Nickfixit

Mangrove Jack

17 posts in this topic

Hi, While looking for an interesting way to use my expired Winter Dark Ale (May 2015 - and yes, I have 2 more on sale - Oct /15 expiry  on order) I happened on Mangrove Jack yeasts in my LHBS. So I started a Winter Dark today using the Mangrove Jack Newcastle Dark Ale yeast and an extra 0.5 lb of dark DME.

Does that seem at all promising? Or am I wasting the yeast on wort with that much IBU? at 40, despite the extra malt, it may drown the flavors the yeast produces.

I also noticed they had 5 gal HME pouches. Anyone tried those? (Just curious, I have a LOT of MrB HME to use up.)

And RickBeer - yes  - I did purchase the small hydrometer  as I was a bit worried about how sweet my Golden Patriot was after 2 weeks - now in the future I can check. (This was like the collaboration Golden One but using CAL, Patriot Lager, 1/2 cup sugar, 8 oz Wheat Malt, 0.5 oz Galaxy,T-58, 1 tsp coriander crushed. It tasted pretty good  but fairly sweet  - and distinctly warming which leads me to think maybe it was done OK. Anyway it is in bottles and I will keep an eye on it. It had 3.5 weeks in the LBK with the first part at high temps to encourage esters and that Galaxy really make itself known when yeast was foaming..

Let us know how this turns out. Mangrove Jack is a newer yeast company who's products I'm not familiar with. I may have to order some of their yeasts and see how they perform. I'm pretty sure most of these are the same versions of other yeasts from other companies. I wouldn't doubt if the US West Coast strain was the "Chico strain" from Sierra Nevada, also known as Safale US-05, White Labs WLP001, and Wyeast 1056. But I am interested in their various UK yeasts and the cider yeast.

Bonsai & Brew likes this

My LHBS carries Mangrove Jack - I'm currently fermenting a Kolsch-like style ale using MJ M10 Workhorse that the owner recommended. First time using this yeast. I pitched at around 60 degrees and put it in the fermentation chamber with an ambient setting at 58. Krausen started about 24 hours in, and has been holding pretty steady since - currently at about 4 days fermenting.

I pitched my dark ale around 75 to get it started and it held that for a few hours and now is down to low 70s with foam up to lid after 8 hours.

Air temp around LBK is 65.

I also got their Bohemian Lager and Burton Union yeasts to try. 

I am going to try my  Boston Lager clone again with the Bohemian Lager yeast but would appreciate suggestions for which Mr B HMEs would be good with the Burton Union yeast ( English Ale?).

This Boston Lager attempt will be

ferment cold - Use Mangrove Jack Bohemian Lager yeast, Pilsner or Pale LME/DME, 0.5 Tettnanger and 0.5 Hersbrucker with 5 min boil, add Pilsner HME, and ferment  then 0.5 added  Hersbrucker after 7 days and sit for 3 weeks more.

Last time I used regular Hallertaur, (& no Tettnanger )  0.5 oz 5 min boil then 0.5 oz after 7 days for 3 weeks and Pale LME & S-23 yeast. It seemed like it needed just a touch more hop last time but I have to buy a real one and do a taste test again before brewing.

Any updates on experience with Mangrove Jack yeast? I've done two batches, and my experience has been less than stellar ...

First batch was a Kolsch-ish ale fermented with MJ Workhorse. Fermentation started quickly, and I had no noticeable issues during 3 weeks in the LBK. It had a surprisingly strong green apple taste at bottling, but I counted on that conditioning out. I'm now at over six weeks in the bottle, and the green apple is still strong and it's undercarbonated for the amount of priming sugar I added. Not at all sure this is a yeast issue, but it's one of my suspicions. I'm considering opening a room temperature bottle and adding a pinch of S-05 to see if it helps.

Second batch is an IPA brewed last Thursday, using MJ West Coast. I had no visible signs of fermentation for 48 hours - this one is in a 7.9 gallon Speidel with an airlock. Sunday morning through today I've seen some minimal airlock activity, but not enough to convince me the yeast has started to work vigorously. I've read that there can be some extended lag time with MJ West Coast, but I'm at the point where I'm considering pitching some S-05 on top to get things going.

In both cases I can't point to any deviations in my process / other ingredients / conditions that I suspect as culprits. Sanitization, brew process, pitching temps, fermentation temps have all been good. 

Appreciate advice / thoughts-

I happen to order 5 packets of Belgian ale yeast by mangrove jack recently, it was on sale so I couldn't resist. will be doing a kolsch soon but I purchased the wyeast kolsch yeast pack for that one, I used a wyeast octoberfest pack for my secondary fermentation, and I cannot wait to try it when its done!, so back to mangrove jack, i'll probably do a crazy recipe and throw in one of the Belgian ale yeast

to add I've had to add additional yeast twice to a yeast that wouldn't do a thing for 3 days! and the krausen took off, and the beer turned out great!, and that was my most successful batch, the chimay blue clone

I didn't check the dates on the yeast (shame on me). Both were used within a week of purchase from my LHBS, so I'd guess no. I'm going to check with them this evening.

Doing some further reading, some suggest that 1 sachet of MJ pitched dry / no starter doesn't contain enough cells for 5g batches. Not sure if that's true - the sachet label itself says to pitch directly into up to 6.5g of wort.

Did RickBeer really just say "Ignore what you read"? Is the earth still rotating west-to-east?

My LHBS was closed yesterday, and it turns out that's a good thing since I couldn't get more yeast to pitch. Woke up this morning to vigorous air lock activity - 1 pop per second - so I think we're finally underway. I'll be interested to see how the remainder of fermentation & conditioning go - this is a house IPA recipe with the only thing changed being the yeast, so I should get a good comparison to past versions.

Still, a 60 hour lag to the first signs of activity and ~100 lag to vigorous activity give me pause about using this yeast again.

RickBeer likes this

I just tasted a beer I made with Mangrove Jack Burton Union yeast. This was the tester ,only 2 weeks in bottle. 1st half of pour was clear but I clouded it with last half. Did not want to lose any. The yeast clumped at bottom of the glass well though.

This was  nice and light, balanced, fruity taste, with bitterness lingering on the finish. Here l was trying to Anglicize the American Ale. Very drinkable, I really wanted another glass . but it was only a 1/2 full 750 ml. tester bottle.

Goal, 40 IBU and ~ 5% ABV

American Ale  (36 IBU) with
Burton Union Yeast 1/2pkt (5g)
~8 oz pale DME (guessed half a 1 lb  bag)
1/4 cup (1.4 oz) Wheat DME (= MrB Golden)
1/2 cup ( 2.9 oz Sparklng Amber DME (= MrB Smooth)
0.5 oz 15 min boil Fuggles hop - adds 4 IBU
0.5oz EKG hop at flameout - adds aroma

Pale Ale 20160123_120655.jpg

Just ordered a 5-pack of Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat M20 yeast to try with my upcoming 'Weissenbier' recipes, including the Whispering Wheat partial mash.? 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 8:03 AM, HoppySmile! said:

ive got the Mangrove Jack version of T58 used it recently in a brew, well can't remember right off hand what brew it was, remember it sure was an active krausen!

Same with the M20 Bavarian Wheat -- it's been doing a really good job on my wiessbiers.

HoppySmile! likes this

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2015 at 2:17 PM, MRB Josh R said:

Let us know how this turns out. Mangrove Jack is a newer yeast company who's products I'm not familiar with. I may have to order some of their yeasts and see how they perform. I'm pretty sure most of these are the same versions of other yeasts from other companies. I wouldn't doubt if the US West Coast strain was the "Chico strain" from Sierra Nevada, also known as Safale US-05, White Labs WLP001, and Wyeast 1056. But I am interested in their various UK yeasts and the cider yeast.

I have made some nice beers with a variety of MJ yeasts, but avoid Mangrove Jack's "M03 UK Dark Ale" yeast aka "M15 Empire Ale" yeast.  I have had 3 batches now with horrible attenuation and/or off-flavors.  The fact that MJ has rebranded this yeast several times now should have been my first clue.<_< 

Creeps McLane likes this