Mr.Beer Community

I started a batch yesterday and forgot to check the OG so I this morning I though I'll just use Qbrew to see what it was. Here's the problem The extract I'm using is the 2013 Belgian Spiced Christmas Ale, but I don't see that in the list. An suggestions on what to use as an alternative? Also I know the instructions say enter them at 1.87 pounds for grains & 1 ounce for hops, but this is a 3.75 pound can?

12 hours ago, Bhob said:

How do you add dry hopping to the recipe?0 minutes isn't the same as 14 days later is it?

1) sanitize the hop sack and place it in the fermenter(no splashing), some say 14 days some say 4 probably like the rest of this...no right answer.

2) no, won't taste like dry hopping.  the idea is the same and flame out additions will "hang around" longer than dry hopping

Another question. I think I followed the instructions when entering the HME & LME as grains, but my numbers don't match what the Mr Beer website shows, am I doing something wrong in Qbrew?

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 7.58.46 AM.png

I'm scratching my head here.  At the top, you say you're using the 2013 Belgian Spiced Christmas ale.  Josh tells you to double the weight.  You didn't.  Then you compare it to the Porter listing?

If you're now brewing the Porter, following the directions you FIRST add the HME as Hops for 5 minutes, and then add the can and the packet of LME.  The packet is 0.55 lbs, not 0.5 lbs.  

When added properly, I got OG of 1.041, FG of 1.010, ABV of 4.0, IBU of 38, and SRM of 23.  You will not get the ABV of 4.7% on the Mr. Beer site - that's the old discussion that the base can yields 3.7% when it doesn't for many, and QBrew reflects that.  I cannot explain the difference in SRM or IBU, QBrew gets what it gets.  

12 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

I'm scratching my head here.  At the top, you say you're using the 2013 Belgian Spiced Christmas ale.  Josh tells you to double the weight.  You didn't.  Then you compare it to the Porter listing?

If you're now brewing the Porter, following the directions you FIRST add the HME as Hops for 5 minutes, and then add the can and the packet of LME.  The packet is 0.55 lbs, not 0.5 lbs.  

When added properly, I got OG of 1.041, FG of 1.010, ABV of 4.0, IBU of 38, and SRM of 23.  You will not get the ABV of 4.7% on the Mr. Beer site - that's the old discussion that the base can yields 3.7% when it doesn't for many, and QBrew reflects that.  I cannot explain the difference in SRM or IBU, QBrew gets what it gets.  

Sorry, this is a separate question only related to the first one because it's another question I had about Qbrew, I suppose I could/should have started another thread.

That said yes I see I added the LME incorrectly, thanks for pointing that out. And after looking back at my notes from when I last brewed the Robust Porter I got an OG of 1.041 and an ABV of 4.3%. I got the part about "FIRST add the HME as Hops for 5 minutes, and then . . .", so I at least did that correctly ;)

Not sure if I was aware of the old discussion about the actual vrs stated yield of the base can, but my results would support the idea that ones actual results aren't likely to match the numbers stated. I wasn't aware that QBrew was taking that into account, but no that I know I can certainly appreciate it.

And BTW I did follow what Josh, you and all the others said back in December. And the results are tasty

When using QBREW and including hops for boiling and bitterness, does this assume you are leaving them in the wort the whole fermentation time or taking them out after the boil? 

I can't imagine it would taste the same if you left them in another 3 weeks??

27 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

When using QBREW and including hops for boiling and bitterness, does this assume you are leaving them in the wort the whole fermentation time or taking them out after the boil? 

I can't imagine it would taste the same if you left them in another 3 weeks??

They assume they are taken out.

56 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

They assume they are taken out.

Thanks. That helps a lot.

I was working up an improved Boston Lager clone based on color and  IBU. I need a bit more maltiness, and color and bitterness so I figured I would up the Cara 60, and boil some Tettnanger to up the bitterness then do the 3 week dry hop (after high krausen) with Hallertauer Mittelfrau.  This is starting with the Pilsner HME which has a good hop taste but is light and lightly hopped.

SA is 30 IBU and 11 SRM, 5% ABV and they say they only use pale 2 row and Cara 60.

But not for a while.

Thanks, guys. I did not really ask that question well.

Ok so the official bitterness won't change. Understood.

I do have some difficulty in distinguishing/tasting difference between "boiled bitterness" and "taste bitterness" from hops.

To me it seems to taste more bitter even with hops added for "Taste" or "Aroma".

Maybe I am not calibrated - lol.

What will the impact be of leaving the boiled hops in through the fermentation?

Having boiled them for a while, will they still contribute usefully (or badly)  to taste or aroma?

Should I take them out before fermenting?

I have not conducted any experiments, but my understanding is that the hops provide their contribution during the boil.  What you're leaving in, if you leave them in, is material that contributes nothing (of course dry hopping is different, since the hops haven't been in the boil, so the flavor is still there).

I go commando with hops, i.e. I dump them into the boil au naturel (or said another way, "Terry Bradshaw style").  When I transfer my wort to the LBKs, I pour through a strainer that removes nearly all the hops.  The most recent time that I dry hopped I just dumped them into the LBK, commando (1/2 an oz).  I cold crashed, and found that there was little left in the wort, but I did see some.  It settles out in the bottle and the final product is fine.