Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brybry

Bottle Bombs - how long?

21 posts in this topic

I've had my first batch in the bottles at room temp which fluctuates between 72 to 64 for 8 days. At what point is it safe to assume the risk of bottle bombs has passed? 

If your batch was fully fermented your chances of a bomb are pretty slim.

I did an 18 day fermentation on the batch. Problem is that I only have one cooler and that's where my bottles are sitting now, but I want to free up the cooler to start my next batch.

I've had it happen twice when I was using the 2 week fermentation method.  Ended up losing 7 bottles total.  It can happen at any time after you prime.

If you have successfully made sure that your fermentation has ended, no need to worry.

r we talking about malatov cocktail? or am I still on planet nine?

a bottle bomb is when for any number of reasons a glass bottle over carbonates. pressure builds beyond the strength of the glass. the result is an exploding glass bottle that shoots shards of glass fragments in all directions.  while rare if one is careful to ensure that fermentation is done before bottling, and that the proper amount of sugar is used.. they can happen.

Bottle Bombs aka premature ejaculation homebrew style has never happened in the Salad household. SWMBO is extremely happy with that. NEVER delay brewing a batch worrying about PEHBS. Like RickBeer stated...needless worrying, how old are you? You sound like my mother in law and she is 86. Brew to your hearts content and if you are concerned put the bottles in a bag in a cooler environment and let her roll. Keep brewing keep bottling STOP worrying.

Salud my friends

It can technically happen at any time, even months and months after bottling. People win the lotto, too, but the chances are slim. The yeast is eating the priming sugar for the first few days/weeK, so if there has been any error in priming sugar amounts or the batch wasn't finished fermenting, it will occur within the first couple of weeks. Chances drop off fast after that.

Weak/thin/damaged bottles could have problems at anytime.

Yup, generally a true bottle bomb (caused by beer not being fermented) will happen within the 4 weeks of carbing and conditioning.  Ive had one as was with a very finicky saison yeast that tends to go to sleep early (which I did not know at the time).  However, Ive had an occurrence where I had one months down the road that I attribute to a weak bottle finally letting go.  That was when I was using my wing capper and would have neck failures every once in awhile when opening a bottle.  Since going to a bench capper Ive had no issues.

I have had a few bottle bombs for reasons I can only guess. They all happened during a summer heat wave when I used to do the 4 week post-LBK conditioning in the bottom cabinet of the kitchen. With the air conditioner going and trying to keep up, it was probably close to 80 degrees in there. The glassware was old Anchor Steam and Pilsner Urquel bottles, which are on the thin side. Maybe they had micro cracks. Moved them all to a cooler room in the house. Wife was working at home at the time and heard pops.

All was well until another heat wave last weekend when a Powerful Patriot Ale bomb went off. That beer was bottled in an old Anchor Steam bottle over 6 months ago. Not sure why that one went off. I looked at my log and that one went 3 weeks in the LBK before bottling, so it should have been fully fermented and it's brethren all tasted great and not green. Probably the glass bottles or maybe use of the wing capper. Just bought a bunch of swing tops. Sick of those bombs.

I have never had real bombs but the glass bottles split in a ring around the bottom and the bottoms came off releasing the beer.

I have never had real bombs but the glass bottles split in a ring around the bottom and the bottoms came off releasing the beer.

I've had that.

The other possibility of the bottle bombs on my end is I heat sterilized a couple dozen bottles about a year ago as an experiment on the advice of a brewer friend who uses heat as his sterilization method without problems. I used the directions by John Palmer (http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter2-2-3.html) and heated at 250degrees F with a slow cool, but I suspect that the heat may have compromised these bottles. Hard thing to figure out is which of my bottles went through the heat since the all get mixed up over time. Will avoid heat sterilization in the future, although I am not sure the heat is to blame.

I want to condition my bottles in a large plastic container. Both for convenience but also in case of leaking or exploding. Is there any reason against storing bottled beer in a closed (not air tight) container? Thanks

1 hour ago, Marius said:

I want to condition my bottles in a large plastic container. Both for convenience but also in case of leaking or exploding. Is there any reason against storing bottled beer in a closed (not air tight) container? Thanks

That's what I usually do with my high ABV batches.  I've got some Novacaine sitting in a cooler right now, just in case.

Marius and hotrod3539 like this