. 

Marius likes this

Bottled my Bewitched Amber today, and cold crashed for 2.5 days at 36F and got a cleaner yield as opposed to my Oktoberfest that I only cold crashed for 24 hrs.

Trub stayed put so much that even when I tilted the keg forwards quite a bit for that last PET bottle it never budged.

RickBeer and Jdub like this