Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sdrake

Poorly Packaged Shipment = Dented Cans

I received my $150 order today in the mail which included 7 HME cans.  2 of the HME cans (Australian Sparkling & Diablo IPA) are heavily dented because the packaging wasn't done very well and the cans were able to float around inside the box with all the styrofoam.

These are dents that go into the cans the width of one of my fingers.

Two Questions...

1. Since Mr. Beer ships out lots of HME cans, how come they can't find a better way to package them so they aren't lose in the box banging up against each other?
2. Are the contents of these cans still safe to use?  I've always been told not to eat food out of heavily dented cans.

post-64607-0-32686000-1439513726_thumb.j

post-64607-0-86634300-1439513740_thumb.j

One other comment about this order.  Online the order shows all the ingredients sorted per each recipe.  But the packing slip just shows the totals of all the ingredients with no mention of the recipes I purchased.  Plus, it seems that the instructions for each recipe are no longer being included in orders.  It would be nice when an order is shipped to include a copy of the order with the ingredients sored by recipe, like just the printout of the online order.  It's a very small hassle to have to come back online to print out my order to remember what recipes I actually ordered so I can sort the ingredients and print out the instructions.  (Sorry if I seem to be complaining, but packaging needs to be better to avoid dented cans.)

i have never complained about the packaging from Mr. Beer, but, so help me, if I ever find the guy (or gal) that puts all those goddamn packaging peanuts in my shipments......  maybe i'm letting my dislike of packaging peanuts affect my rational judgement.  

I seriously though, would take dented cans over having to deal with styrofoam, in any form....  

PACKING PAPER!!!!  I can compost it!  and it is so much easier to deal with!  

sorry about your dented cans though sdrake.  Although I don't mind the lack of recipes, i've taken to copying the info from the website to my OneNote file, so I have all the instructions there.... which is fine for me with saving the paper....  

I understand about the packing peanuts because the static electricity makes them stick everywhere.

But the problem with those packing peanuts is that they shift around as the weight of the HMEs shift around.  There are some cardboard squares that are intended to hold the HME cans apart, but with the packing peanuts moving around, the cans start shifting up and down like pistons in their cardboard squares.  Not all the HMEs are the same height and eventually they break down the cardboard squares separating them such that the different sized HME cans start moving around against each other with the lips of one hitting the side of the next.

It's not rocket science.  To package the cans, there needs to be some bubble-wrap around each of the cans or plastic wrap that can force each can into a stationary position.  The current packaging method has nothing to keep the cans from shifting around and finding each other.

I guess I don't understand using a forum to complain about how your package arrived. You know how to contact Customer Service directly. We on the forum can do nothing.

As Josh has posted previously, dented cans are fine to use.

As far as sorting/grouping ingredients by recipe, Josh has also explained previously how difficult that would be.

As far as sorting/grouping ingredients by recipe, Josh has also explained previously how difficult that would be.

Including the packaging list printed out by recipe or including each recipe's instructions (as they used to do) would suffice.  I haven't suggest grouping the actual ingredients by recipe.

Right, only orders that ship for free arrive dented, as Mr. Beer uses less packaging... . Really?

Bigger orders require more cans be stuffed together in the box, which should mean more care is needed when packing.

I guess I don't understand using a forum to complain about how your package arrived. You know how to contact Customer Service directly. We on the forum can do nothing.

As Josh has posted previously, dented cans are fine to use.

yeah crazy huh?  wait... what's to understand?  

This is a forum directly run by the providing company, and covers anything from recipes to directions to dissatisfaction about product or arrival of product.  I see no problem with voicing an opinion, even in a public forum.  He's not asking for a refund or something for free, just maybe some consideration on how MrB handles shipments in the future.  

As a company, MrB should welcome feedback from whatever source they can.  A public forum is as good as emailing, and if done respectfully, in the end generally ends positive for everyone!

yeah crazy huh?  wait... what's to understand?  

This is a forum directly run by the providing company, and covers anything from recipes to directions to dissatisfaction about product or arrival of product.  I see no problem with voicing an opinion, even in a public forum.  He's not asking for a refund or something for free, just maybe some consideration on how MrB handles shipments in the future.  

As a company, MrB should welcome feedback from whatever source they can.  A public forum is as good as emailing, and if done respectfully, in the end generally ends positive for everyone!

And I've also learned on multiple occasions (Travelocity, ADT, Expedia) that the quickest and most sure way to receive a response is to never call their 1-800 number and to post on their Facebook page.  This forum is a great courtesy, especially with Josh and other Mr. Beer people participating in it, and better than Facebook any day for customer service.

I don't expect Mr. Beer to replace the dented cans even though the dents are as deep and as long as one of my fingers.  I expect that they'll tell me that they're good and to use them.

I've been reading online about dented cans and these 2 cans are dented enough that the USDA says they should be discarded.  I know the cans were dented within the past few days from shipping as I do trust that Mr. Beer isn't putting dented cans in the boxes.  And the disorganized state of the innards of the boxes shows they moved around in shipment and such.  The dents do have sharp edges on the side and I am concerned the integrity of the cans have been compromised.  I'll probably toss these 2 cans and just eat the cost of these 2 recipes.

If Mr. Beer wants, I can ship the cans back at Mr. Beer's cost if they take returns.  I've been a happy Mr. Beer customer in the past.  I just got a lot of crappy packaging this time.

What I hope for with this public complaint is to get Mr. Beer to actually learn that their packaging sucks and they need to improve it.  If I send an email, I just don't trust much ever happens.  But in the public, people read and discuss and the issue gets more notice.  And yes, this forum does exist for all kinds of customer support and interaction.  So I'm certainly not off topic.

CANS SHOULD BE PACKAGED SO THEY CAN'T MOVE DURING SHIPMENT!!!

I'm glad I wasn't ordering something from Mr. Nitroglycerin as something definitely would have exploded.

Anyway, as long as I've ordered stuff from Mr. Beer, there's usually been issues with every order.  Usually it's been product that has a month or two until the "best use" date.  This order the "best use" dates give me plenty of time, but I have dents and poor packaging instead.

Anyway, all I ask is that Mr. Beer improve their packaging.

When I earned my MBA about 15 years ago, in one of the classes it was stated that good customer service is making it easy for customers to complain.  Customers get satisfaction by complaining.  And every complaint is good information to make the product better.  The company that makes it difficult to complain has little information about what their customers think of the product.

Please don't throw the dented cans away. They are perfectly good  and people here will use them.

My point is that I don't want to go through 3 weeks in the LBK, the 1-3 months conditioning to only find the innards weren't good.  When I buy a product, I expect to receive an uncompromised product.  When you buy a new car, do you expect there to be a dent on the side and the dealer telling you that it still runs fine because it doesn't impact the engine? 

Unfortunately, those cans are not dented enough to warrant a replacement. And yes, I will say they are safe to use. But you should use them first and not let them sit for an extended period of time. That's where the trouble lies with dented cans. Also, there is no harmful bacteria that can survive the temperature of the boiled water or the alcohol produced in the fermentation process. There are bacteria that can survive these environments, but they are harmless. If the can was physically compromised and is leaking or if it's basically crushed, we will replace it. But I've used cans that were way worse than the ones in the images you provided and they came out fine.

As far as the recipe info not being shipped with the order, we are aware of the issue and are taking steps to fix it as we're now trying to package each recipe in their own small boxes, with instructions. It will cost us more to do this, but it's a necessary step to improve our packaging. And in regards to the way your package was shipped, I will be sure the warehouse is notified of the issue. They obviously need to pay more attention when packaging large orders. Unfortunately, the warehouse is all the way in Wisconsin so I can't just walk over there so I will let Rick Z know about the issue so he can pass it on to the warehouse. I would like to point out that this is not typical of our packaging.

But since you are in Arizona, sdrake, give me a call when you would like to place an order and I will see if we can ship it from our warehouse here. We can't do large orders like the one you had concerns about, but we can cover most orders. I will even package it myself if I have to. You might even get it a day or 2 earlier. Just call and ask for me and I will be sure you are taken care of. I will also give you 20% off your next order to try to at least make up for the damaged cans (phone order only). But that's the best I can do for you.

I can tell you that this is something that is looked at ALL THE TIME.  First things first.  Packing peanuts.  I hate them.  Packing paper. More dents.  Air pillows pop.

Back in the summer of 2012 when the new cans came out we knew that there were going to be problems.  The can circumference is much more than the old ones which meant that we were going to deal with a much higher likelihood of dent damage.  JoshR and others have put in the forum how those cans are most likely very safe.  To combat this larger can we developed a new packing box that puts all the individual cans into a grid system.  Most packages should be using this double wall grid system.  These should not have any peanuts in them.

As we ship many differing products, there are other times where peanuts may be used for stabilizing those loose items.  I can tell you that our packing peanut usage has dropped in half since January 2012 and that is with increased number of orders.  That cost benefit is offset by the cost of the new boxes being doubled.  

Another of your issues that we are looking at is putting all recipes into their own box.  In that box would be a recipe card.  This would help to solve a few issues that are coming up.  You all have mentioned wanting those cans and other things to be included all together AND by having their own box we can minimize can damage as well.  There are some significant warehouse changes going on to support this and you will see it in the future.  We see this as an opportunity to use some of our old boxes as well instead of just throwing them away.  So you will see some inside-out boxes.  We are trying to be as green as possible.

Lastly, LME packs.  These were introduced to see how well they stand up to abuse.  We are very pleased with the results so far.  These don't dent, they weigh less so shipping is less costly, they don't damage other items in your order and they are flexible to fit into boxes nicely.  The machinery for these are expensive plus there is a 40 year history of canned malt extract that we would combat.  Mr Beer has always been about bucking current trends and making our own.

All of this work is being done to minimize those shipping issues like dented cans.  Sdrake.  I am sorry that you received some dented cans.  I can tell you that it is not on purpose and that it left the warehouse clear of those dents.  JoshR gave you some great options so give us a call.  I do appreciate those of you that do use them when they arrive minimally dented as it saves us a lot of money that I don't have to pass on with higher prices later on.  

Any ideas that any of you have is always welcome.  Just PM me or post it in here.  We all have things to say.