Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Brewtus

Why do "homebrewers" treat Mr. Beer users like pariah?

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, J A said:

 

The in-between process of LME/DME boil with hop additions controlled by the brewer is a good middle ground. Full boil (unhopped) extracts or steeped grain/late addition extract beers are easy to brew and will produce very high-quality beers. There's nothing like the control you can get with a decent process for mashing grain to get wort, but one of the consistently most-liked and requested beers I've brewed yet is a simple all-extract recipe that fermented for less than two weeks and conditioned for 3 weeks (I still have a few bottles that are many more weeks old, but they're not substantially or fundamentally better than they were at 3 weeks). 

 

I think fresh HMEs can work well, but the extra conditioning time required for the flavors to even out is a drawback.

And I think that, in general, pitching adequate quantity of healthy yeast will avoid having to wait for acetaldehyde to condition out. With the right process, it's just not there to begin with.

I prefer using LME even over grains.  i dont know why but ive never had any off flavors and it tastes better sooner. Not sure why HME is susceptible to the green apple flavor more that LME. But whatever, HME is still a convienent product and the additional conditioning is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can honestly say I have never caught much static if any at all for using Mr Beer products.

 

I moved down South Illinois and I found a local home brew club and one of the members owned a LHBS. So at this meeting I introduced myself and asked them not to throw stones but I started out as a Mr Beer brewer and still use their products such as the LBK's and bottles and brewtensils. Come to find out, MrBeer is where most of these guys got their start! Nice!

 

As far as the LHBS guy goes, i shop at his shop often and even though I have since bought ale pails and all my AG brewing equipment, I still enjoy tossing a batch or two together in small quantity in the Mr Beer LBK's. I must admit, since the Coopers buy out, I no longer use the refills or ingredients unless they are bought as a gift for me. I just don't like them as much as I did the old mr beer refills.

 

Now that I have moved on, I will never knock Mr Beer users though and as a matter of fact, I just referred a few guys in the last week to purchase Mr Beer to get started. I love how easy it is to brew using the system. Hell if I can pull it off and make beer anyone can!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2016 at 9:12 PM, J A said:

 

The in-between process of LME/DME boil with hop additions controlled by the brewer is a good middle ground. Full boil (unhopped) extracts or steeped grain/late addition extract beers are easy to brew and will produce very high-quality beers. There's nothing like the control you can get with a decent process for mashing grain to get wort, but one of the consistently most-liked and requested beers I've brewed yet is a simple all-extract recipe that fermented for less than two weeks and conditioned for 3 weeks (I still have a few bottles that are many more weeks old, but they're not substantially or fundamentally better than they were at 3 weeks). 

 

I think fresh HMEs can work well, but the extra conditioning time required for the flavors to even out is a drawback.

And I think that, in general, pitching adequate quantity of healthy yeast will avoid having to wait for acetaldehyde to condition out. With the right process, it's just not there to begin with.

 

Hello Mr. JA!

 

Care to share this recipe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

Care to share this recipe?

It's a Quick  English Best Bitter. I'm actually having a glass of the later all-grain version with slightly different and stronger hops as I type. The all-grain version came out with lighter color and cleaner profile and less residual sugar, but very similar. 

 

Bring 1.25 gallons of water with 1.25 lbs light DME.

Boil 17 minutes with 1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.7 AA). That just gives the minimum IBU - boil longer if you're hops are less AA.

Add 1.5 lbs dark LME at flame out (or add and bring to a boil if you're using bulk LME).

Top up to 2.5 gallons (you'll have to make a mark on your LBK at 2.5).

I pitched 1/2 packet of Safale S-04 yeast  at 72 degrees. I wasn't too picky about temperature control during fermentation with the original batch. If you've got an ambient of 68 or 70, the S-04 will be pretty well-behaved, but you'd better be on  the look-out for an overflow since the LBK is a little fuller.

 

You can put this recipe together with Mr.Beer ingredients or buy bulk if you have access to an LBHS.

 

Since the ESB on sale includes the Nottingham yeast (same strain as the S-04, I think) I'd be tempted to dilute it further and get a smaller beer that would be virtually identical to the brew I'm describing. If you dilute the ESB to just over 3 gallons, maybe 3.125, the OG goes to just about the same place as my Quick Bitter. Being a lower-gravity beer, it ferments faster and conditions sooner. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many people have asked me how i do it. They all think its a difficult hobby and need tons of equipment and knowledge to do it. I explained to them that Mr.Beer is a very good way to get started and a few people are suposed to purchase a kit and start brewing. Some people you cant change there mind they think its tough, and thats just how it stays.

 

personally I feel Mr Beer kits are the same as any beer. Some like some dont. In overall they are good quality brews and should not be knocked at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, creamz13 said:

Many people have asked me how i do it. They all think its a difficult hobby and need tons of equipment and knowledge to do it. I explained to them that Mr.Beer is a very good way to get started and a few people are suposed to purchase a kit and start brewing. Some people you cant change there mind they think its tough, and thats just how it stays.

 

personally I feel Mr Beer kits are the same as any beer. Some like some dont. In overall they are good quality brews and should not be knocked at all.

 

I always tell them that if they can make Mac & Cheese from a box, then they can make beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

I always tell them that if they can make Mac & Cheese from a box, then they can make beer.

If you don't mind waiting seven weeks for that Mac and cheese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brew buddy and I trade 12ers of misc beers quite frequently. Not too long ago I gave him a few of my Grass Cutter Lager beers. A MRB partial mash recipe that i brewed as a true lager, complete with a DR and slowing crashing down to 35 and then lagered in the secondary for 6 weeks. Anywho, he texted me the other day and he brought that beer up again today when i was over there. He said its a delicious beer, really tasty. Then i said to him, thanks, you know thats a Mr Beer brew right? This is my buddy who has never and will never make an extract batch. He doesnt believe in it. The point is, you can make brewing as hard or as easy as you want. In the end, you will always get beer. Now, i do believe the brew day to drinking day on an all grain batch is a lot shorter but some of my best beers have been with ingredients from MRB. As I advance slowly further into the brewing world I have no excuse to do anything but all grain since ive spent a bit of money for the equipment but I will never look down at any extract brewer. That is all my friends.  Now drink a homebrew if you agree with me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:35 PM, RickC1970 said:

If you are satisfied with the results it shouldn't matter. 

 

 

That statement right there is what homebrew is really about.  Who cares how you got to the beer you like - if you like it, everyone else can (insert your words of choice here).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

 

 

That statement right there is what homebrew is really about.  Who cares how you got to the beer you like - if you like it, everyone else can (insert your words of choice here).  

 

I couldn't agree more with that.  It's what I'm doing in this hobby - not to try and mimic everything that has already been done by better brewers than myself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, time for my 2 cents worth (cause I'm broke and I ain't got more).

 

Mr. Beer is how I started brewing.  Point blank, if you can make soup, you can brew their beer.  Don't like it, then you didn't do something right.  Brewing beer takes time and patience.  You have to learn the "art" of cleaning, sanitizing, waiting for fermentation, waiting for carbonation, waiting for conditioning.  Home brew isn't quick, but Mr. Beer's kits and recipes make it very easy to get started, and make nice tasting beers.  From here you can grow further, and from here you can help others start in the hobby.

 

Want a cheese burger, go to McDonalds, or grill it yourself.  Want a nice sit-down meal, go to a restaurant, or make it yourself.  Want a nice beer, go to the store and buy it, or brew it yourself.  "Yourself", means you can make something creatively, learn how to do it, and do better/different next time.  Or else, go to the gas station and buy some over-produced American lager, and drive through McDonalds for supper on the way home.

 

This is a great place to get started, and learn the art of the science.....or the science of the art.  If an all-grain home brewer snuff their nose at you, fine.  Your are having fun brewing, learning and sharing.  And if you want, you can expand.  I'm almost ready for all-grain, and about ready to start studying to be a ciceron.

 

All because of Mr. Beer...…….And Cooper's.  Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

ok, time for my 2 cents worth (cause I'm broke and I ain't got more).

All because of Mr. Beer...…….And Cooper's.  Cheers

 

If MRB hadn't made things so easy (to get started) I doubt I'd been starting myself.  I happen to live in a state where Craft Brewing should probably be made the State Industry.  Very blessed with a plethora of small, craft brewers in just about any town big enough to have a jail and a post office.  I owe MRB a lot and am in sync with you  on your sentiments.  Here, here....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not only does mr beer make it easy... they are kind enough to provide us a support group. in my entire life i have NEVER stuck with anything for very long. i get bored. i get lazy. i walk away. ive never had any lasting hobby... or anything that gives me a modicum of pleasure.. until i discovered brewing.. and cheap wine making... and mead.

 

where else can you experiment... get as complicated or simple as you want .. and drink your mistakes AND get buzzed while doing it?

 

i just checked.. ive been brewing since 2012! time flies. i have never had a hobby this long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, I'm on another forum occasionally and for sure there is a segment of AG guys that are all about my equipment is superior to yours type of thing.

Those guys are all about bigger and better, shinier more heavy duty bragging stuff. They pretty much dismiss small batch and extract brewers as not being "real brewers."

 

The funny thing is in the same forum there's a tremendously expanding segment of small extract brewers AND a significant group of traditional 3 vessel system guys that are overhauling their system to make it simpler by going to BIAB.

 

I think it's great that you can pick from so many levels to fit your preference, style, capacity, budget, whatever and still produce not only good beer but more importantly "your beer." Each batch you produce has your unique signature on it. That's what craftsmanship is all about, to me anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Cato said:

I'm on another forum occasionally and for sure there is a segment of AG guys that are all about my equipment is superior to yours type of thing.

Those guys are all about bigger and better, shinier more heavy duty bragging stuff. They pretty much dismiss small batch and extract brewers as not being "real brewers."

 

Most of those guys don't brew decent beer either.  They tend to deflect to their equipment because their product does not speak for itself.  In my experience in my brew club the guys more interested in equipment and who's is better don't bring beer to share and when they do it usually isn't that good.  Those of us who concentrate conversations on processes are the base that bring beers to share and surprise, it is usually good beer.

 

We also as a club support anybody that brews with Mr. Beer and try to help them through any issues.  It is how I started and even though a lot will not admit it, they started the same way too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

where else can you experiment... get as complicated or simple as you want .. and drink your mistakes AND get buzzed while doing it?

i just checked.. ive been brewing since 2012! time flies. i have never had a hobby this long.

 

If beer drinking is a 'hobby' then I've certainly been at that 'hobby' longer than any other!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

 

Most of those guys don't brew decent beer either.  They tend to deflect to their equipment because their product does not speak for itself.  In my experience in my brew club the guys more interested in equipment and who's is better don't bring beer to share and when they do it usually isn't that good.  Those of us who concentrate conversations on processes are the base that bring beers to share and surprise, it is usually good beer.

 

We also as a club support anybody that brews with Mr. Beer and try to help them through any issues.  It is how I started and even though a lot will not admit it, they started the same way too.

 

THIS^^^ 

 

This hobby is easy to get into.  Has a huge dropout rate.  And, because it's really hard to not make something that someone can drink, all too many brewers make beer that's crappy tasting.  Multiple reasons for this, chief among them many don't know what good beer is because they drink swill and like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing that I like about MR. Beer is that it doesn't take up much space. I don't have a lot of space to dedicate to equipment. It also looks like you can goe a little more advanced that just the recipe packs if you choose which I'll probably do later after I get the hang of the easier methods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Cato said:

Lol, I'm on another forum occasionally and for sure there is a segment of AG guys that are all about my equipment is superior to yours type of thing.

Those guys are all about bigger and better, shinier more heavy duty bragging stuff. They pretty much dismiss small batch and extract brewers as not being "real brewers."

 

 

 

 

i get emails from another forum that runs a contest to win a free stainless steel uber fermenter with dials and knobs and shiny bits and.... no thanks. why over-complicate brewing to that extent? do i really need to have the ability to drain the yeast out from the bottom with a lever? or am i just being lazy? yeast washing is as simple a process as it gets. do i really need something that requires gaskets and misc part replacements, and a masters degree in rocket science from MIT to figure out? lol. now if you ask me, THAT is NOT brewing.

 

the guy working on a stove with pots and pans and buckets....  and doing things manually... or who uses a panty hose filter as a hop sack... who makes due by improvising equipment.. this is the true homebrewer. screw all your fancy toys. there is also nothing wrong with extracts. all you are doing is using a prefab base to build your kit around. there's nothing wrong with ready mix malt. it's like a fine chef using a box of chicken stock then building a recipe up around it. whats wrong with that?

 

the aussies take this approach to extremes of work smarter not harder.  biab came about as a means of water and work conservation. no chill method for the same reasons. if you can get it done with less work and cost, where's the problem as long as the end product is still good? biab- toss in a bit more grain, mash in the full volume of water... dunk dunk..swish swish.. no sparge.. boom. bob's yer uncle.  boil, flame out. cover... walk away til the morning. no sitting there for a half hour wasting gallon upon gallon in a chiller to lower the temp to pitching temp.  myself, i like and dont mind working a little harder for my craft. i enjoy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×