RickBeer

Cold crashing - what it is, and why do you care?

132 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, 76shovel said:

After 9-10 LBKs worth  I have given in and cold crashed the last two @ 24 hours each.  It'll be interesting to see how it affects the level of "residuals" in the bottoms of the 750 ml bottles.

I have almost no trub in my bottles since I started cold crashing. I usually go 2 days.

My last two batches, el gordito and zombie fest, I have fermented in the fridge in the garage. I got I cranked up as hot as it will go. It's at about 55-57 degrees. The stick on thermometer on the LBK said 50 degrees, that was on the el gordito recipie. It's been bottled. I can't see what the zombiefest is reading because I have the stick on thermometer on the rear of this particular LBK and I can't see it. I don't want to disturb the LBK. 

8 hours ago, Ron Howard Dawson said:

My last two batches, el gordito and zombie fest, I have fermented in the fridge in the garage. I got I cranked up as hot as it will go. It's at about 55-57 degrees. The stick on thermometer on the LBK said 50 degrees, that was on the el gordito recipie. It's been bottled. I can't see what the zombiefest is reading because I have the stick on thermometer on the rear of this particular LBK and I can't see it. I don't want to disturb the LBK. 

I don't know what fermenting two lagers has to do with cold crashing...

5 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I don't know what fermenting two lagers has to do with cold crashing...

My bad Rick. I was drinking very heavily with Hoppy yesterday. I should have posted that in a different topic. Feel free to move it if you wish.

AnthonyC and Bonsai & Brew like this

14 hours ago, gophers6 said:

I have almost no trub in my bottles since I started cold crashing. I usually go 2 days.

@Bonsai & Brew must do this too. I was quite impressed with how little junk i had to watch for when pouring. 

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

@Bonsai & Brew must do this too. I was quite impressed with how little junk i had to watch for when pouring. 

I do cold-crash occasionally but usually rely more on the propped-up LBK trick to minimize trub.  Thanks though. 

epete28 likes this