RickBeer

Cold crashing - what it is, and why do you care?

183 posts in this topic

@RickBeer, @MRB Josh R, @MRB Tim, @MRB Josh B

@Jdub

I would like to cold crash my Tangerine Hoppy IPA starting this Sunday after 3 weeks in the fermenter but . . . .

It is in the 2G tall fermenter, not my LBK.  I have a minfridge I can cold crash LBKs in but it is not large enough for the 2G tall fermenter.

I could:

- transfer from the 2G to a sanitized LBK using a bottling wand to reduce aeration and then cold crash in the LBK; OR

- use ice packs and artificial ice in a keg cooler jacket to try to cold crash the brew in the tall 2G fermenter for 3 days.  But I don't think I will be able to get temp down low enough; OR

- not cold crash.

I welcome thoughts on this!  Thanks!  

IMG_2779.jpg

24 minutes ago, KaijuBrew said:

@Jdub

I would like to cold crash my Tangerine Hoppy IPA starting this Sunday after 3 weeks in the fermenter but . . . .

It is in the 2G tall fermenter, not my LBK.  I have a minfridge I can cold crash LBKs in but it is not large enough for the 2G tall fermenter.

I could:

- transfer from the 2G to a sanitized LBK using a bottling wand to reduce aeration and then cold crash in the LBK; OR

- use ice packs and artificial ice in a keg cooler jacket to try to cold crash the brew in the tall 2G fermenter for 3 days.  But I don't think I will be able to get temp down low enough; OR

- not cold crash.

Just don't cold-crash. It's not required. In fact, I almost never do it.

11 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Just don't cold-crash. It's not required. In fact, I almost never do it.

Okay - I do have a black IPA and a Salty Dog Gose in LBKs that I plan to cold crash.

That is one downside of the 2G Fermenter - hard to temp control and cold crash.

Black IPA is all nice and cold crashed for 3 days.

Should I cold crash my Salty Dog Grapefruit Gose or just bottle it too?

On 5/6/2018 at 11:53 AM, KaijuBrew said:

Black IPA is all nice and cold crashed for 3 days.

Should I cold crash my Salty Dog Grapefruit Gose or just bottle it too?

In the end, I just bottled it without cold crashing.  It had an intriguing flavor with the citrusy grapefruit.  Much better than the commercial raspberry gose sample I tried at my local growler / many beers on tap shop.  I think I just like citrus as a flavor.

Cato and Shrike like this

On 5/3/2018 at 5:30 PM, KaijuBrew said:

@Jdub

I could:

- not cold crash.

IMG_2779.jpg

I have a slightly taller dorm fridge I can take shelves out of, it works for the above fermenter if I very carefully remove the krausen extension ring. You don't need the extension ring past high krausen anyhow.

youdontknowme311 and KaijuBrew like this