Mr.Beer Community
RickBeer

Cold crashing - what it is, and why do you care?

28 minutes ago, ewildcat7 said:

Can the fridge that I am using for fermentation with a temperature controller also be used for cold crashing?  I am assuming that it would be as simple as just disconnecting the temperature controller and having the fridge plugged directly into the wall to get it back to a normal fridge temperature.  I see this as advantageous because I would not be disturbing the fermenter.  But would doing it that way not actually serve the purpose of "cold crashing" because it would be getting to a cold temperature gradually?  Or is it just fine as long as I don't start the 12-24 hour clock until the fridge is completely cold?

This is the ideal set up. If it was me, i would ferment at 62ish for 2.5 weeks, raise to 65-68 for a few days, then crash that baby!!! Better would be to drop 5-10 degrees per day so you dont shock the yeast but who really does that? Not this guy. Why unplug the controller? Cant you just set it to 35?

5 hours ago, ewildcat7 said:

Can the fridge that I am using for fermentation with a temperature controller also be used for cold crashing?  I am assuming that it would be as simple as just disconnecting the temperature controller and having the fridge plugged directly into the wall to get it back to a normal fridge temperature.  I see this as advantageous because I would not be disturbing the fermenter.  But would doing it that way not actually serve the purpose of "cold crashing" because it would be getting to a cold temperature gradually?  Or is it just fine as long as I don't start the 12-24 hour clock until the fridge is completely cold?

Cold crashing is not "flash freezing".  The fridge will drop to refrigerator temps quite quickly.  The wort will drop to refrigerator temps in hours.  3 days is not 72 hours and zero minutes, it's 3 days.  Cold crashing is done for 3 days, not 12-24 hours.

I would simply reset the temp controller to your desired temperature, with the frig temperature settings on max.  

I use a freezer for fermenting (upright, fixed shelves, not frost-free - but it was "free"), and simply pickup my fermenter and carefully move it next door to the frig, which is around 36 degrees.  That allows me to ferment something else, or turn off the freezer and save electricity. 

I made a ramp/cradle to hold my LBK steady, which I put into a Rubbermaid tub, and then put the LBK on it.  I could easily carefully carry it upstairs to the main fridge if I wanted, and if I had permission from SWMBO.  I leave it downstairs in the beer frig.  

5 hours ago, ewildcat7 said:

I am confused by this statement....

This isn't the pharmaceutical industry.  It's not a scientific experiment with exacting results.  Let's say it's Monday afternoon, and you decide to cold crash at 3:37PM.  On Thursday, you want to bottle.  You do NOT have to wait until 3:37PM Thursday to bottle.  You can bottle Thursday morning just fine.

Same as 3 weeks fermenting.  If it's 2 weeks, 5 days, and 7 hours there's a 99% chance it won't make any difference than if you wait 21 full days, 24 hours each.  Big difference between 10 days and 21 days though.  

9 hours ago, RickBeer said:

This isn't the pharmaceutical industry.  It's not a scientific experiment with exacting results.  Let's say it's Monday afternoon, and you decide to cold crash at 3:37PM.  On Thursday, you want to bottle.  You do NOT have to wait until 3:37PM Thursday to bottle.  You can bottle Thursday morning just fine.

Same as 3 weeks fermenting.  If it's 2 weeks, 5 days, and 7 hours there's a 99% chance it won't make any difference than if you wait 21 full days, 24 hours each.  Big difference between 10 days and 21 days though.  

got it - thank you!