76 posts in this topic

I've seen in other posts where RickBeer recommends 4 oz of carapils for body and head retention. After reading here and various other places on the web, it appears the carapils should be crushed. Is this always the case or can you steep whole-grain carapils with the same result? I think common sense tells me no they won't but I look forward to more information on steeping grains. Thanks for this post.

A great post and topic.  Looks like sometimes I've been mashing and sometimes I've been steeping from the definitions Josh provided.  I've followed some recipes where I was to hold 153 degrees for 30 mins and others where you bring the water to 165 shut off the heat add the grains and wait 30 mins.  I have not been paying much attention to water ratios though.

For steeping specialty grains, it isn't as important to hold the temp steady for the same amount of time. Your attempts have probably been about as good as one another, no matter how different they were.

:)

MRB Josh R likes this

There is also the Charlie Papazian "quick method" where you just put the steeping grain in a pot of tap water and bring it to boil when it boils you are done and remove the grains.  I would imagine this method would be more dependent on water volume.

There is also the Charlie Papazian "quick method" where you just put the steeping grain in a pot of tap water and bring it to boil when it boils you are done and remove the grains. I would imagine this method would be more dependent on water volume.

The only problem that I can see with that method is the possibility of releasing tannins from the husks. You can (will) release tannins any time the temp gets above 180f.

Good post, Josh.  For those that are visual learners, here's a great vid on doing a countertop partial mash with Mr. Beer...

EDIT:  here's their tasting of the beer made in the first vid...

MRB Josh R, MnMBeer and kraig927 like this

you say that special b and special roast malts dont need to be mashed. I dont doubt this as i recieved a special b malt in a recipe i baught that didnt require a mash. Why do they list these as "must mash" malts in the grain list link you posted. Is this a oversite on there part or they talking about a different malt?

I have used oatmeal (quick oats) and steeped  or boiled it. Seems not much difference in outcome.  I don't think there is a lot of tannin in oatmeal so maybe the quick shot up to the boil is easiest for those if that is all you are using.

It does seem one needs more water than 4 cups though. The Oats soak up a lot.

Thoughts?

I am planning on making the Porter again as before (with a smooth and a Robust LME) but adding some specialty grain.

I bought a mix of 2 oz Pale Chocolate and 2 oz Chocolate, because I like the idea of both flavors together.

The only question I have is how much to use, should I steep all 4 oz total for the Mr Beer one brew, or use 2 oz of it and save the other 2 oz for some other brew? (like maybe dark lager)

I also thought I would try an English Ale yeast.

Mangrove Jack M79 Burton Union

Lallemand Windsor

Safale S-04

And maybe a light dry hop addition -  maybe 0.5 oz Goldings or Northern Brewer?  But nothing aggressive or my family will not like it.

Suggestions?

Porters are not known for having a dry-hops addition, I believe.

As always, when trying something new, err on the side of caution. IDK exactly how strong those malts are, so I personally would go with 2 oz for now and see how it tastes. You can always get more & up the amounts for the next time you brew this beer if the 2 oz isn't enough. Of course, it's a porter, so if you used all 4 oz, I doubt anything terrible would happen, it just might be too chocolate-y (if there is such a thing).

I don't know anything about Mangrove Jack yeast, sorry. Windsor is good, but does not get terribly high attenuation nor flocculation. S-04 can be a beast, and it flocculates well.

Hope this helps!

Great information and a bit overwhelming for a new guy.  I'll try this someday in the not too distant future.  Will be watching for recipes and additional guidance....

Thanks!

Thanks, I know the porters are not generally dry hopped but I wanted a little but of something else. Maybe I will try the last one again (I put a bottle in the fridge) and see if it really needs it.

I will use 2 oz then.

Yeasts - I do have a pack of  each of them..

So Mangrove Jack M79 says on it  - it is for Bitter.

For Porter they have a different yeast - M07. I can try that another time. 

Windsor seems to be favored over Nottingham for Malty brews. (Fruity full bodied Ale)

So Windsor seems good for malty but not heavy brews where you want to taste malt and yeast fruitiness.

S-04 seems good and very flocculent - always good if not using secondary. 

I think the S-04, then.

Thanks for help.

Update : the prior Porter with Smooth and Robust LMEs, 4 TBS Dextrin  and Mr B Ale yeast is nice but surprisingly dry in finish. Other porters attempts have been sweeter. But for balance it does have enough hop so do not need to add unless a specially hoppy brew is desired..

slym2none likes this

Update : the prior Porter with Smooth and Robust LMEs, 4 TBS Dextrin  and Mr B Ale yeast is nice but surprisingly dry in finish. Other porters attempts have been sweeter. But for balance it does have enough hop so do not need to add unless a specially hoppy brew is desired.

The dryness goes as it warms up and when really warm the coffee and choc flavors really come our. They get lost if it is cold.

I also think it was over carbonated, I had 1.5g in the 750 mL bottle. Especially since it will act more carbonated anyway when warmer.

Maybe only 2 lumps next time.

hey josh, my 10 gallon Rubbermaid arrived from home depot, which with tax, under 50 bucks, not bad, gonna order a mash tun& sparge conversion kit then i'm ready for the ten gallon challen ge ge ge

MRB Josh R likes this