RickBeer

Cold crashing - what it is, and why do you care?

148 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, 76shovel said:

 After 9-10 LBKs worth  I have given in and cold crashed the last two @ 24 hours each.  It'll be interesting to see how it affects the level of "residuals" in the bottoms of the 750 ml bottles.

I have almost no trub in my bottles since I started cold crashing. I usually go 2 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My last two batches, el gordito and zombie fest, I have fermented in the fridge in the garage. I got I cranked up as hot as it will go. It's at about 55-57 degrees. The stick on thermometer on the LBK said 50 degrees, that was on the el gordito recipie. It's been bottled. I can't see what the zombiefest is reading because I have the stick on thermometer on the rear of this particular LBK and I can't see it. I don't want to disturb the LBK. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ron Howard Dawson said:

My last two batches, el gordito and zombie fest, I have fermented in the fridge in the garage. I got I cranked up as hot as it will go. It's at about 55-57 degrees. The stick on thermometer on the LBK said 50 degrees, that was on the el gordito recipie. It's been bottled. I can't see what the zombiefest is reading because I have the stick on thermometer on the rear of this particular LBK and I can't see it. I don't want to disturb the LBK. 

 

 

I don't know what fermenting two lagers has to do with cold crashing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RickBeer said:

 

I don't know what fermenting two lagers has to do with cold crashing...

My bad Rick. I was drinking very heavily with Hoppy yesterday. I should have posted that in a different topic. Feel free to move it if you wish.

Bonsai & Brew and AnthonyC like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, gophers6 said:

I have almost no trub in my bottles since I started cold crashing. I usually go 2 days.

@Bonsai & Brew must do this too. I was quite impressed with how little junk i had to watch for when pouring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

@Bonsai & Brew must do this too. I was quite impressed with how little junk i had to watch for when pouring. 

 

I do cold-crash occasionally but usually rely more on the propped-up LBK trick to minimize trub.  Thanks though. 

epete28 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's me again...

This has probably been covered but ... Do you guys remove the hop bags from the brew before you cold crash?

hotrod3539 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 76shovel said:

It's me again...

This has probably been covered but ... Do you guys remove the hop bags from the brew before you cold crash?

Nope, leave 'em in.  ???

hotrod3539 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 76shovel said:

It's me again...

This has probably been covered but ... Do you guys remove the hop bags from the brew before you cold crash?

Nope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hell nope. Plus, among other reasons, the hop sack will be covered with trub, disturbing it by attempting to remove it will intruduce trub into the beer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this is my 1st ever brew, Bewitched Amber Ale.  week 3 will be 9/11 I have tasted it and it tastes like flat beer, no sweet flavor. the problem I am having, my shipment of bottles will not arrive until sometime on the 11th. but I want to Cold Crash. is it okay to start that process now. Or is that too long in the fridge?  I plan on bottling as soon as the shipment arrives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you can start the cold crash now.  It won't be too long in the fridge. You want 3 days ideally.  Or wait, and go 3 days when you do cold crash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Yes, you can start the cold crash now.  It won't be too long in the fridge. You want 3 days ideally.  Or wait, and go 3 days when you do cold crash.

 

I'M mainly concerned with leaving it in  the LBK and ruining it.  Again though 1st batch so I'm not sure if a few extra days past 3 weeks is okay.  Like I said I did the taste test last night.  It was delicious! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Darthvin said:

 

I'M mainly concerned with leaving it in  the LBK and ruining it.  Again though 1st batch so I'm not sure if a few extra days past 3 weeks is okay.  Like I said I did the taste test last night.  It was delicious! 

Oh boy, he's got the first timer jitters. Just don't cold crash it in the freezer for 3 days and you will be alright bud

Darthvin likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ron Howard Dawson said:

Oh boy, he's got the first timer jitters. Just don't cold crash it in the freezer for 3 days and you will be alright bud

 HAHA you know it! I'm so excited about it too. Already have more waiting to go in after this is bottled.  Just  trying to learn from all of you and your skills!!!

MiniYoda likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Darthvin said:

 

I'M mainly concerned with leaving it in  the LBK and ruining it.  Again though 1st batch so I'm not sure if a few extra days past 3 weeks is okay.  Like I said I did the taste test last night.  It was delicious! 

 

It won't hurt it.

jasbo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darthvin said:

 

... I'm not sure if a few extra days past 3 weeks is okay. ...

I've let it go 2 or 3 days past 21, and I've ended fermentation at 19 days. No big deal. I've also cold-crashed for 3, 4, 5 and once even 6 days. No problems I could detect.

 

I'm in this for the fun and relaxation of a hobby, and if things get too rigid, planning things down to the hour, all the fun goes out of it for me. So IMHO the best advice is to just relax, learn and enjoy the results.

 

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Darthvin said:

 HAHA you know it! I'm so excited about it too. Already have more waiting to go in after this is bottled.  Just  trying to learn from all of you and your skills!!!

 

Great to see that you are enjoying your new hobby.  The thing about this hobby is patience.  I mucked up a few brews in my time because I was trying to do too much too quick.  the key to this hobby is, patience.  Read and learn, as your beer ferments and carbonates.  It takes time to make a good beer.

 

Personally, I went from a bad mac & cheese to an impressive biscuits & gravy.  I wanted to do better, and I learned that if I studied, and took the time to do it  better, I had a better result.   A lot of time and practice.

 

Enjoy your new hobby, and keep us updated on how you are doing.

Darthvin likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@RickBeer Im currently brewing a brown bag special, the recipe says to bring the LBK to room temperature for the last three days of Fermentation, i generally cold crash all my brews. Is it standard to cold crash a brown bag special after leaving it in room temperature or should i just go straight to cold crashing it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now