Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
craftbeersyndrome

Horse's Ass Ale

4 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Again, you may want to do some reading.  Sugar, is sugar, is sugar.  Well, not really, from a chemical composition standpoint.  But whether you use table sugar, or corn sugar isn't going to make a squat of a difference.  

Yes, there are some recipes out there that have you add sugar.  Not many here, if any.  If you buy a can of Cooper's extract, it will tell you to add 2.2 pounds of sugar.  Add LME instead, much better result.

Belgian beers often add Belgian candi sugar.  

EYE EYE CAPN
Noted and will be remembered. 
:D

OH, And by the way I have been reading this forum and other ones in the last 2 months probably more than a school child reads in 12 years . Just sayin

2 hours ago, Timelordjason said:

I know i saw it in the old old discontinued recipes but then again now that i think about it, it could have been a cider recipe or a cider hybrid.

Some of the darker recipes call for the addition of brown sugar.  But it's because it adds a touch of molasses flavor...and also alcohol.

On February 17, 2018 at 2:54 PM, Timelordjason said:

I know i saw it in the old old discontinued recipes but then again now that i think about it, it could have been a cider recipe or a cider hybrid.

Amberosia Tripel calls for one cup of granulated sugar.

On 2/17/2018 at 9:28 AM, RickBeer said:

That will simply thin out your beer.  The cup of honey raises ABV and makes the finish drier, and the corn sugar just did it more.  I always recommend making the recipe as stated before altering it so you know what it tastes like.  

Rick....the recipe did turn out good but to your point it was a bit dry. I guess I was expecting a little of the honey taste. If I wanted to do this one again with honey flavor would I steep with honey malt? Also if I wanted to boost abv would you use a booster or a LME pack? Thanks