Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MRB Josh R

Cerealiously Lucky Charms - Collaboration Recipe NOW AVAILABLE!!

Remember those weekends in your childhood when you would watch the Saturday morning cartoons while eating heavily sugared cereal in your pajamas? One brewery wants you to vicariously relive those moments through their beer. Introducing the “Cerealiously Lucky Charms™” milk stout from Black Bottle Brewing Company in Fort Collins, CO.

Black Bottle brewery set out to make a joke beer using “Count Chocula” Cereal. The beer turned out fantastic, so with full support from General Mills™, they decided to bring it out to the public. For each limited batch they use a rich milk stout base and a different cereal each month. This month is “Lucky Charms™”.

This rich and silky full-bodied stout has notes of roasted barley, chocolate, and espresso with a sweet marshmallow finish. It’s guaranteed to take you back to those lazy Saturday mornings as a kid. So go ahead, kick up your feet, turn on some cartoons, and enjoy your cereal in beer form. It’s magically delicious!

http://www.mrbeer.com/cerealiously-lucky-charms-milk-stout-collaboration-recipe

Recipe-CLCMilkStout-Home.jpg

At the 1 week mark, sanitize your third hop sack, place 1 cup Lucky Charms into it, tie the hop sack closed, then trim away excess material.

OK, so somebody tell me why the Lucky Charms would not introduce any unwanted bugs into the beer? Is it because of the sugar coating keeping them clean or the alcohol present by this time being able to kill anything on the cereal?

At the 1 week mark, sanitize your third hop sack, place 1 cup Lucky Charms into it, tie the hop sack closed, then trim away excess material.

OK, so somebody tell me why the Lucky Charms would not introduce any unwanted bugs into the beer? Is it because of the sugar coating keeping them clean or the alcohol present by this time being able to kill anything on the cereal?

Good question, the sugar won't protect it only powdered (granulated) sugar is a dessicant, and there ain't enough alcohol in beer to kill bugs

We just tried this at Black Bottle Brewery in Fort Collins Co. Wow. It was a tad sweet for our liking (we have never really been into sweet stouts) but it was pretty good! What a fun little brewery. They did a "Count Chocula" stout a while back and apparently bought all the cereal In the city. It pissed off one lady so they hand delivered a box for her kids. It was in the news (apparently a slow news day that day). Was a fun story to hear about.

I dunno thats a better news story than most.  Local news is nothing but doom and gloom here which I why I don't watch it anymore

I live in the city where a retired millionaire turned deputy accidently mistakened his gun for his tazor and killed an unarmed man during an arrest, here he had it all, and now he wont have a thing when its all said and done, oh btw, Liver Wurst Ale is brewed in my back yard, and ive been buying up all the liver wurst and no complaints so far, just a foul smell during boil

Whoa Nelly - two and half oz of hops in two gallons of stout? That sounds like a highly hopped brew, doesn't it? I would assume that 1 oz (depending on the AA of the hops) would be suffiicent... No?

;)

Whoa Nelly - two and half oz of hops in two gallons of stout? That sounds like a highly hopped brew, doesn't it? I would assume that 1 oz (depending on the AA of the hops) would be suffiicent... No?

I have a book with a bunch of 19th century stout recipes and they all have between 90 and 200 IBUs. Before I read that I thought excessively hopped beer was a relatively recent phenomenon.

Btw, The one with 200 IBUs was the original Russian Imperial stout, with 21.5 ounces of Goldings hops per 5 gallon batch. The author said this about it: "Full of alcohol and hops, not to survive the journey but because the Russian court liked it that way."

That's not 2 1/2oz that's 2 half ounce "Packets" totaling 1 oz. The "2" is the quantity and the "1/2" is the size.

Wouldn't the Lucky Charms add next to no flavor to it?

Lucky charms has a few oats, but otherwise mostly sugar and corn syrup (http://services.housing.berkeley.edu/foodpro/dining/static/label.asp?locationNum=50&locationName=A-Z+Menu+Item+Listing&RecNumAndPort=032018*1). So I imagine the lucky charms adds mostly ABV.

The recipe looks good, but my sense is the Lucky Charms is mostly a conversation piece. 

Thoughts?

Wouldn't the Lucky Charms add next to no flavor to it?

Lucky charms has a few oats, but otherwise mostly sugar and corn syrup (http://services.housing.berkeley.edu/foodpro/dining/static/label.asp?locationNum=50&locationName=A-Z+Menu+Item+Listing&RecNumAndPort=032018*1). So I imagine the lucky charms adds mostly ABV.

The recipe looks good, but my sense is the Lucky Charms is mostly a conversation piece. 

Thoughts?

The way it's added (after primary fermentation), the artificial flavors that are used should come through.  Its not different than adding flavor extract.