Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sdrake

Poorly Packaged Shipment = Dented Cans

41 posts in this topic

Josh & Rick.  I've cooled off quite a bit since last night.  I'll use the dented cans.  I think I was more ticked off at the bad packaging than the actual dents.  Thanks for your responses.

The packing procedure needs to be improved.  The issue is that your packing procedure works when all the cans are the size of the standard HME's as the cardboard dividers are the same size as the cans and keep the cans from coming in contact with each other.  The issue with my order is that 6 of the 7 cans were longer than the standard HME with 1 being a monster can (the Australian Sparkling).  The same size cardboard dividers were used, 1 per each box.  These cardboard dividers only separate a portion of the larger HME cans from each other.  Half the Australian Sparkling HME wasn't being protected by the cardboard divider.  And probably 1/3rd of the other HMEs weren't being protected by the cardboard dividers.  And given the size difference (box sized for the larger Australian Sparkling HME) and the movement of the styrofoam peanuts, the cans moved quite a bit, turning diagonally and banging into each other quite a bit.  The HMEs are heavy and create a lot of momentum when they are dropped by the shipping company.

If you can keep the HME cans from coming into contact with each other, you've probably solved 90% of this packing issue.

MRB Josh R and MRB Rick like this

When I earned my MBA about 15 years ago, in one of the classes it was stated that good customer service is making it easy for customers to complain.  Customers get satisfaction by complaining.  And every complaint is good information to make the product better.  The company that makes it difficult to complain has little information about what their customers think of the product.

I agree.  The better phrased forum question may have been:  Has anyone had problems with dented cans in your Mr. Beer shipments?  If no one complains, they won't know there is a problem that needs to be addressed. 

My last shipment contained 2 Winter Dark extracts that had been "floated" in peanuts.  There was a small dent in one of the cans, but the depth is less than the thickness of my finger and it's not on a seam so I'm not going to worry about it.

I mixed up API IPA this morning (my 21st Mr. Beer batch) using the Diablo IPA dented can.  Please see the attached pictures of the can after it's been cleaned out and the label removed.

As you can see, the large dent was into the seam of the can, something you can't see with the label on the can.  It also required some extra effort to get the lid off the can with the can opener as the lip was a little deformed also.  Opening from the other end wasn't an option because that's where the lip is extra deep to hold the yeast packet.

I've instructed my wife that if I die in a few months from beer poisoning that I want the epitaph on my gravestone to read "Mr. Beer done him in."

All is good if Mr. Beer will review their packing procedures and improve the process so the HME cans are restricted from touching and aren't able to freely float in the foam popcorn.  When I opened up my large shipment that included 7 HME cans, I knew something wasn't good before I even pulled any product out of the box.  It was obvious within the first 5 seconds of pulling the box open that everything had done a lot of shifting.  HME cans are heavy and pack a lot of momentum when jostled.  Like I pointed out earlier, the cardboard dividers are only the height of a standard HME and do little to restrict the movement of the larger craft and seasonal type cans.  Fortunately, I have enough beer recipes to last me until Christmas.  That gives Mr. Beer time to examine and improve their packing process before I make my next order.  The one condition I have in continuing to be a Mr. Beer customer by ordering more recipes/refills is that the packing procedure is improved.

(Note the Keith'sBrew's post where he says he's received cans are dented from moving around in shipment.)

post-64607-0-82571000-1439653549_thumb.j

post-64607-0-42207600-1439653560_thumb.j

For a good example, getting a dented can is like getting a car with 20,000 miles already on it.

Actually, getting a dented can is like paying for a new car but getting a car with 20,000 miles already on it.

I mixed up API IPA this morning (my 21st Mr. Beer batch) using the Diablo IPA dented can.  Please see the attached pictures of the can after it's been cleaned out and the label removed.

As you can see, the large dent was into the seam of the can, something you can't see with the label on the can.  It also required some extra effort to get the lid off the can with the can opener as the lip was a little deformed also.  Opening from the other end wasn't an option because that's where the lip is extra deep to hold the yeast packet.

I've instructed my wife that if I die in a few months from beer poisoning that I want the epitaph on my gravestone to read "Mr. Beer done him in."

All is good if Mr. Beer will review their packing procedures and improve the process so the HME cans are restricted from touching and aren't able to freely float in the foam popcorn.  When I opened up my large shipment that included 7 HME cans, I knew something wasn't good before I even pulled any product out of the box.  It was obvious within the first 5 seconds of pulling the box open that everything had done a lot of shifting.  HME cans are heavy and pack a lot of momentum when jostled.  Like I pointed out earlier, the cardboard dividers are only the height of a standard HME and do little to restrict the movement of the larger craft and seasonal type cans.  Fortunately, I have enough beer recipes to last me until Christmas.  That gives Mr. Beer time to examine and improve their packing process before I make my next order.  The one condition I have in continuing to be a Mr. Beer customer by ordering more recipes/refills is that the packing procedure is improved.

(Note the Keith'sBrew's post where he says he's received cans are dented from moving around in shipment.)

Those are great shots.  One thing to remember though.  If that dent is on a seam.  Let us replace it.  I will have a talk with our CSR staff to make sure that they know this as well in our weekly meeting.  I am not sure if they are aware of the seam issue.

MRB Rick, one other thing I've noticed about the packing over the past year.  When an order has only standard refill HME cans (the shorter ones), the packing box is the same size as the HME cans and the size of the box (plus the cardboard dividers being the same size as the standard refill HME cans) creates no packing issues.  Everything is good.  When craft or seasonal HMEs are ordered with the taller cans, you then go with a larger box.  The larger box combined with the foam popcorn and short cardboard dividers is where the issue is caused.

Actually, getting a dented can is like paying for a new car but getting a car with 20,000 miles already on it.

Actually, getting a dented can is like getting a new car, but it doesn't have the show-room shine on it, instead it has a light haze of dust.

;)

Well, it is still happening.

I had one tall can and 3 short cans and short dividers in my latest shipment that arrived today - and 3 cans of 4 were dented.

Looked like peanuts were not all around and not at end I opened first and rather loose.

It looked like the cans could (and did) move around in there.

But nothing is leaking so far so I guess I will use them.

3 dented cans

Low dividers for tall can

NwMaltHead likes this

I got four cans yesterday, three of the seasonals and a can of stout.  the Baltic looks like it took a shot and popped out the bottom... If the can was old, i'd be hesitant to use it, but it surprises me that it could do this.  I literally must have been dropped from four feet up, several times... 

post-65881-0-01657800-1450189470_thumb.j

post-65881-0-61566200-1450189470_thumb.j

Yeah. Previously when there were tall cans or more than 4 small ones, the packers had inserted a square sheet of cardboard with 4 round can sized holes in it between the layers in the middle of the package between the upper and lower 4-can cardboard dividers. This kept the tall cans in stable position. I did not see this in my package this time. It might have helped. I just looked at the last shipment with the Imperial Red Ale and I noticed that has a ding in the side too. This has only been happening recently for me.   Maybe something changed in the packing/shipping process. 

On 12/15/2015 at 10:13 AM, MRB Josh R said:

Thanks for the images and input, guys. I will forward this to our warehouse managers so they can deal with the issue.

Just wanted to report that the packing situation has been pretty close to perfect lately.  The last couple of boxes had the cardboard dividers inside the box to protect the cans.  

Thanks for asking the folks up north to take care of us!

Now if they could just replace those styrofoam peanuts with REAL peanuts.  Seems to make sense for beer.....just saying!

Thanks Josh.

jsherman and RickBeer like this