RickBeer

Cold crashing - what it is, and why do you care?

176 posts in this topic

If they start at the same time, since same yeast, same temp.

If different times, I move probe to most active and put others higher in freezer.

I do the same, but I cannot move mine around. I use a fridge with two 6.5gal ale pails and 2 LBKs where the crisper drawers were.

@Rick, have you got a fan in there?

I did not add a fan yet.  When I had the paint can heater problem, i.e. with it in the middle heating the upper LBKs with the lower one having the temp probe on it, I rearranged things and put the heater on the bottom. 

Based on the work involved in doing 10 gallons that close to each other, and my needs, I don't know that I'll be doing it again.  My standard brewing is 5 gallons split between two LBKs, so they should be identical temps and if they are on the same shelf then the probe only needs to be on one of them.

Do you recommend cold crashing for every recipe? Also, would adding the tilt during cold crash and bottling be sufficient or is it crucial to do it throughout the entire process?

I cold crash everything, although wheat beers only overnight so they don't clear, just solidify trub. Tilting the entire process otherwise trub can build in the spigot.

Vakko likes this

Just so I'm clear, the bottling process remains the same after? Add sugar, Bring back to 68-72 for 4 weeks? Before going back in the fridge...

MRB Josh R likes this

Just so I'm clear, the bottling process remains the same after? Add sugar, Bring back to 68-72 for 4 weeks? Before going back in the fridge...

Yes.

Yes.

Except the only thing that should go into the fridge at 4 weeks is what you're going to drink 3 days later, letting the rest continue to condition at 68-72.

MRB Josh R likes this

It's a taste issue... IPA's lose their dry hop taste over time.  I've only made one IPA so far and it was actually an IPL, and I absolutely loved it after 1 week condition...

I cold crash everything, although wheat beers only overnight so they don't clear, just solidify trub. Tilting the entire process otherwise trub can build in the spigot.

In your experience, do Wheats produce more, less or the same amount of trub as say, a dopplebock?  My wheat is due for bottling on the 14th.  If I put it in the fridge that morning, bottling that night should be good? 

and a general question, is there a need to re-sanitize the spigot before bottling?  I got a bit paranoid when starting ferment in LBK, and wrapped the spigot in tinfoil (in case of leaking and/or aliens!).  But is leaving it open a potential for contaminating a bottle(s) later on?  I was thinking i'd submerge as much as possible of the spigot in a small bowl of sanitizer prior to bottling...

In your experience, do Wheats produce more, less or the same amount of trub as say, a dopplebock?  My wheat is due for bottling on the 14th.  If I put it in the fridge that morning, bottling that night should be good? 

and a general question, is there a need to re-sanitize the spigot before bottling?  I got a bit paranoid when starting ferment in LBK, and wrapped the spigot in tinfoil (in case of leaking and/or aliens!).  But is leaving it open a potential for contaminating a bottle(s) later on?  I was thinking i'd submerge as much as possible of the spigot in a small bowl of sanitizer prior to bottling...

No, I wouldn't expect that being in the frig for 8 or 10 hours would do much.  It has to get cold, and solidify.  Takes hours just to drop to 37 or whatever your frig is at.  I would go 24.  

Everyone knows that aliens cannot fit in a spigots, that's a really stupid question.  Yes, they can fit inside the LBK but only if you leave the lid too loose.  

Many use a shot glass full of sanitizer.  Some use a spray bottle like Squeegeethree and I.  I often sanitize when I take my sample before cold crashing, then forget to at bottling time.  Not many bugs in my beer frig though, and I've only seen 1 alien and he was too big for anything.  

Corbo, cowboykyle, Vakko and 1 other like this

The wheat beer in my avatar was cold crashed for 48 hours and it came out pretty well.  If anything, it was slightly over carbonated but that's due to me losing track of scoops on my batch prime lol  :lol: .

I'm scheduled to make it again either this weekend or next week some time.

Many use a shot glass full of sanitizer. 

Many use a shot glass full of sanitizer.  

Just don't confuse the shot of sanitizer with a shot of chilled vodka. I don't think the vodka would hurt the brew, but the sanitizer might hurt you.  :o

Corbo likes this

I don't cold crash because my wife won't let me.  There's no way she's going to let me remove a whole bunch of junk from the refrigerator so I can put my LBK inside for a couple of days.  Yet, I'd like to figure out another solution to my problem.  When I bottle, the first 18 bottles or so are good.  Then around the 19th bottle I start getting a little trub in my bottles, mainly the stuff that's floating on the surface of the LBK.  When drinking, it's not really an issue because its in the refrigerator the last day or two and that cold crashes the flotsam out.  When I ferment, I do so in a cooler.  I've tried the night before bottling to fill the cooler with ice packs to really chill it down that way, but over night cold crashing apparently isn't enough.  And no way to adequately cold crash in the cooler for several days.

If you batch prime, you can use a mesh bag on the end of the siphon hose to catch the floaters. Just be sure you start with the end of the hose submerged in the priming solution so you make sure not to get unwanted aeration. Someone else posted this ingenious method in a forum somewhere & I need to look it up so they get the proper credit.

As far as your CC dilemma, while a beer fridge in the garage would be ideal (maybe.. mine was invaded & completely overrun by leftovers that won't fit in the kitchen fridge. I swear the wife thinks I got it for her!), have you considered using the cheap refillable cold packs instead of ice?

How much propping does LBK need (1/2"', 1"', .??)? I assume not too much if you want to get as much beer as possible out. Sorry if it's already been posted.

The equivalent of 2 CD/DVD cases is fine. You should do this during fermenting too.

When you bottle, at the end, if you cold crashed, then remove them and put them at the other end (or use the cap) to get as much beer as possible out.

See "propping up the LBK, no trubal" in my signature.