Mr.Beer Community
brybry

dragons milk

The order with the cans I need to make this came yesterday. So I plan on brewing this weekend. But I may have jumped the gun a bit when I bought the grains about 3 weeks ago. How long will the milled grains last in the refrigerator? They were inexpensive so if 3 weeks is pushing it I can just buy them again.

I just put this in the LBK, the OG 1.093 @ 66. 

Now a couple of questions.

When I steeped the grains I didn't do a very good job of keeping the temp at 160, my range was as low as 130 to 190. What if anything will this do to the beer?

Also when I rinsed the grains with 1 cup of water the liquid that came out was really dark. So I did this again, actually I ended up rinsing with 4 cups of hot water and gave the bag a good squeeze. Did I do the right thing or should I have stopped with only 1 cup of rinse water?

Well, above 170 and it's possible to get bitter compounds out of the grains. That's the reason so many mash tuns are made out of water coolers. For steeping specialty grains, a small cooler (1-2 gallons) works well, just be sure to preheat it with some hot water for a few minutes first so you aren't using your "strike water" to heat the cooler.

The sparge (rinsing the grains) is fine, you might have gotten better extraction using the 4 cups of water. Squeezing the bag is a bit of a hot topic. Some say don't do it at all. Some say it's OK as long as you don't go above that 170° mark.

I am sure more experienced brewers will come in and give more & better info.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop how this comes out!

Well hopefully the increased temp during the steeping doesn't have too much of a detrimental affect. I can say it smelled and tasted pretty good. It's gonna kill me to wait till I can try this batch.

I might be talking out of my butt here, but you weren't using a lot of the specialty grains, so it probably won't be a big deal if you did extract some tannins. Heck, with the specialty grains, it might not even be an issue, and only be a thing for the base malts - but again, I am talking out of my butt on this.

:)

OG: 1.096 (HUGE beer! Be Careful if using an LBK!)

Feel free to tweak it however you like. I may try this one out of sheer curiosity

Due Josh's warning and the fact that the warm weather we've been having this spring has brought the air temp in my basement up to about 66 to 68. I placed the LBK in my cooler for this batch. I've been changing ice packs twice a day and have so far managed to keep the stick on temp to 64-66. It looks like the fermentation is progressing and so far I've not had any overflows or other problems. And I must say the aroma when I open the cooler in the morning is absolutely wonderful, I can't wait to try this beer.

Also Josh, have you tried this? If so how's it working out for you?

Surprisingly I have not had any overflows or even a very active Krausen. I'm hoping it because I've been trying to keep this beer cool (below 64) while fermenting and not because it has stalled. It still smells wonderful every time I open the cooler to check the temp. Today is day 10 so I think I may pull it out of the cooler and let it finish at my ambient basement temp of about 66 to 68. 

How long to condition? Well I'm sure this would benefit from months. But to be realistic I'll probably start sampling bottles at 2 weeks, I have absolutely no patience when it come to waiting to try my beers. Hopefully I can manage to keep a few long enough to taste at 6 months. Most likely if I try this after a few weeks I'll just start another batch right away so I have some to condition longer.

I'd imagine this is a beer that would do well with longer conditioning times. My guess is that it would hit its peak in 4-6 months.

Good luck with your patience! Just know you are not alone - I have a case of Novacaine I am sitting on, it will be Christmas or NYE before I crack one open for the first time. You can do it, brother!

:D

I'd imagine this is a beer that would do well with longer conditioning times. My guess is that it would hit its peak in 4-6 months.

Good luck with your patience! Just know you are not alone - I have a case of Novacaine I am sitting on, it will be Christmas or NYE before I crack one open for the first time. You can do it, brother!

Same here. I haven't tried one. I had a sip on bottling day and it tasted good then so I'm not worried one bit.

Since I was shuffling my LBK's tonight to get my Robust Aztec into the fridge for the Cold Crash. Even though it's only been in the LBK for 12 days I decided to take a SG reading of the Dragons Milk It's currently at 1.024 @ 68, started at 1.092 @ 64 the screwy brewer calculator says that's 9% ABV. I'm hoping to see that drop down to about 1.010 in the next 10 days.

Tasted the sample. First impression is Smokey Oak, then as that fades I'm getting the Jameson. Hopefully the Oak & Jameson will mellow a bit as this conditions. I'm wondering if I should pull the Oak Chips out of the LBK for the last week, thoughts? is there a way to do that without risking contamination?

Fermenting for 18 days, took a SG reading tonight 1.022 @ 68, that has me at about 9.3% ABV. Seems like it ma have stalled. I'm looking for suggestions bring it up from my basement with an air temp of 68 to my kitchen with a temp of 72 for a few days? Or just leave it go in the basement for another week?

The Oak flavor is still present but has already mellowed a bit from just a week ago, and the distinctive Jameson flavor is gone. I like this enough I could drink it just like this with out carbing.

Well, the actual beer is only 10%ABV, and you are close to that. Maybe the yeast has reached peak attenuation? 1.022 is decent for a big beer, and I imagine this brew has a good bit of un-fermentable sugars anyway. I am looking at .002 difference in gravity over a week's time, so I am betting this one done.

Move it up to the kitchen, give it another 3 days if you want, & check gravity again. I am betting it won't have changed.

If you think it tastes good now, just imagine what it will taste like in a few months!

Well, the actual beer is only 10%ABV, and you are close to that. Maybe the yeast has reached peak attenuation? 1.022 is decent for a big beer, and I imagine this brew has a good bit of un-fermentable sugars anyway. I am looking at .002 difference in gravity over a week's time, so I am betting this one done.

Move it up to the kitchen, give it another 3 days if you want, & check gravity again. I am betting it won't have changed.

If you think it tastes good now, just imagine what it will taste like in a few months!

Forgive my inexperience.

But how do you know the beer is only 10%, Josh's recipe indicated 11%?

Also other beers I'm making are going down to 1.010 to 1.008 range, so why shouldn't this one?

Forgive my inexperience.

Also other beers I'm making are going down to 1.010 to 1.008 range, so why shouldn't this one?

QBrew puts this at 9.4%, with an OG of 1.097 and an FG of 1.024.  

This won't go down as low due to unfermentable sugars, as was mentioned.  They cannot ferment, they keep gravity higher.

QBrew puts this at 9.4%, with an OG of 1.097 and an FG of 1.024.  

This won't go down as low due to unfermentable sugars, as was mentioned.  They cannot ferment, they keep gravity higher.

I've downloaded & installed QBrew but haven't spent the time to figure it out yet. I'm on vacation next week with nothing to do but yard work and the honey do list, maybe I'll need to add learn QBrew near the top of the list.

Also think I'll move the LBK to the cooler and put it in the corner of the kitchen till Monday, then do the cold crash.

Both you and slym2none mention the unfermentable sugars, does QBrew tell you that they exist or are you getting that from something else?

Forgive my inexperience.

I looked up Dragon's Milk on BeerAdvocate.com, they claim it is a 10% ABV beer.

The other beers you are making, are they as high-gravity? A good "rule of thumb" is you'll finish at 75% of your OG "gravity points", so if you have a brew that starts at 1.100, it will probably finish at 1.025; if it starts at 1.050, you'll likely finish out at 1.012 or so. This all depends on the yeast, of course, and I see you are using US-05, where 75% attenuation is about right. And again, there will be a good amount of unfermentable sugars in these big beers.

:)

the Dragon's Milk sold in stores is labeled as 11% ABV, I literally just drank one.  i'd have to look back through this thread or other threads to see what the clone is... and i'm too lazy to do that, or that 11% is working... 

Take it up with BeerAdvocate.com

;)   :P   :)

*EDIT*

Just looked again, BA says that 2014 bottles are 11%, so I guess 2015 bottles are the 10% ones.

I am going out on a limb and saying that if I were trying to make something like Dragon's Milk and I ended up around 9-1/2%, I'd not feel too badly about it.