KenEnnis

Having problem with leaking spigot

85 posts in this topic

Place washer on the spigot with the beveled (narrower) edge facing the threads, then insert spigot into keg. Place the nut with the wide flat side against the inside keg wall and gently hand tighten.  Fill the keg with water then let the keg sit for a few minutes to test for leaks. 

If it still leaks, remove and examine the hole.  Is it round or oval?  Is it flat or is there an edge to part of it? 

Christmas is tomorrow.... 

Marlymarl likes this

would it hurt to put another rubber washer on the outside of the plastic keg? it seems you are trying to seal plastic against plastic..

17 minutes ago, KenEnnis said:

would it hurt to put another rubber washer on the outside of the plastic keg? it seems you are trying to seal plastic against plastic..

The washer goes on the outside of the keg,  so you're sealing the washer against plastic. 

That is exactly the problem.  That's it the dumbest thing I ever heard did...

I can say that, because when I started brewing in 2012, that is EXACTLY what I did.  I thought I had the email exchange with the Mr. Beer Brewmaster saved, but couldn't find it (I'm sure it gave her a laugh).  It was one of those DUH moments for me when I went back and re-read the directions.  

Doing the leak test, with water, should be done on EVERY batch for this exact reason.  

This will NOT be the first mistake you make.  I've been brewing for 3 1/2 years and I make them all the time.  RDWHAHB.  

cowboykyle and scouterbill like this

Hello, I put my first kit all together waited to check for leaks and found none. I then proceeded to make my first batch and after a half hour on the counter the spigot started dripping from the top where it turns to shut off and on. is this normal or is there anything I can do?

No, that is not normal.  I would get a helper, and have them dry the area while you then put a piece of electrical tape over that seem and see if that stops it.

The spigot is 2 piece, and it's possible it's slightly apart, but no way to mess with it now.

When you do your next batch, make sure you put in a full 2 gallons of water and let it sit for 15 mins to check it.  I dry the spigot after filling, and then use a dry paper towel to look for leaks.

FYI - if in fact it keeps leaking - put it on a cookie sheet and stop worrying.  It may clog, it may not.  If it keeps dripping on Monday  Mr. Beer will help you figure out what's wrong and if you lose an LBK full of beer that usually replace it for free.

Bassman likes this

hey rick, the instructions say to put the washer inside the keg, maybe you need to address this issue with them, because when I finally read your post many months ago, I changed the washer position and never had any problems since

Thanks for the replies. tried the tape trick. it has slowed the dripping quite a bit but still leaking. hopefully it will clog and stop. funny it didn't leak when I filled it with

water to check for leaks. only started after approx. 30 mins from putting the top lid on. I did email support as well.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 11:39 AM, rlbeaman said:

Hello, I put my first kit all together waited to check for leaks and found none. I then proceeded to make my first batch and after a half hour on the counter the spigot started dripping from the top where it turns to shut off and on. is this normal or is there anything I can do?

That's where mine is leaking also.  A very small drip from both the to and bottom of the valve.  After about 24 hours, the paper towel I put under it in the cooler is completely saturated.

thanks to mr.beer. they are shipping out a new spigot yesterday. very fast response from them. the question I have still is how to replace it when its full of brew? is the leak going to destroy the brew that is brewing? it leaks pretty good I have it sitting in a roasting pan and have to remove about 1/4 inch of brew from the bottom of the pan daily. thinking I might have to order new starter brew after I get the replacement part and start over. any thoughts on how to save the brew already going?

Walt, open a support ticket with mr. brew. they will take care of it fast. I was impressed how fast they reply and try to help you out.

Rob

Did you not ask Mr. Beer these questions?

There is no way to change the spigot until the keg is empty.  Nothing is getting "destroyed" unless it all leaks out - and one would have thought Mr. Beer would have asked you that and if it was dripping that much shipped you a new refill...

I did once change the LBK when it was leaking. I poured all content out into another sterilized one.  But unless tightening will fix it (leaking around the washer), yes, you have to empty it.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:31 PM, HoppySmile! said:

hey rick, the instructions say to put the washer inside the keg, maybe you need to address this issue with them, because when I finally read your post many months ago, I changed the washer position and never had any problems since

I thought the same thing (washer on inside) but can't find instructions now that say that.

Maybe the old ones on paper said that a ling tie ago.

The DVD I have now says put spigot on outside of LBK with bevel facing LBK.  2014 Paper instructions (including LX fermenters) also say washer outside. Also 2012 online video says washer outside too and test for leaks. So not sure where that "inside" really comes from.

Tightening:

After tightening until the nut/washer engage the LBK (with spigot handle facing down) , I never need more than 1/2 turn to tighten it up enough and then it is right way up.

Improved Spigot:

If you are really unsatisfied with the spigot here is a suggestion, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=83421

Added seal:

I use an additional washer so I have one on either side of the LBK, one against nut and one against Spigot outside end. The O-ring style 5/8 in garden hose washers work for me.

walt_felix likes this

I also had a leaky spigot on my first batch, but turned out I was just over tightening it. When I went back and gently hand-tightened the spigot, it fixed the leak. I'm about a week into fermenting my first batch now and there hasn't been any noticeable drip. Just putting this here in case someone else with this problem stumbles on this thread. It might save them a mess.