Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brewtus

Why do "homebrewers" treat Mr. Beer users like pariah?

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, J A said:

 

The in-between process of LME/DME boil with hop additions controlled by the brewer is a good middle ground. Full boil (unhopped) extracts or steeped grain/late addition extract beers are easy to brew and will produce very high-quality beers. There's nothing like the control you can get with a decent process for mashing grain to get wort, but one of the consistently most-liked and requested beers I've brewed yet is a simple all-extract recipe that fermented for less than two weeks and conditioned for 3 weeks (I still have a few bottles that are many more weeks old, but they're not substantially or fundamentally better than they were at 3 weeks). 

 

I think fresh HMEs can work well, but the extra conditioning time required for the flavors to even out is a drawback.

And I think that, in general, pitching adequate quantity of healthy yeast will avoid having to wait for acetaldehyde to condition out. With the right process, it's just not there to begin with.

I prefer using LME even over grains.  i dont know why but ive never had any off flavors and it tastes better sooner. Not sure why HME is susceptible to the green apple flavor more that LME. But whatever, HME is still a convienent product and the additional conditioning is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can honestly say I have never caught much static if any at all for using Mr Beer products.

 

I moved down South Illinois and I found a local home brew club and one of the members owned a LHBS. So at this meeting I introduced myself and asked them not to throw stones but I started out as a Mr Beer brewer and still use their products such as the LBK's and bottles and brewtensils. Come to find out, MrBeer is where most of these guys got their start! Nice!

 

As far as the LHBS guy goes, i shop at his shop often and even though I have since bought ale pails and all my AG brewing equipment, I still enjoy tossing a batch or two together in small quantity in the Mr Beer LBK's. I must admit, since the Coopers buy out, I no longer use the refills or ingredients unless they are bought as a gift for me. I just don't like them as much as I did the old mr beer refills.

 

Now that I have moved on, I will never knock Mr Beer users though and as a matter of fact, I just referred a few guys in the last week to purchase Mr Beer to get started. I love how easy it is to brew using the system. Hell if I can pull it off and make beer anyone can!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2016 at 9:12 PM, J A said:

 

The in-between process of LME/DME boil with hop additions controlled by the brewer is a good middle ground. Full boil (unhopped) extracts or steeped grain/late addition extract beers are easy to brew and will produce very high-quality beers. There's nothing like the control you can get with a decent process for mashing grain to get wort, but one of the consistently most-liked and requested beers I've brewed yet is a simple all-extract recipe that fermented for less than two weeks and conditioned for 3 weeks (I still have a few bottles that are many more weeks old, but they're not substantially or fundamentally better than they were at 3 weeks). 

 

I think fresh HMEs can work well, but the extra conditioning time required for the flavors to even out is a drawback.

And I think that, in general, pitching adequate quantity of healthy yeast will avoid having to wait for acetaldehyde to condition out. With the right process, it's just not there to begin with.

 

Hello Mr. JA!

 

Care to share this recipe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

Care to share this recipe?

It's a Quick  English Best Bitter. I'm actually having a glass of the later all-grain version with slightly different and stronger hops as I type. The all-grain version came out with lighter color and cleaner profile and less residual sugar, but very similar. 

 

Bring 1.25 gallons of water with 1.25 lbs light DME.

Boil 17 minutes with 1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.7 AA). That just gives the minimum IBU - boil longer if you're hops are less AA.

Add 1.5 lbs dark LME at flame out (or add and bring to a boil if you're using bulk LME).

Top up to 2.5 gallons (you'll have to make a mark on your LBK at 2.5).

I pitched 1/2 packet of Safale S-04 yeast  at 72 degrees. I wasn't too picky about temperature control during fermentation with the original batch. If you've got an ambient of 68 or 70, the S-04 will be pretty well-behaved, but you'd better be on  the look-out for an overflow since the LBK is a little fuller.

 

You can put this recipe together with Mr.Beer ingredients or buy bulk if you have access to an LBHS.

 

Since the ESB on sale includes the Nottingham yeast (same strain as the S-04, I think) I'd be tempted to dilute it further and get a smaller beer that would be virtually identical to the brew I'm describing. If you dilute the ESB to just over 3 gallons, maybe 3.125, the OG goes to just about the same place as my Quick Bitter. Being a lower-gravity beer, it ferments faster and conditions sooner. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many people have asked me how i do it. They all think its a difficult hobby and need tons of equipment and knowledge to do it. I explained to them that Mr.Beer is a very good way to get started and a few people are suposed to purchase a kit and start brewing. Some people you cant change there mind they think its tough, and thats just how it stays.

 

personally I feel Mr Beer kits are the same as any beer. Some like some dont. In overall they are good quality brews and should not be knocked at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, creamz13 said:

Many people have asked me how i do it. They all think its a difficult hobby and need tons of equipment and knowledge to do it. I explained to them that Mr.Beer is a very good way to get started and a few people are suposed to purchase a kit and start brewing. Some people you cant change there mind they think its tough, and thats just how it stays.

 

personally I feel Mr Beer kits are the same as any beer. Some like some dont. In overall they are good quality brews and should not be knocked at all.

 

I always tell them that if they can make Mac & Cheese from a box, then they can make beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

I always tell them that if they can make Mac & Cheese from a box, then they can make beer.

If you don't mind waiting seven weeks for that Mac and cheese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brew buddy and I trade 12ers of misc beers quite frequently. Not too long ago I gave him a few of my Grass Cutter Lager beers. A MRB partial mash recipe that i brewed as a true lager, complete with a DR and slowing crashing down to 35 and then lagered in the secondary for 6 weeks. Anywho, he texted me the other day and he brought that beer up again today when i was over there. He said its a delicious beer, really tasty. Then i said to him, thanks, you know thats a Mr Beer brew right? This is my buddy who has never and will never make an extract batch. He doesnt believe in it. The point is, you can make brewing as hard or as easy as you want. In the end, you will always get beer. Now, i do believe the brew day to drinking day on an all grain batch is a lot shorter but some of my best beers have been with ingredients from MRB. As I advance slowly further into the brewing world I have no excuse to do anything but all grain since ive spent a bit of money for the equipment but I will never look down at any extract brewer. That is all my friends.  Now drink a homebrew if you agree with me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are satisfied with the results it shouldn't matter. I haven't brewed yet but when I get my kit I will. I probably wouldn't have thought about it if it wasn't for an inexpensive way to start. I may decide to get more technical down the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×