Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
brybry

Measuring dry ingredients

As I was preparing my wort for a slightly kicked up Aztec the other evening it hit me that I was measuring my sugar & DME using my household measuring cups. While this is fine for this beer since I'm not following a recipe, it occurred to me that in general I should be weighing my dry ingredients. True or False?

Others may disagree but weight is a more accurate measure than volume when it comes to dry measure - indeed, weight is more stable than volume even for liquid measure (a gallon of water at 99 C is rather different than at 0 C. Moreover, my gallon carboys hold more than gallon jugs of apple juice or water. and  what ensures a "cup" is a cup is a cup?

While it depends on what a particular recipe says to do, it is usually preferable to weigh the ingredients because it's more accurate than measuring. This will also give you better consistency if you prefer to repeat a certain recipe over and over again. While it may not be as important with our 2 gallon recipes to weigh out your ingredients, once you start experimenting with your own recipes, you might find that it's just easier to do everything by weight, especially if you're using brewing software.

I agree, but I figure my measuring cups will be OK for now since I have no brew results to compare with and I use the same cups every time so I am consistent if I remember what I do :-).  Cookbooks have rough dry measure to weight equivalents and I use those. . But my brew may not be quite the same as a posted one I copy I suppose.

As I have said before I am a lazy brewer. Sorry, I am not a purist in this. I am sure you folks will have better beer, but I am happy with what I make.

I just want to let other folks who are similarly inclined they are not alone :-).

I agree, but I figure my measuring cups will be OK for now since I have no brew results to compare with and I use the same cups every time so I am consistent if I remember what I do :-).  Cookbooks have rough dry measure to weight equivalents and I use those. . But my brew may not be quite the same as a posted one I copy I suppose.

As I have said before I am a lazy brewer. Sorry, I am not a purist in this. I am sure you folks will have better beer, but I am happy with what I make.

I just want to let other folks who are similarly inclined they are not alone :-).

Good point about consistency.

Regardless of how you want to follow the directions.

I use a cooking sense while brewing sometimes but have notes from past batches to reflect upon before cook time.

There is no law in here that says we cannot learn from mistakes.

none perfect so,

Lets make Beer!!

Josh's sig pic looks like the artwork on a "Magic The Gathering" card.

Are you referring to my avatar? That's "Mangix the Brewmaster" from the video game, "DOTA" (Defense of the Ancients). While I consider myself a gamer, I'm not really into MOBA (multi-player online battle arena) style games like DOTA or League of Legends (I'm a FPS guy), but I really like the lore behind this character.

"Deep in the Wailing Mountains, in a valley beneath the Ruined City, the ancient Order of the Oyo has for centuries practiced its rites of holy reverie, communing with the spirit realm in grand festivals of drink. Born to a mother’s flesh by a Celestial father, the youth known as Mangix was the first to grow up with the talents of both lineages. He trained with the greatest aesthetes of the Order, eventually earning, through diligent drunkenness, the right to challenge for the title of Brewmaster—that appellation most honored among the contemplative malt-brewing sect. As much drinking competition as mortal combat, Mangix for nine days drank and fought the elder master. For nine nights they stumbled and whirled, chugged and struck, until at last the elder warrior collapsed into a drunken stupor, and a new Brewmaster was named. Now the new, young Brewmaster calls upon the strength of his Oyo forebears to speed his staff. When using magic, it is to his spirit ancestors that he turns. Like all Brewmasters before him, he was sent out from his people with a single mission. He wanders the land, striving toward enlightenment through drink, searching for the answer to the ancient spiritual schism—hoping to think the single thought that will unite the spirit and physical planes again."

Yes, I am a nerd. :P