MRB Josh R

NEW RECIPE - Witch's Flight!!

22 posts in this topic

This new recipe is basically a hoppy brown style ale. It's very similar to the Voodoo, but with Falconer's Flight hops and S-05 yeast to bring out the hop profile. It's an office favorite right now. :D

http://www.mrbeer.com/refills/witchs-flight-recipe?utm_source=HP&utm_medium=BTN&utm_campaign=witchsflightbanner

"Rules of Thumb" are suggesting a 6 week conditioning of this brew, but the recipe says 2-4 weeks. Anybody want to comment? I have a batch I was hoping to put into the fridge this weekend on a 3-4 program but now I am thinking I need to wait two more weeks? <_<

The Witch's Flight is a hop forward beer so it doesn't really need any conditioning beyond 2-4 weeks. Hops degrade over time, so the sooner you drink it, the more forward the hops will be. Like most IPAs and many wheat styles, this hoppy brown ale should be consumed within a few weeks.

slym2none, Bhob and HoppySmile! like this

Tossed one in the fridge and drank it last night, wow great beer! When I bottled it I was thinking it was very hoppy. I bottled on Dec 13th, so 3 weeks and a few days really smoothed it out.

HoppySmile! and MRB Josh R like this

56 minutes ago, Bhob said:

Tossed one in the fridge and drank it last night, wow great beer! When I bottled it I was thinking it was very hoppy. I bottled on Dec 13th, so 3 weeks and a few days really smoothed it out.

Yeah, it's currently one of my favorite recipes right now. Hoppy, but not bitter, with a nice malt backbone. So simple, yet so good. :)

HoppySmile! likes this

I do have a can of BAA on the way and will brew this one straight up the first time. I am excited about the recipe and it does make the short list for one to brew next!

MRB Josh R likes this

I know I said to consume this fresh, but I just cracked a keg the other day that was 2 months old and it was AMAZING! Yeah, the hop character mellowed a bit, but it also created a beautiful balance between the malt and hops. So if you want more of a hop-forward flavor, don't condition this for very long. But if you want a well-balanced beer, I recommend conditioning this for at least 4-8 weeks.

HoppySmile! likes this

I racked the honey wild wheat about 2 hrs ago into a secondary and tried a sample, yummmmy then I got curious again about the witches flight so I opened up the bog mouth carboy and got me sum! just unscrewing the lid, and the amazing chocolaty/hopsy aroma wanted me to chug the entire carboy!!!! I think right now it's time to bottle

MRB Josh R likes this

3 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

I know I said to consume this fresh, but I just cracked a keg the other day that was 2 months old and it was AMAZING! Yeah, the hop character mellowed a bit, but it also created a beautiful balance between the malt and hops. So if you want more of a hop-forward flavor, don't condition this for very long. But if you want a well-balanced beer, I recommend conditioning this for at least 4-8 weeks.

Too late :-)

MRB Josh R likes this

2nd time brewing this. Loved the nuances of this, part amber, part brown. The 2nd time I wanted to bring out the brown ale flavor pushing it towards a porter without going too dark. I added a 2nd LME, "smooth" along with the "golden" they supply and dry-hopped it with Fuggle hops near the end instead of the Falconers. This is the extent of my mad scientist-ing for now.

Conditioned 6 weeks after bottling. The fuggle brought a stouty dark fruit aroma to the thing, the body was a little deeper, maltier, color is darker and beautiful brown/amber, the wheat quality subdued. Hops popped on it, most drinkable "stout-lite".

Shrike likes this

This is currently one of my favorite brews.  I've got around 18 left from my batch and could probably toss them all in the fridge and kill them over the next few days.  Must...be...disciplined. :)

HoppySmile! and Bonsai & Brew like this

8 minutes ago, Shrike said:

This is currently one of my favorite brews.  I've got around 18 left from my batch and could probably toss them all in the fridge and kill them over the next few days.  Must...be...disciplined. :)

Can't believe that I haven't brewed this yet.  If I do a cooler brew this summer, maybe this will be the one.

HoppySmile! likes this

4 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Funny story: This beer was made by accident. It was one of @MRB Tim's 1st days here and I was tasked with showing him how to brew our MRB kits. I pretty much just grabbed the first ingredients I saw - a Bewitched, a Golden LME, and some Falconer's Flight Hops - and proceeded to show Tim how to make a basic Mr. Beer kit with hops. We ended up fermenting it and this is what came out. Still one of my favorite MRB recipes ever. One of our most popular, too.

That's one tasty, profitable accident for MRB!

I've done similar things throwing together a marinade for some meat.  We'll be eating dinner, my wife will say "This chicken is great, you can grill it again anytime!"  And I'm sitting there thinking "Damn, I need to remember what I tossed in there!"