Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Huggie's Highlands Brewery

Yuengling Amber Lager Clone

The Oktoberfest Lager with Booster or regular corn sugar should do the trick (it's pretty heavy on the adjuncts). This will bring it up to roughly 4.7% (the real thing is 4.4%) and about 10 SRM (about the same as the original). It also uses Cluster and Cascade hops so you might want to add 1/4 oz of each to the batch. I'm thinking a 5 minute boil would do. And as Vakko pointed out, use 34/70 yeast and ferment cold.

The Oktoberfest Lager with Booster or regular corn sugar should do the trick (it's pretty heavy on the adjuncts). This will bring it up to roughly 4.7% (the real thing is 4.4%) and about 10 SRM (about the same as the original). It also uses Cluster and Cascade hops so you might want to add 1/4 oz of each to the batch. I'm thinking a 5 minute boil would do. And as Vakko pointed out, use 34/70 yeast and ferment cold.

So that would be:

mix booster/corn sugar into 5-6 cups of water

bring to boil

add hops and continue boil for 5 minutes

remove from heat and add HME

pour into LBK and bring volume to 8.5L

cool to target temp (55F recommended)

aerate; pitch yeast

ferment AT LEAST 3 weeks (I recommend 4 for lagers)

condition 3 weeks

Would S-23 yeast work for that?

Soft water?

I think the 34/70 is more appropriate for this beer as it's more crisp and less fruity than the S-23.

I'm not sure about Yuengling's water profile. That's something the brewery might be able to tell you.

They have brew facilities in Pottsville PA and Tampa FL.

Assuming they do not treat the water:

If brewed in PA, the water is pretty soft, Hardness is 16-26 mg/L,  Sodium 53mg/L, 0.9-1.5 grains /Gal (Ca and Mg)

If brewed in FL, 8-17 grains/Gal which is much harder then PA

Since they started in PA I am guessing they use soft water.

In order to make all their beer taste the same, Budweiser distills their water then changes the profile.

I bet Yuengling does this at one of their locations at least.  I would guess Florida.  So the PA (older) brewery is more likely to have the original water.

But like JoshR said, you would have to contact them to find out.  Maybe they use wheat field run off and the quality you really love is pesticide!

Thanks for posting this. Going on the to do list. Yuengling is probably the only beer that I've enjoyed for more than two decades. I remember $3 pitchers in the 90s. Who knew it would take off so well...

Thanks for posting this. Going on the to do list. Yuengling is probably the only beer that I've enjoyed for more than two decades. I remember $3 pitchers in the 90s. Who knew it would take off so well...

It's one of my favorite East Coast beers. I wish I could get it on the West Coast. :(

FWIW, here's what I've rolled with prior on an AG recipe.  I liked it quite a bit, and it seemed clone-ish enough.  I've tried to do several pale lagers (finding recipes for Schlitz, Rolling Rock, and some non-cloned varieties)...  It's a fun challenge to make a good pale lager, and especially to clone one.  I mashed at 149 for 60 min, and followed my normal lager fermentation routine.  Josh's hop selection is spot-on, as is the rest of his advice, IMHO...

Yuengling

Standard American Lager

Type: All Grain

Date: 6/6/2015

Batch Size: 5.00 gal

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU

4 lbs 11.1 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.13 %

3 lbs 3.5 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 33.00 %

1 lbs 5.5 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 13.75 %

8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.12 %

0.61 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.2 IBU

0.61 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 6.3 IBU 

1 Pkgs Pilsner Lager (White Labs #WLP800) Yeast-Lager  

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG  

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.43 %  

Bitterness: 22.5 IBU  

Est Color: 7.0 SRM

I think I'm going to have to make a road trip to Pottsville, to try this one. They sponsor certain event nights for my hockey team (Flyers) and we can't get it in Canada, so I have to drive to the states if I want to taste it. Maybe a brewery tour and a Flyers game trip idea for next season? ;)