RickBeer

Cold crashing - what it is, and why do you care?

148 posts in this topic

I just cold crashed my GBCP today. I proped up the front of the LBK per rickbeers directions. What did I use to prop it up you ask? Pieces of wood, no.

2 cd cases stacked in each other? Wrong again.

A bottle cap? Naw.

I used my girlfriends name badge from Applebee's.

its a perfect fit, true story. Show me someone who has ever done that.

i got my pipeline going solid. Aztec comes out of conditioning on the 24th. It will be 4 weeks since bottling. But I've read on here that people let the Aztec go longer than 4 weeks. Anybody got any advice

AnthonyC likes this

6 hours ago, Ron Howard Dawson said:

I just cold crashed my GBCP today. I proped up the front of the LBK per rickbeers directions. What did I use to prop it up you ask? Pieces of wood, no.

A bottle cap? Naw.

i got my pipeline going solid. Aztec comes out of conditioning on the 24th. It will be 4 weeks since bottling. But I've read on here that people let the Aztec go longer than 4 weeks. Anybody got any advice

Hahaha.... NICE!!!   ?

Put 1 Aztec in fridge for 3 days, then try it.  Let the rest gone werks, then do the same with what you are ready to drink and see.

Thanks for this thread, Rick.  I have learned alot.  I actually learned about cold crashing.....other than the multi-vehicle pile-up, and have done it.  For the first time.  Or should say doing it.  To my Sinister Bull Stout.  Its in my fridge now.  Pulled some beer to fit it...but the beer, in bottles, will survive.  It will be gone by this afternoon..I assure you.  :blink:  Anyway, thanks again.  Great article and good information.  Sometimes ya just gotta knock it in our heads...well, mine at least.  I am old, set in my ways, and sometimes I think I know it all.  Well, sometimes I do, but in this case, no..  You got it.

Thanks again.

On 10/22/2016 at 10:02 PM, Ron Howard Dawson said:

A bottle cap? Naw.

I used two CD cases.  What the heck...   only thing I had.

Again, tilting by hand is fine except that WHEN it is cold crashing you're not moving trub away from the spigot.  My trub ends up all on the back 1/2 of the LBK, and as a result doesn't approach the spigot during bottling until the last ounce.

cyberpip likes this

On 11/28/2016 at 10:26 AM, RickBeer said:

Again, tilting by hand is fine except that WHEN it is cold crashing you're not moving trub away from the spigot.  My trub ends up all on the back 1/2 of the LBK, and as a result doesn't approach the spigot during bottling until the last ounce.

Very True!  Just got done bottling a case a little while ago.  My Sinister Bull Milk Stout.  I cold crashed it for 2 days.  Then bottled it this afternoon.  Got 2 more bottles than I had usually been able to get without cold crashing.  Also, the trub was solidified on the bottom.  Well, maybe not solid, but pretty close.  And had been mostly towards the back because of my having tilted the barrel in the fridge.  I was very happy with the way the cold crashing helped.  It helped clear the brew, though this one is a very dark brew, black.  So wasnt easy to see through in the glass anyway.  I even was able to get a small glass to try it out and still got the two extra bottles on top of that.  And looking in the barrel, I might have been able to get one more bottle if I hadnt moved it a bit more than I would have if I was going to try for another.  The trub looked like a jellified matt at the bottom.  Was neat looking.  Would have made it really easy to save it if I had been so inclined.  Thanks for starting this topic Rick, it really helped me, and I am sure others.  Thanks! 

RickBeer likes this

Agreed.

Probably I could get less trub near the spigot by using the CD case technique.

Mostly I get trub IN the spigot. I have to flush a couple of quick turn ons to get that out and have it run clear before bottling. But if it is not totally all yeast I drink that anyway..

For  beers like the Diablo I just bottled though the trub was so tight after 3 weeks fermenting that it didn't even move on tilting.

Some though are real sloppy.

14 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Agreed.

Probably I could get less trub near the spigot by using the CD case technique.

Mostly I get trub IN the spigot. I have to flush a couple of quick turn ons to get that out and have it run clear before bottling. But if it is not totally all yeast I drink that anyway..

For  beers like the Diablo I just bottled though the trub was so tight after 3 weeks fermenting that it didn't even move on tilting.

Some though are real sloppy.

Well, kind of tight like mine after cold crashing for sure.  Was like a mat at the bottom of the lbk.  Well, more towards the back.   Was really amazed at how much it solidified.  Hadnt had the trub on any of my brews do that before.  Very interesting seeing it do that.  Which is why I was able to get extra bottles that I hadnt gotten before. 

RickBeer, TonyKZ1 and Nickfixit like this

20 minutes ago, sabres032 said:

I have a question regarding cold crashing. Can I safely cold crash my carboy in my garage with the ambient air temp in the 20's? 

Glass or plastic? I prob wouldnt for glass, just because. I dont think it would shatter but i wouldnt risk it

I imagine it would take awhile to freeze 5 gallons of liquid at 20 degrees.

john palmer froze his lager in his how to brew book. No biggie

sabres032 likes this

28 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Glass or plastic? I prob wouldnt for glass, just because. I dont think it would shatter but i wouldnt risk it

I imagine it would take awhile to freeze 5 gallons of liquid at 20 degrees.

john palmer froze his lager in his how to brew book. No biggie

It's a 5 gallon plastic carboy. Next question. Should I go the full three days or shorten it to one or two?

Can you cold crash for too long? I'm not going to be able to bottle until 5 days total of being in fridge 

it's my understanding if you go longer then three days you increase the chance of infection,,,,also read you only have to cold crash for 24-48 hours...maybe just go one day and bottle up...good luck!!!!??

Thanks guys, fridge is at a constant 36. Just been busier than expected and didn't wanna pull LBKs out just to put em back two days later.

Great suggestions. I didn't know these tricks but I'll implement them now. Another use for my apartment fridge with temp controller. 

So you keep the lbk tilted in the fridge? Then do a d-rest?

After 9-10 LBKs worth  I have given in and cold crashed the last two @ 24 hours each.  It'll be interesting to see how it affects the level of "residuals" in the bottoms of the 750 ml bottles.

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Try 3 days.  Trub will solidify more, and more particles will settle.

Will do. With a Maine vacation coming on I am stalling so it'll be a few weeks before another batch comes due.  Maybe by then I'll have my bigger basement refrigerator purchased and in place.