Mr.Beer Community
peanutman

Getting Back to Mr. Beer

Well it's been several years a couple of job changes but i'm back! I have to get my account updated. I sold all my brewing equipment so i will have to restock.

Man has the site changed. Seen a lot of things i like. Hope to be brewing by the summer. Any recommendations on equipment or brews?

At one time i was running four small fermenters. I like a verity. I prefer Blonds, Amber's, Reds, and Crafts. One of my all time favorites was the cowgirl honey Wheat.

welcome back.  you could always go the cheap route and pick up a bunch of food grade 5 gallon buckets with lids.. drill a  hole in the lid, add a rubber grommet and airlock and make mr beer kits in half a bucket.   just wash everything before use and sanitize.  I have a 1 gallon batch going in a beverage dispenser, a 2.5 gallon batch going in a 5 gal bucket in my ferment cooler/chamber...  and a 2.5 gallon batch (saison) in a bucket in a cooler with an aquarium heater and a water bath.  since I autosiphon I don't worry about the bucket being in potentially unsterile water.

tons of buckets and lids... and a good Italian carboy... and 4 one gallon glass jars... now if only I could afford to keep all of them busy all the time.

Just picked up an LBK kit for $36.00 on a close out site. Last one!

Nice.  Now you need to scour around town tracking down HMEs on clearance at Target, Sears, and Kohls.

Get another LBK imo.  Nothing is worse than the wait for your beer.

I too have come back to Mr Beer.  I have been brewing All Grain BIAB Method for the past two year, and will continue to do so. The simpicity of Mr beer I like so much. I bought the new upright fermenter kit.  Batch in 35 Min.  When I first started with Mr Beer I didn't even take a temp reading or a gravity reading.  No Bottling wand either. Duh.  What about keeping good notes in a log, recording dates etc.  Now I believe I can brew up some tasty beers with the knowledge I have aquired over the past few years and use that with the simpicity of a Mr Beer Kit to make some nice 5%-6% Golden Ales with the addition of DME (better color accurac0y and some dry Hopping too.  Steep some specialty grains which would add 20-30 Min.  I see Mr Beer being dissed but  I wonder how many Mr Beer Batches have been ruined by not taking temp readings gravity readings and bottling without a wand, and lets add bad sanitizing techniques to that list. :(

welcome back.  you could always go the cheap route and pick up a bunch of food grade 5 gallon buckets with lids.. drill a  hole in the lid, add a rubber grommet and airlock and make mr beer kits in half a bucket.   just wash everything before use and sanitize.  I have a 1 gallon batch going in a beverage dispenser, a 2.5 gallon batch going in a 5 gal bucket in my ferment cooler/chamber...  and a 2.5 gallon batch (saison) in a bucket in a cooler with an aquarium heater and a water bath.  since I autosiphon I don't worry about the bucket being in potentially unsterile water.

tons of buckets and lids... and a good Italian carboy... and 4 one gallon glass jars... now if only I could afford to keep all of them busy all the time.

Or you could buy an LBK for only $10. Buy a few of them to make the shipping worth it and you just saved a lot of time drilling holes in buckets. Plus they don't take up as much space. ;)

http://www.mrbeer.com/2-gallon-fermenter-beer-keg

Just make sure you have everything you want on your order correct.  Because Renee says that shipping is too efficient and they won't add stuff onto your order if it's been more than like 30 minutes.

She hates me...

Just make sure you have everything you want on your order correct.  Because Renee says that shipping is too efficient and they won't add stuff onto your order if it's been more than like 30 minutes.

She hates me...

Haha, she doesn't hate you Vakko.  We have made some great advances in our order -> shipping speed and we aim to continue to provide even speedier service as time goes on.  As a result, it is increasingly hard to stop or alter an order that might already be in a box, even after just an hour or two after being placed.

She hates me...

I know for a fact that's not true. I talked to her on the phone after reading your post, and she said she doesn't hate you, she just can't stand you. So you can cheer up and relax now.

Nice.  Now you need to scour around town tracking down HMEs on clearance at Target, Sears, and Kohls.

Thanks for additional places to pick up HMEs. Will do on the additional LBKs. Just a matter of time!

peanutman, Don't know if you have checked out the local LHBS's. Homebrew Headquarters on Coit just north of beltline carries MR Beer HME. The guys there are very helpful as well. Worth the drive. Winemakers Toy Store on I35 did not impress me with their customer service. although a decent selection, especially wine. They also have a few Mr B refills.

... and garage sales.  Inlaws would pick them up LBKs for me for $1-2 a pop until I told them to STOP!  There are so many people who dont follow instructions or listen to the collective wisdom.

I too have come back to Mr Beer.  I have been brewing All Grain BIAB Method for the past two year, and will continue to do so. The simpicity of Mr beer I like so much. I bought the new upright fermenter kit.  Batch in 35 Min.  When I first started with Mr Beer I didn't even take a temp reading or a gravity reading.  No Bottling wand either. Duh.  What about keeping good notes in a log, recording dates etc.  Now I believe I can brew up some tasty beers with the knowledge I have aquired over the past few years and use that with the simpicity of a Mr Beer Kit to make some nice 5%-6% Golden Ales with the addition of DME (better color accurac0y and some dry Hopping too.  Steep some specialty grains which would add 20-30 Min.  I see Mr Beer being dissed but  I wonder how many Mr Beer Batches have been ruined by not taking temp readings gravity readings and bottling without a wand, and lets add bad sanitizing techniques to that list. :(

I agree Trumpetman.  I do everything from MrB to AG.  When I hit times like this where I am too busy to devote hours of a day, I know I can sneak in a quick MrB brew in less time that it would take me to clean my equipment going AG or in many cases just a full boil extract.

peanutman, Don't know if you have checked out the local LHBS's. Homebrew Headquarters on Coit just north of beltline carries MR Beer HME. The guys there are very helpful as well. Worth the drive. Winemakers Toy Store on I35 did not impress me with their customer service. although a decent selection, especially wine. They also have a few Mr B refills.

Yes i have been there many times. Nice complete shop.

Welcome back peanutman. I got lucky and found my Mr. Beer complete system at Academy Sports on clearance for $15.98. That was such a good price that I bought two. I currently have the American Classic Light going in one and St. Patrick's Irish Stout going in the other. The two batches are staggered by a week.