Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BeerBro

Vakko's Chimay Blue recipe

20 posts in this topic

Well, I'm about half way through fermenting my batch. Added the 2nd bag of hops to my wort today. Got a nice smell coming off the wort, it was fantastic. Smelled just like the real thing. Thanks again for posting the recipe Vakko.

Well, I'm about half way through fermenting my batch. Added the 2nd bag of hops to my wort today. Got a nice smell coming off the wort, it was fantastic. Smelled just like the real thing. Thanks again for posting the recipe Vakko.

NP.

I'm about to make another batch (even though I haven't gotten a 4 week taste yet) and I'm thinking about some variations but haven't decided what yet  :D

Well I cold crashed my LBK last night, not before I tried a little taste though...and I have to say...this recipe is EXCELLENT! Ready to start bottling it after I get my bottles sanitized!

4 week taste was pretty darn good.  I could drink a lot of it... but I won't.  I actually went and hid a bunch of bottles.

BeerBro likes this

Next batch will use honey to get some dryer finish:

Authentic Trappis version tend to be drier (Belgians would say "more digestible")

And I think I'm going to use a little Sterling and Tettnang.

The goal is to get into the mid 8% range with an IBU in the lower 30s.

--edit--

Considering UK Northdown.  Looks exactly what I want. Or First Gold UK!

Hey Vakko...got a question...now that Mr. Beer isn't selling the holiday LME that goes w/ this recipe, what would u recommend substituting for it?

It's going to get expensive to sub around the seasonal.  

American Porter is probably the closest...  And it currently costs $5 more than the Winter Seasonal for half the beer and doesn't come T-58 either.

TBH, I'll probably pick up 3-4 more seasonal before August so I can have 5-6 cases of delicious strong belgian dark ale. :)

BeerBro likes this

vakko, u ever tried white labs liquid yeast? ive got one just for the ESB this fall, and two others for additional Belgian ale, so ill be getting some more of the stuff myself too

I stopped using liquid yeasts years ago because there is just too many tbh.

When 5 mins on hop X and 10 mins on hop Y create a certain flavor, folding yeast A vs B makes my head spin.

I stick with fermentis, not because dry is so much easier to pitch, but because their yeasts all have wide category range.  2 lagers, 3 ales, and 3 specialties.  Phew!  So much easier.

You could literally use the exact same ingredients over and over again and get a different beer each time.  Toss in the variance of yeast type, temperature of fermentation, flocculation, etc etc.

You need to add Danstar in there so you get Nottingham and Belle Saison. http://www.danstaryeast.com/products  

I haven't used the Nottingham yet, I have used the Belle Saison.  As a matter of fact, I'm about to bottle my Belgian Trippel that used Belle Saison in about a half hour (it's resting on the counter now that I removed it from the fridge).

Glad this one came back to life.

I am going to give it a whirl but not to the T.

Thanks Vakko for posting the recipe.!!

Off topic: There is a micro brewer fest in o-town on the 18th. Waterford lakes plaza East Orlando off of alfaya tr.

I have to miss this one, (Working)

I am sure Tampa has quite a bit as well.

Cheers

There's a homebrewer BJCP style competition hosted by the Florida Homebrewer's next month in Orlando, too.

Tampa's micro brews suck, tbh (besides Cigar City)

Well my chimay was successfully bottled last night with my new bottle capper. Now more waiting...which is the hard part.

Well my chimay was successfully bottled last night with my new bottle capper. Now more waiting...which is the hard part.

Now it's make another one but vary it slightly :D

BeerBro likes this

Now it's make another one but vary it slightly :D

Yup! I ordered another refill yesterday to start my next back! lol.

Vakko likes this