Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
craftbeersyndrome

Horse's Ass Ale

I see that Horse's Ass Ale is only around 4.3% ABV.  With the current BOGO sale, would it be feasible/drinkable to make Horse's Double-Ass Ale by using 2 HMEs instead of 1?

I brewed this one before I learned about temp control. It got warm during fermentation and took a while to clean up the off taste, somewhere around the last bottle. Even with the off flavor it was a tasty brew. I was planning to pick up a couple more during the current sale.

I see that Horse's Ass Ale is only around 4.3% ABV.  With the current BOGO sale, would it be feasible/drinkable to make Horse's Double-Ass Ale by using 2 HMEs instead of 1?

There is no reason that you can't use 2 HME's on this recipe. Just be certain to monitor fermentation temps within the first 3 days as there would be double the extract in that batch. It would probably make a very tasty batch of beer, slightly more potent, yet tasty.

There is no reason that you can't use 2 HME's on this recipe. Just be certain to monitor fermentation temps within the first 3 days as there would be double the extract in that batch. It would probably make a very tasty batch of beer, slightly more potent, yet tasty.

Hmm, that's a good idea, Thanks for posting. I wonder sometimes reading the recipes if it was possible to do that, and then I see where the recipes calls for two HME's among other things.

I brewed this recipe with a Pale LME added to it, turned out very nice! I've also substituted Canadian Blonde HME for the CAL and it is one of my favorite brews so far. The Canadian Blonde version just a little more flavor and came out a little darker in colour.

Horse's Ass/ All American Gold hybrid?

Hi. I'm new to the forum. Not exactly new to brewing, but it's been such a long time that I don't pretend to remember much. I got the Mr. Beer to ease back into it and not freak out my wife by gearing up too much and taking over the house. I like the idea of the smaller batches and the smaller overall footprint will make it easier. 

So the reason I posted in this thread: I'm wondering about a Horse's Ass/ All American Gold combo. The single CAL that comes with the kit would guarantee simplicity (and probably an okay beer on it's own) but I don't want to bother making a good version of Coors Light, even for my first batch. I like the Horse's Ass idea, but I'd like a little more malt profile. I like the look of the All American, but the honey seem like a such a great addition.  I'm not a fan of over-hopped, but a little higher IBU than these both have wouldn't hurt my feelings . ABV isn't crucial, but a lot of the Lagunitas brews I've been enjoying lately are 6+ ABV, so I wouldn't hate something with a little hair on it.

Here's what I'm thinking...please feel free to be blunt if I'm off track . 

1 CAL HME

8 oz Breiss Golden Pale DME (local brew store)

1 oz Cascade pellets (local brew store)

8 oz honey

Not certain of the hop boil, but maybe half at 15 -20 min and half at 7?

Not averse to getting fresh/better yeast locally.

Recipe calculator predicts a little under 5.5% ABV and IBU in the low 20's and a pale amber color. I think I can keep wort temp pretty steady and it seems like a simple enough recipe that it won't need too many extra weeks of conditioning to get right.

Any opinions appreciated!

Thanks

J A

1 hour ago, J A said:

Horse's Ass/ All American Gold hybrid?

Hi. I'm new to the forum. Not exactly new to brewing, but it's been such a long time that I don't pretend to remember much. I got the Mr. Beer to ease back into it and not freak out my wife by gearing up too much and taking over the house. I like the idea of the smaller batches and the smaller overall footprint will make it easier. 

So the reason I posted in this thread: I'm wondering about a Horse's Ass/ All American Gold combo. The single CAL that comes with the kit would guarantee simplicity (and probably an okay beer on it's own) but I don't want to bother making a good version of Coors Light, even for my first batch. I like the Horse's Ass idea, but I'd like a little more malt profile. I like the look of the All American, but the honey seem like a such a great addition.  I'm not a fan of over-hopped, but a little higher IBU than these both have wouldn't hurt my feelings . ABV isn't crucial, but a lot of the Lagunitas brews I've been enjoying lately are 6+ ABV, so I wouldn't hate something with a little hair on it.

Here's what I'm thinking...please feel free to be blunt if I'm off track . 

1 CAL HME

8 oz Breiss Golden Pale DME (local brew store)

1 oz Cascade pellets (local brew store)

8 oz honey

Not certain of the hop boil, but maybe half at 15 -20 min and half at 7?

Not averse to getting fresh/better yeast locally.

Recipe calculator predicts a little under 5.5% ABV and IBU in the low 20's and a pale amber color. I think I can keep wort temp pretty steady and it seems like a simple enough recipe that it won't need too many extra weeks of conditioning to get right.

Any opinions appreciated!

Thanks

J A

Looks good to me! :D

Welcome to the community, by the way!

Thanks, Josh. 

The forum seems like a pretty great resource! I'm sure it'll really flatten out the learning curve as I get back into brewing.

I haven't even got a wort going yet and I'm already thinking about a second LBK... Too many beers to try and it just seems crazy to have to wait a whole 3 weeks to clear the fermenter and start another batch. :)

Couldn't help obsessing a little and it paid off...I was out on an errand and decided to stop by Target to check for kits in the clearance...Jackpot! There was a pile of them at a ridiculous price. 

So...now I have 3 LBK's and enough ingredients for a really good run of comparison batches.

1- CAL Deluxe (with Golden Pale DME instead of LME)

2- Horse's Ass Ale

3- All American Ass (the recipe I mentioned above)

I'll try to start them in reasonably quick succession so I won't run out of the first one before they all have time to condition and I can line them up together. I'll have a hard time mustering the patience for proper conditioning. :)

On 7/3/2015 at 10:53 PM, sdrake said:

I have brewed this once per recipe and it got a gold star in my log so I liked it! 

My OG and FG came out a little different for whatever reason, maybe the honey, I had 1.054/1.010/5.9% per rooftop brewer ABV calculator

I am going to try a different hops next time. I have made the American Gold with Willamette and Hallertau, this one with Cascade, so I'm going with either Pallisade or Goldings next time I make the HA.

I am about to bottle my 1st horse’s ass batch. I went to my local HBS to get the hops. I had a can of CAL already. They also suggested to add 1/2 cup of corn sugar in addition to the cup of honey. So I did. Can’t wait to try it out. Cold crash starts today!

Ok I’ll see how this turns out and then brew it again just straight up. When I read the reviews for this recipe someone mentioned that they had added sugar to it and it was great. 

35 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

I've been brewing for almost 6 years now, and have NEVER added sugar to a batch.  NEVER.  You do used a special sugar for certain types of beer, but otherwise use LME or DME.

But some recipes call for a cup of white granulated sugar and these are Mr. Beer own recipes. Would you have substituted that?

1 hour ago, Timelordjason said:

But some recipes call for a cup of white granulated sugar and these are Mr. Beer own recipes. Would you have substituted that?

I've read a lot of the recipes, never seen one calling for white sugar.  Can you be a little specific, that sounds real weird unless you are talking about rootbeer or something like that.

25 minutes ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

I've read a lot of the recipes, never seen one calling for white sugar.  Can you be a little specific, that sounds real weird unless you are talking about rootbeer or something like that.

I know i saw it in the old old discontinued recipes but then again now that i think about it, it could have been a cider recipe or a cider hybrid.

Again, you may want to do some reading.  Sugar, is sugar, is sugar.  Well, not really, from a chemical composition standpoint.  But whether you use table sugar, or corn sugar isn't going to make a squat of a difference.  

Yes, there are some recipes out there that have you add sugar.  Not many here, if any.  If you buy a can of Cooper's extract, it will tell you to add 2.2 pounds of sugar.  Add LME instead, much better result.

Belgian beers often add Belgian candi sugar or syrup.