Mr.Beer Community
KenEnnis

Having problem with leaking spigot

oh! I looked at the very first LBK, the one that came with the kit, and I put the seal on the inside, its still there, intact and sealed. however, I never take the spignot out I just thoroughly clean around it and flush it. however, after further examining the other 6 lbk's I have, they all have the seals on the outside. maybe, just maybe I might have been the only one to receive a misprint manual??? 

39 minutes ago, slym2none said:

I am not saying you will get one, but you are asking for an infection by not taking the spigot off the LBK.

eek.gif

I agree with Slym.  Why take a chance?  Unscrew it and clean it......

8 hours ago, slym2none said:

I am not saying you will get one, but you are asking for an infection by not taking the spigot off the LBK.

eek.gif

8 hours ago, K5WX said:

I agree with Slym.  Why take a chance?  Unscrew it and clean it......

They're right it just ain't worth loosing a batch to infection thru less than through cleaning and sanitizing 

but whats crazy is, ive never had any infection related to the lbk by not un screwing the spignot and cleaning, and when I say this, I by NO means recommend anyone else do this, i'm pretty good at sanitizing it in place, I really respect all of you folks that do what is recommended. honestly, i'm very thorough when it comes to cleaning b4 brewing.

Wow, when I first read the heard on this thread, I thought thing had just gotten into the TMI category l and didn't read it. I had no idea it was about the LBK hardware.

14 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

but whats crazy is, ive never had any infection related to the lbk by not un screwing the spignot and cleaning, and when I say this, I by NO means recommend anyone else do this, i'm pretty good at sanitizing it in place, I really respect all of you folks that do what is recommended. honestly, i'm very thorough when it comes to cleaning b4 brewing.

Those two statements are contradictory. Thorough cleaning would include taking the spigot off & cleaning it, as well as where the spigot contacts the LBK, which no matter how thorough you think you are, is not getting cleaned as well as it could (please notice the 'o' on that word).

I guess all I can say is, I hope your luck holds out.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 11:10 PM, HoppySmile! said:

oh! I looked at the very first LBK, the one that came with the kit, and I put the seal on the inside, its still there, intact and sealed. however, I never take the spignot out I just thoroughly clean around it and flush it. however, after further examining the other 6 lbk's I have, they all have the seals on the outside. maybe, just maybe I might have been the only one to receive a misprint manual??? 

Probably does not leak because of all the accumulated junk improving the seal - lol.

If you take it out and clean it will probably leak then (Murphy's law) 

This is the worst quality product I’ve every come across. You cheap ass keg leaked everywhere despite following directions exactly. Where’s  your quality control? I know it’s not in that rubber seal or the valve! I’ll have fun cleaning a sticky ass mess tonight. Thanks!  

10 minutes ago, Johnny5150 said:

This is the worst quality product I’ve every come across. You cheap ass keg leaked everywhere despite following directions exactly. Where’s  your quality control? I know it’s not in that rubber seal or the valve! I’ll have fun cleaning a sticky ass mess tonight. Thanks!  

Seems a bit harsh. I have two and never had a problem. Mr B customer service is excellent, they will be able to help you. 

56 minutes ago, Johnny5150 said:

I like how you joined an hour ago, took the time to choose a nice profile pic, then start your post about a poor product. 

Ive had 6 lbks and one 6 gallon fermenter from Mr Beer, all were flawless. 

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

I like how you joined an hour ago, took the time to choose a nice profile pic, then start your post about a poor product. 

Ive had 6 lbks and one 6 gallon fermenter from Mr Beer, all were flawless. 

I mean, not to be crass, but I'm co-signing this like a mofo!

this guy reminds me of john McEnroe.   scene: wimbeldon.  mcenroe serves.. net.  mcenroe examines his racket like something is seriously wrong. he serves again... fault. he re-examines racket, and throws it to the ground stomping on it. 'STUPID #(*&$#($*& RACKET! STUPID BLOODY )@(#&$)($&@)& RACKET! IT'S DEFECTIVE! I HATE THIS CHEAP THING!!!'...

always easier to blame the equipment isnt it?  i think we've all had our moments like this in all honesty. so.. deep breath. calm the hell down. write a tactful note to mr beer customer support and sit back and wait for them to assist you. more than likely you will be taken care of. they are really good ppl who take their customers seriously.

35 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

I believe I recall from the instructions or if not there, many places here on the forum, it calls for filling your LBK with water and doing a leak test. 

That is just common sense.  Don't blame the equipment for a mistake with regard to forward thinking.

I learned this the hard way early on. I certainly didn't blast Mr. Beer and put the blame on myself. It was my second batch and I was still learning. It did, however, turn out that the spigot hole in the LBK was not cut correctly and the leak was unavoidable. The gracious and helpful Mr. Beer customer service had no issues with sending me a replacement, for free. 

13 hours ago, Johnny5150 said:

Sorry to hear that! We do make every effort at quality control, but unfortunately every now and then a defective unit gets out. If you could please DM me your shipping information, I'll be happy to replace the fermenter and the beer.