Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
syncman

Winter Dark Ale

25 posts in this topic

What flavor/adjunct can I add to get something different. from the Winter ale? Alcohol content is not important to me, flavor is. Also, mixing 2 cans HME together seems a waste!

Different.  As in ______?

Yes, you would not want to mix 2 cans of Winter Dark.

While modification of lighter HMEs to something different is easily done, it's more difficult to dramatically change a darker one.  Winter Dark is very, very good IMHO.  Has an SRM (color) of 30 and an IBU (bitterness) of 60.  You can add pale LME to lighten it some and lower the bitterness some, but it won't have a huge effect.  

You know what "TMI" stands for, right?  (Too Much Information.)  Well, here we have "NEI".  (Not Enough Information.)

You can add just about anything you want to and you'll come up with something different from the Winter Ale.

What is it you're looking for?

What flavor/adjunct can I add to get something different. from the Winter ale? Alcohol content is not important to me, flavor is. Also, mixing 2 cans HME together seems a waste!

I just bottled my batch of Winter Dark earlier this week. I made a winter dark coffee ale by cold brewing coffee 24 hours prior to bottling and adding the coffee to the beer in the bottling bucket along with the priming sugar (known as batch priming) until I got the desired flavor profile I was shooting for. Then I bottled. Easy peasy! ;)

Thanks, sabre!

:)

I'd say, coffee is an easy addition to this beer. I would think orange would probably go well, too. I bet raspberries would be good. 

Chocolate from cacao nibs? Why not?

Vanilla & something to make it "creamy" might work as well.

Heck, maybe cacao nibs, a vanilla bean, and some fiery chiles!

Of course, just some hops thrown in at flameout might be all you need... but yes, syncman, please check out my "Tinkering with the WDA" thread in the basic recipe forum to see what I and others have already done.

MRB Josh R and sabres032 like this

Please let me know how you like your bourbon & oak flavours, and how much you used, please. I am planning something similar with some cacao nibs & a vanilla bean.

:)

HoppySmile! likes this

sure thing, the left over bourbon soaked chips have been in a jar sittin on the brewers shelf for about 5 months now, I used it in my bourbon oak vanilla cherry porter, and over added the oak chips so all I cud enjoy was saturated bourbon oak flavor. this time I just added maybe 5 to 6 pieces lol, i'm hoping it was just a small bit to flavor

Depending on how much you want to diddle with the recipe you can add two light LME soft packs or a pound of light DME, ferment with SA-04 yeast and the beer will come out closer to a British Ale.  Great crisp flavor, but not as dark and hoppy.  Or you can go in the other direction and add a pound of amber DME and some molasses and get something closer to a Porter.  

I tasted a sample of the WDA last weekend with the bourbon oak addition, and uuuh it was different, I was hoping for a more lighter taste to the ale, but a bit much stronger than I wanted to have, still not as over powering as my porter was. i'll do a test bottle in about a cple of weeks. I think with a little more time maybe a month, I bet the flavors will smooth out much better

sabres032 likes this

I have one left and it is in my next batch of 3 based on using up my oldest HMEs first. I am thinking maybe some lactose and maybe a light dry hop of goldings.

So that will be

1. WDA (2/2016) - legacy 2014 Craft Ale - 1/8 cup lactose + 0.5 oz goldings at flameout.

2. BOH. CZECH PILSNER (9/2014) (well - it was cheap - online) I will make this into a Boston Lager Clone, with 30 min. steep of 4 oz Vienna and 2 oz Cara 60,  12 oz Pils light DME, 0.5 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrau  10 min  boil ,  add HME, 4 heaped dessertspoons Malto dextrin, Cool ferment  with 33/70 yeast add 1 oz  Hallertauer Mittelfrau 3 wk dh after krausen (total 4 weeks in LBK).  

3. Belgian Spiced Christmas Ale (8/2015)  legacy 2013 Seasonal. T-58 yeast and new mulling spice pack

After that all my HMEs are 2017-2019 best used by dates.

Shrike likes this

I just saw a batch of it on Amazon and thought that it looked interesting. Then came to Mr. Beer to get some more info on it and did not find it listed. It's being sold by a third party through Amazon. From what I see of this thread, must be old...so I probably should not buy it?

WDA was 'discontinued' last year, much to the dismay of many of us around here.  In defiance, I purchased one from StrangeBrew and it turned out to be well past its best-before date.  Retribution Dark Ale turned out pretty good though, so I felt it was worth it.?

WisconsinBadger likes this

9 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Still kick myself in the ass for not buying 20 of those suckers when they were going for $5!  

i bought around 10 or 11 of them, I think I still have 3 or 4 in stock, but its been awhile since I looked. and Now Finally My Roommate is out, I can return to finishing my supply/stock room and be able to visually inventory all I have. which, by the way is too much that i'll probably will just give away, bcuz i'll never brew it. like maybe I have at least 15 cans of American Lager??? LOL! 

Jdub and Bonsai & Brew like this

On 8/28/2017 at 8:34 AM, HoppySmile! said:

i bought around 10 or 11 of them, I think I still have 3 or 4 in stock, but its been awhile since I looked. and Now Finally My Roommate is out, I can return to finishing my supply/stock room and be able to visually inventory all I have. which, by the way is too much that i'll probably will just give away, bcuz i'll never brew it. like maybe I have at least 15 cans of American Lager??? LOL! 

Ill take anything free you are giving away LOL